• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
some one got to step up. Escpecially Tait his role is HUGE now.

Looking at a worst case scenario (hopefully it doesn't happen), if Symonds doesn't make it, the best XI then may be:

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Watson
Hodge
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Bracken
Tait
McGrath

Still is powerful batting wise, but hopefully Symonds comes through well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why does everyone suddenly have more faith in Tait than he's demonstrated he's worthy of?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed, and he's been very, very poor indeed in 3 out of those 4. He's not demonstrated any extraordinary tendency that's likely to lead to bags and bags of wickets - ironically, the time he swung the ball most was in his worst spell of the lot. Very few people seem to believe there's much chance of him bowling economically.

And people are saying "Tait now needs to step-up to the plate", etc. That's like saying "Harmison is the key to England's Ashes chances".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Watson and Johnson ain't slow, either.

But genuine pace is no use - at all - if you can't bowl in the right areas (it's a tired cliche, I know).

And Lee mightn't have been great at that but Tait, to date, has been darn near hopeless. And because of that, basing any hopes on him at all is IMO standing on very, very dodgy ground.

IF he gets 20 wickets at 22s and Australia win the comp, obviously, I'll have the World Cup Greigy, but I'd be prepared to bet a bit that he's less successful than near enough all the Australian attack.

pup11

International Coach
Why do people keep on saying tait is has been terrible so far, in his debut game he was poor and you can say that he was nervous, in the next game he bowled very well. In Game 2 of C-H trophy he was unlucky that lots of outside and inside edges went for 4 of his bowling, in Game 3 he picked 2 quick wickets and bowled really well at the death bowling near perfect yorkers(barring 5 wides he gave at the end).

pup11

International Coach
I would say Tait is a better bowler than Lee(when he was 23) because not only he is good at reverse swing(due to his round-arm action) but he is also a very good bowler at death (which lee still isn't).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Tait's such a good death-bowler why have we seen him go for stacks whenever he's bowled at the death?

And if you really think Tait bowled all that well in the two Chappell-Hadlee Trophy games, well... I think you're deluding yourself. Sure, he might've been a tad unfortunate at times, but he still went for plenty and plenty while taking 2 wickets in 19 overs (and having 0 catches dropped).

Tait to date has been very, very poor in his ODI career and is a wholly questionable selection.

pup11

International Coach
When it came to death bowling Tait was better than his experienced partner bracken, he gave run-a-ball at the end and bowled good yorkers and bouncers. You can't expect him to be your economical bowler, he would leak runs but also pick wickets its the likes of McGrath,bracken, clark who need to keep a check on runs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bracken is not a death-bowler. Being better than him means nothing.

It's no good McGrath and Bracken keeping it tight if Tait, Watson and Hogg are going round the park. You're still going to get big totals that way.

Evermind

International Debutant
He's played four games...
...and he has taken 5 wickets at 43.6 and 5.58 per over.

The young chap no doubt has a quick arm and a busload of talent, and I'd be the last person to discount him from an exceptional performance - it's just been 4 games, as you pointed out! But from what he has shown so far...well I won't be holding my breath.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bracken is not a death-bowler. Being better than him means nothing.

It's no good McGrath and Bracken keeping it tight if Tait, Watson and Hogg are going round the park. You're still going to get big totals that way.
Whenever Bracken came on to bowl at the death against the Black Caps in both the Commonwealth Bank and Chappell-Hadlee series the required rate was usually 8 or 9 an over and I always felt that we would not be able to get him away because of his good variations in pace.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But he still bowled that Full-Toss.

IMO, Bracken's wasted at the death. If you bowl him as an opener and then in the 30-40 sort of period (a la Pollock) you'll get 10-<40-? most times.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Out of interest, had you read this before you posted the above or did you arrive to your conclusion through observation?

http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/281283.html

I think it's widely acknowledged that Bracken is not a very good bowler at the death of an innings. Also interesting to note Bravo's presence on that list, considering that he's put in a couple of clutch performances with the ball at the death over the past year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Out of interest, had you read this before you posted the above or did you arrive to your conclusion through observation?

http://content-rsa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/281283.html

Not seen that before, nah.

If anything, it was the fact that Bracken's ER has gone up since he's become a perminant "senior" member of the side. That's seen him bowling at the death more often than he used to.

But... well... it's not exactly hard to see that he's no Yorker merchant. And no amount of changes of pace will make-up for that ITE.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really a misleading table - there are numerous examples where restricting a team to 70 off the last 10 would've been a good performance

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rubbish.

70 off the last 10 is poor. A good death-bowling-attack will always be capable of restricting any line-up to 60. Or less.