• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Blewy's Season 5 Cup Proposal

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok guys, i know how many of you like the Cup/KO so much, So i've put myself to thinking about a way we can get this back up and running where we have minimal troubles.

We all know that VC4 had some bugs when it came to lower overs, things got a bit crappy.

So my proposal is this.

60 overs a side
30 WCC sides + 10 Academy teams
Top 15 WCC 1D sides seeded by the Board

Now for the workings..

Prelim Round
10 Academy sides playoff with the 5 winners entering the main draw.

Round 1
Un-seeded WCC sides + 5 Academy sides =(20 teams) 10 through to Round 2

Round 2
10 winners from Round 1 + Seeds 8-15 =(18 teams) 9 through to Round 3

Round 3
9 winners from Round 2 + Seeds 1-7 =(16 teams) 8 through to 1/4's

Quarters
8 winners from Round 3

Semi's
4 winners from Quarters

Final
2 winners from Semi's

I also know how a few people were against the VB sponsorship deal, so i have decided not to renew it, and will look for suggestions to see who can sponsor this new cup..

Please post your ideas, and thoughts. whether they be good or bad...

Blewy

Graham

3rd Umpire
Happy with it if others are although I'd prefer more a group style format with top two sides from each progressing to knockout phase. However that could be too long or too much work or both

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the only downside to the group stage idea IMO is the length Graham.. i mean if your having 3-4 rounds of games before you even hit the KO stages which could have 4 rounds itself.. this way also minimises the amount of games each round rather then 15 each which would occur in the group format

nibbs

International Captain
just another idea blewy which wouldn't involve seedings:

round 1 (16 teams play for spots in round 2, 24 teams get round off and are automatically into round 2, the draw is randomly decided)

round 2 (remaining 32 sides play each other, 16 sides advance)

round 3 (remaining 16 sides play each other, 8 sides advance)

quarter finals (remaining 8 sides play each other, 4 sides advance)

semi finals (remaining 4 sides play each other, 2 sides advance)

final (remaining 2 sides play each other, champion found)

the thing i like about the random draw and non seedings is that it gives a chance for division 5 sides to really ride their luck and potentially go a long way.

nibbs

International Captain
i have one more idea. in New Zealand Rugby teams play for the Ranfurly Shield. It really awesome and just adds something special to the matches where teams play for it. Basically the holder must put it on the line whenever they play at home.

I think that we could get a similar thing going here. It wouldn't count for much except certain matches would have extra emphasise on them each season. There would probably only be 10 challenges a year but in the week leading up to each match it could mean high drama and wars of words which could be awesome. I think it has the potential to travel around the divisions too if it is played for in both forms of the game. It could be called something like the Lehmann Shield, lol, but who knows.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see how seedings are different to random draw.. The low teams are going to have to play the hard teams sometime, and by the time they come up against them this way the low sides will have combinations, whereas the top sides will be going blind.... Its also a more realistic situation..

Added to this there is a possibility that the top 2 seeds draw to play each other in Round 3 and one of them is out...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
as i said to u before blewy, im not keen on 60 overs, it may as well be 50 overs if its gonna be a normal length 1d game.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
60 is good or even 75 just a thought but yer anythnig that isnt just plain 50 over one day match would be relaly good and exciting.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
i like blewys idea, i prefer 60 overs, if it was 50 overs why bother, we allready have a 50 over one day series, 60 just adds a different light to the situation. 25 would be great but we all know what vc4 is like with quick games, its bug issues are just to common.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
bugssy said:
i like blewys idea, i prefer 60 overs, if it was 50 overs why bother, we allready have a 50 over one day series, 60 just adds a different light to the situation. 25 would be great but we all know what vc4 is like with quick games, its bug issues are just to common.

Ok from what i read, most are happy with the format..

To the few who are up for 50 overs, i just feel that having 50 over leagues would get a bit repetitive...
I am willing to look at either 40 or 60 overs...

Ill post a poll if people could vote...