• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World cup leading Runs Scorers.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Who do you think will be the leading Run scorers in the world cup?

According to bookmakers bet365 Ponting and Hayden are joint favorites.

"Hayden and Ponting favourites to pile on World Cup runs
Matthew Hayden and Ricky Ponting are joint-favourites to be the World Cup's leading run-scorers, according to bookmakers bet365. Top South African opener Herschelle Gibbs and Indian star Sachin Tendulkar follow the Aussies at 14/1. "

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Well the leading run scorer would be the one who gets to play the maximum no of matches.In my opinion he should be from either Aus or SA (even if NZ plays the final, it is unlikely that any of its batsmen would end up as the leading scorer).

I would say that the leading scorer would either be Hayden or Gibbs!

masterblaster

International Captain
Sehwag's got a chance, so does Tendulkar. Jaysuriya, Ponting, Hayden, Gilchrist, Gibbs, theyve all got a chance.

Last time it was Rahul Dravid, and the one before that Sachin Tendulkar

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
warrioryohannan said:
Well the leading run scorer would be the one who gets to play the maximum no of matches.In my opinion he should be from either Aus or SA (even if NZ plays the final, it is unlikely that any of its batsmen would end up as the leading scorer).

Well Guess what?? In the last WC, India didn't even made it to the semis yet one of its player in Dravid was the leading run scorer:cool2: , so to claim that the leading run scorer would definately be from the finalist team is incorrect!

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
warrioryohannan said:

Well Guess what?? In the last WC, India didn't even made it to the semis yet one of its player in Dravid was the leading run scorer:cool2: , so to claim that the leading run scorer would definately be from the finalist team is incorrect!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
OK, but a player from finalist team still has more opportunity to end up as the leading scorer.

And there wasn't any need to enter the same post twice:D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Gilly also hass a chance

Chances
Gilly
Hayden
Ponting
Shewag
tendulkar
Jayasuria
Attapattu
Sarwan
Gayle
Gibbs
Rhodes
Astle
Knight
Anwar
Kallis

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Looking at the groups, if they play all their Group games, it should be an Aussie batsman, as in addition to facing the mighty attacks of Zimbabwe, Namibia and Holland, they also have to face India and England!

South Africa's opponents in the Group stage are a lot better bowling wise.

anzac

International Debutant
I agree with Marc so long as the Aussies don't rotate in the Pool games V the Minnows.

I'd be surprised if an Indian made it top run scorer for 3 tourneyments in a row. The only way I see that happening is if only 1 or 2 players (Sehwag & Dravid) scored the majority of their runs, as I think they will struggle on the pitches following on from their loss of confidence in NZ.

:)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matt Hayden will be the leading scorer.
but im going to have a bet on Trescothick i think as well.

Bazza

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
South Africa's opponents in the Group stage are a lot better bowling wise.
What like Canada, Kenya, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies and New Zealand. Not many 'potent' attacks there!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:
What like Canada, Kenya, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, West Indies and New Zealand. Not many 'potent' attacks there!
As a whole the attacks of Canada, Kenya and Bangladesh are far worse than those of Namibia, Holland and Zimbabwe.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Bond, Adams, Tuffey & Vettori are bowling well then they will be tough to get away.