• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* The Zimbabwe Situation

What should the outcome be?

• The situation's OK - if it were me I'd go

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • They should be allowed to miss, but share points

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • If they choose to not play, they should forfeit the points

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Does it really matter as Aus will win the World Cup regardless

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
anzac said:
as per my post on the other thread on this subject......

While Mugabe has been around for a while, I think he now appears as a despot clinging to power by any means available to him.

Mugabe has been accused of all kinds of power abuse in the eighties but it never caused much of a flutter in the west.Now with his land redistribution plan suddenly the western press, specially the ones in England and Australia have put the spotlight on him.

His elections earlier were also controversial but due to the spotlight on the land issue, this last election got a whole lot of coverage in the western press and because everybody in England and Australia wanted him out, this whole hoopla of his election not being a valid one has been raked up.Yes, it may be true, but a lot of elections all over the world have been controversial not to mention the previous elections in Zim itself.

Yes if player security is concerned, its a different matter and needs to be decided by the respective governments.My feeling is that security is a non-issue in Zim and the clamour for boycott is more political then anything else.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes but it is happening now and has been for a few years, to be fair no one should have played in Zimbabwe for a long time, but they have. And although they have it doesn't mean they still have to.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Yes but it is happening now and has been for a few years, to be fair no one should have played in Zimbabwe for a long time, but they have. And although they have it doesn't mean they still have to.
All kinds of sports are played all over the world in countries with unsavory reputations.... Olympics are going to be held in Beijing in 2008...it was held in Moscow in 1980.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't see why Cricket in Zimbabwe should be a special case here. No one's been bothered about playing football in Russia (yeah, there have been games moved to neutral grounds, but not games in 'safe' Moscow) despite their knocking seven shades out of the Chechens. Whilst there have been ceasefires in Israel, teams have gone there.

"What if someone gets killed" - What if someone gets killed on any tour? I would say it's no more likely to happen in Zimbabwe than anywhere else. Everyone has toured there, worry-free, for years.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Everyone has their own opinions on this touchy subject.

Also one of my ambitions in life is to go to Zimbabwe but I would go nowhere near it until Mugabe is finished. I'm 19, how old do you reccon I'll be when it's safe to go?

jaspalsinghrana

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Rik said:
Everyone has their own opinions on this touchy subject.

Also one of my ambitions in life is to go to Zimbabwe but I would go nowhere near it until Mugabe is finished. I'm 19, how old do you reccon I'll be when it's safe to go?

I'm not sure as to whose safety are we talking about over here, is it Rik's safety or the Afrikan's safety?? Coz if Rik does happen to tour Zimb then the natives are more likely to be at risk:saint:

jaspalsinghrana

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:

"What if someone gets killed" - What if someone gets killed on any tour? I would say it's no more likely to happen in Zimbabwe than anywhere else. Everyone has toured there, worry-free, for years.
Agreed. Pakistan has just toured Zimb , has played test matches and 5 onedays without any trouble atll.If somone does want to boycott playing in Zimb, then secuirity to players simply can't be an excuse!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What annoys me about the England situation is you've got all these politicians sayin we shouldn't go there and play, yet their not prepared to help with the near £1million pounds that the ICC is going to demand from us if we pull out.

If that happens, the money will have to come from a non-profit-making organisation and would severely hamper grass roots and/or schools cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ive been to Zimbabwe, although it was a while ago, i doubt there is any cause for concern over safety. This is a moral judgement the players and politicians face.

Why not play the matches in SA, and the ICC compensate the Zimbabwean Cricket Union, who are not loaded with cash for the lost revenue.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That last "solution" would mean that the Zimbabwean Cricket public would miss out on being able to see the matches.

anzac

International Debutant
I was not aware of much that had been going on until highlighted thru sport. Regardless of how long it has been going on, once we are made aware of the situation should we then not make some effort / statement regarding the issues?????? To say that teams have been playing there throughout the period is only relevant to those persons involved at the time. What is important is what we do know that we know what the situation is!

If we do not say / do something because the same situation is been going on for some time, or that it is being repeated elsewhere & no one has boycotted the other nations / sports involved, then where do we draw the line - if at all?????

I understand that there is a lot of nasty crap going on all over the world, but the line has to be drawn somewhere between internal political disputes & breaches of human rights etc. Once the line is crossed then some action needs to be taken.

Sport may become the focal point that highlights the issue, but it should not be the sole body taking any action. As soon as the pollies open their mouths and start talking boycott, then IMO this action should be instigated by them, independant of any action by the sporting bodies - otherwise all they are doing is passing the buck!!!!!

Until the world community starts to get it's collective act together re our responsibilities & obligations for each other's welfare, then we ae always going to have opportunities for these abuses to take place. Has anyone taken these issues to the UN (not just the Zim situation)???? Isn't this one of the reasons it was formed from the League of Nations - or is everyone too distracted re Iraq & N Korea?????

Nothing will happen re the WC untill:
a. - it is no longer looked upon as a 'player safety issue' by the sporting bodies, but more of a moral / human rights issue;
b. - it is no longer looked upon as an issue for that sport, and the pollies & other groups start to take independant action of their own.

:!( :!( :!(

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Why is the Cricket World Cup suddenly being used as a political football...

Why is it that only England & Australia are particularly bothered about playing the games in Zimbabwe, while Namibia, Holland, India & Pakistan couldn't care less?

Why didn't England & Aus mind touring SA with the Quota selection system in force?

Re: Zimbabwe and global institutions - the Commonwealth voted not to impose sanctions upon them IIRC.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
The government in Australia and England are making a very stupid case of their position not to tour Zim.They are unwilling to take up an official position either in the form of an UN resolution or a cancellation of Zim's commonwealth membership or something of that sort, because they know that the position is completely untenable.No one is going to support them in such a situation.But if they really believe what they say, they should atleast have the courage to make these decisions in their national sphere of influence.....I would think that the cricket board would be in that sphere,right ? :)

So they are busy raking up the issue by shooting off in the media about what the ICC and the national cricket board should do.That's like putting the onus of national policy decisions on the person on the street.Its ridiculous.

Anybody not playing in Zim should forfeit the points, and come up with damages for the financial side of the debacle for the Zim cricket board.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Wow, for the first time, one of my posts has been made official!

Pity it has to be such a controversial subject.

I see the Government is now going to meet with the ECB to discuss the situation.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a very touchy subject and I just don't agree with what Mugabe is doing, and what is happening in the world I think takes presidence over Cricket. He is a dictator like Saddam Hussain and I don't think people should be going along with him just because the World Cup is due to be played there.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I know there's an argument that he's been in power for ages and no one has blinked an eye but there is now a chance to prove to him that the world won't take the way he's acting. As the old adage goes: " There is never a better time than the present"

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
So we just don't play the Cricket World Cup and keep trading? Or unilateral action?
I'd say both, depribe him of what he craves, attention, and soon his wheels will fall off.