• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nasser Quits As England's ODI Captain

Rich2001

International Captain
Currently Nasser is giving a press confrence, about England going out of the World Cup, but instead used it to announced the news that he will step down as captain of the England ODI side.

(thinking about it maybe be better in the Cricket Chat section, feel free to move it if you wish)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd like to thank Nasser for his efforts as ODI captain - 50% isn't a bad strike rate when you consider the dire position when he took over.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I am worried about the England team now. I am sure that Stewart will retire and maybe even Caddick and without them the side will be very very weak:(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
vishnureddy said:
I am worried about the England team now. I am sure that Stewart will retire and maybe even Caddick and without them the side will be very very weak:(
That paves the way for youngsters to come in and the possibility of more exciting finds like James Anderson.

Rich2001

International Captain
vishnureddy said:
Iam 50/50 with that comment

Yes those are huge players BUT G.Thorpe has requested to be considered again and is agrubly one of the best One Day players we have produced in that Bevan style role.

Nasser has quit as Captain but not altogeter, I feel that England could go down the Sri Lanakan route, where you have your better One Day players and attackers at the top of the order etc... but then have a top Test player in at around 6/7.. to recover the inngs should it fall apart.

Also ok England's team might be weakened in the short term, but it gives the perfect oppotunity to get the new blood in now... where they will have 4 years to gel as a side and be ready for the next World Cup... remember we found Jimmy Anderson from nowhere and have 500 odd players in the county game that if we can't find 5 very good players then it's a worry.

And most importantly we are talking 3 players leaving we still have the core of our side that aren't going anywhere:-

Trescothick, Vaughan, Collingwood, Flintoff, Anderson, Giles etc etc

But who's your choice to take over, i've heard the following names today

- M.Trescothick
- M.Vaughan
- P.Collingwood
- M.Butcher
- A.Hollioak
- A.Flintoff

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd certainly like to see Butcher back in the fold from a playing point of view.

Regarding future possible ODI skippers, it seems that the selectors scuppered Trescothick the other day in the Namibia game (although David Graveney today categorically denied that he was NOT vice-captain since none had been appointed).

I'd not like to see Michael Vaughan encumbered with the job of ODI skipper - unless it was on the pitch only. Leave the diplomacy to the diplomats and the captaincy to the captain.

Hollioake? A few years ago he appeared to be being 'groomed' for the job - certainly in the press.

Freddy? Collingwood? Hmmmmm.

Anyone else?

Hey, it's not easy, is it?

OK, Ed's head on the block - Butcher. Shoot me down, boys.

Rich2001

International Captain
I'd certainly like to see Butcher back in the fold from a playing point of view.

It seems weird to me how a guy can't even get in the team, and lets admit Butcher hasn't even been close as such... Yet suddendly be selected as captain and be the first name on the team sheet... Let me clear my name here, I have nothing against Butcher afterall the guy has a wonderful cricket mind and thinks very much along the mind of Nasser...

Also whoever is captain needs to be a long-term choice and how old is Butcher now?

I'd not like to see Michael Vaughan encumbered with the job of ODI skipper - unless it was on the pitch only. Leave the diplomacy to the diplomats and the captaincy to the captain.

I think the two come hand in hand don't they, I agree M.Vaughan is in a fantastic spell and I think they should let him keep his mind free for his batting.. and think of him as a long term replacement in the Test Arena, same for Trescothick

Hollioake? A few years ago he appeared to be being 'groomed' for the job - certainly in the press.

Well he has it all doesn't he, his the Captain of his county and has played in the internation side before (hasn't he captained the OD side as well?).... he was in blinding form at the end of the domestic season and was very very unlucky to miss out on a World Cup place to the likes of Irani.

Freddy? Collingwood? Hmmmmm.

Freddy Suprised me and I fell there are many ahead on the list.

Collingwood, has comfirmed himself as a regular in the side and has a good cricketing mind... he doesn't bowl much so can keep an eye on the game, also he is a fantastic close fielder so is in the thick of the action to talk his bolwers though etc.

Anyone else?

Umm depends who they would bring in from the county sence

OK, Ed's head on the block - Butcher. Shoot me down, boys.

Bang! :P ;)

jonah

Cricket Spectator
OK I'm new to the forum guys but I'd like to agree with lucky eddie and go with Butcher. He may not be the youngest candidate, but I can't for the life of me understand why he's never been involved in the one day team, and, as I heard Goughie say on tv earlier, he's the next best player in the England set-up with the tactical nouse to take over from Nasser.
Btw, well done Nasser over the last few years in charge of the one day team. Keep it up in the Tests:) .

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Sad to see Nasir go like this. He's brought whatever little aggression to this side yet it just doesn't seem to pay off.

Whats wrong with you people ? I thought Tresco was the only candidate for that position ?! I mean he'sa fighter, playes positive and probably will take good t oresponsiblity.

Rich2001

International Captain
Gotchya said:
Sad to see Nasir go like this. He's brought whatever little aggression to this side yet it just doesn't seem to pay off.

Whats wrong with you people ? I thought Tresco was the only candidate for that position ?! I mean he'sa fighter, playes positive and probably will take good t oresponsiblity.
Well his still young and alot to learn in cricketing terms, and his one of England's best batsman at current, so if the captain's job effected his batting it would be a major blow to the team, just the same for M.Vaughan.

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
No-one has mentioned England's number 1 batsman in here until now.

Why not Nick Knight?
Isn't Knight 34/35 now... which means there's a strong possiblity that he wont be around for to much longer, I think England are eyeing up a younger player that a side can be built around for the long term, rather than a stop-gap - I may well be wrong though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I say Hollioake. He's led the side before in ODIs - with victory at Sharjah - and is an excellent all-rounder.

To back him, even with my dislike/hatred of Surrey, is something.

Butcher in ODIs is an interesting one... it would be tempting to try him to play a holding role. What's he like working it for Surrey in the List A games?

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Butcher in ODIs is an interesting one... it would be tempting to try him to play a holding role. What's he like working it for Surrey in the List A games?
I've always thought of Butch as a more attacking batsman in OD'ers than a holding role sort of player, I maybe wrong.

Just had a look at his stats, expecting to find a hard done by player who has been left in the cold for no-reason with all these prasies.

But Instead find he only avg's 27ish in nearly 150 matches along with only 17 - 50's and none have been converted, the closest being 91...

Matches - 148, Inngs - 131, NO - 25, Runs - 2948, HS - 91, Ave - 27.81, 100 - 0, 50 - 17, Ct - 47

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stats aren't everything. Last I checked, Blackwell's batting stats in OD cricket aren't Tendulkaresque.

Rich2001

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Stats aren't everything. Last I checked, Blackwell's batting stats in OD cricket aren't Tendulkaresque.
At least compare him to a like for like player, Blackwell is a lower-order player that hits the ball into next week. :P ;)

I wasn't trying to put Butcher down in that last post just saying that after all the people who have called for him to take over, his figures might have been a tad higher. And for an opener never to have converted a 50 into a 100 is quite rare.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1 of these 4 id choose to have as next captain

Marcus Trescothick
hes a quality player and seems to have the respect of his fellow players, for me hes the stand out, but hasnt seemed to have much luck as a skipper

Michael Vaughan
realatively inexperienced at international level, but maybe thats a good thing, hes cool, calm and collected on the field, maybe its good for england to have their best player as captain.

Graham Thorpe
one of England's best batsman in recent times, maybe spends too much time injured to get the job, but id consider him as a good prospect as vice captain, and the fill in skipper when the full time captain is injured/resting

Nick Knight
I like the way he plays the game, nice and aggressive, he has an attitude his fellow players could thrive off, I wouldnt discount him as a chance, like Thorpe though, may be better suited to Vice Captain.

jonah

Cricket Spectator
Can't see Thorpe getting it. I've just read Atherton's book, and although he has the utmost respect for him, says he lets off the field problems interfere with his cricket too much (or words to that effect). How would he have reacted to the 'Zimbabwe affair', and all the other non-playing problems associated with the captain's job?