• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The day-night farce

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well so far we have seen in this competition, that the day night games are becoming a joke, because whoever wins the toss bats first and normally wins the match..

I have seen lots of d/n cricket from SA, and I have never seen such different conditions from day to night. I dont know if it is the time of year, but it is so bad that all the matches in the interior have been made into day matches, where presumably due to altitude they have loads of dew.

What are your views, does this happen all over the world. I know in England it doesnt get dark till very late, and the floodlights are really tiny. But is the concept of day night cricket a good one?

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
It works different ways.
Sometimes the dew is a boon to bowlers.
Other times, excessive dew makes life terrible for spinners- they cant grip the ball. Also fielders can have a tough time with the dew.
Also, there seems to be that much added pressure chasing under lights for some reason.
Unless the pitch starts slowing thing a lot there is generally no real difference whether you bat first or second.

If the team batting second starts believing they are screwed.. then they probably are.

Langeveldt, so do you actually notice any difference in the D/N encounters? If so, what?
In today's D/N in Cape Town WI made it pretty close to the Lankan total, and may have got there but for the injury to Sarwan.
It certainly wasnt as one sided as the earlier match there.

IMO, the concept of D/N is a very good one. But not if the conditions are indeed in significant imbalance.
I'm not completely convinced yet that that is the case so far, especially given the history of D/N matches in SA.

PY

International Coach
Heard a rumour about the Durban ground that the locals firmly believe and that's that if the tide is high on the coast and as the cricket ground is only a metre above sea level the water table rises and a thicker layer of dew arrives. Don't know whether this is actually true or not but could be. Apologies if someones mentioned this before.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Thanks PE.
I hadnt heard of that.
If that's the case it could affect the movement in the air. How much and in what manner is dependent on the particular venue..
However, it's surprising that this problem didnt surface earlier then- teams batting second have a statistical advantage in Durban.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I wonder if it's the first time games have been played there at this point in the lunar month?

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
I wonder if it's the first time games have been played there at this point in the lunar month?

Well with venus being high and all that, love is in the air, meaning the ball might swing more....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think that todays match, being so close doesn't add or detract from the argument.

My first thoughts were that England outplayed Pakistan fair and square and that the conditions had nothing to do with it.

My second thoughts were that India were aided and abetted by the conditions against England (come on, like everyone else I support my team and I am only human)

My third thought was that the England Pakistan match was won by England because of the conditions.

My fourth thought was that India totally outplayed England - and that's why they won.

My fifth thought was (as Anil or Masterblaster or er someone else pointed out) that history suggested that there was no real advantage one way or the other due to the conditions (point one really).

My sixth thought was that PERHAPS it was the type of ball used.

My seventh thought is that I am as confused as ever and need beer.

My eighth thought is why did I change from plural to singular in my thought(s)?