• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Class Round 5 Selection Announcements

ash chaulk

International Captain
WARWICKSHIRE SPIN DUO BACK FOR CLASH

Ins: Gayle, Rigby
Out: Akhtar, Lawrence

Warwickshire have brought back in form spinner Gayle who playing under a different name last week cheated his way to 6 wickets in the 2nds. His form timing could not be better as Warwickshire sit bottom of the table after 4 rounds. Another key in is contracted player Rigby who after been given a weeks rest should be fresh enough to bowl a lot of overs.

On the runs department no changes to the top and middle orders as the batsmen are still looking for some form. Last match no player managed to reach 50 or above.

O Gayle happy to be back

Rigbys back in the team.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Yorks manager keeps the faith
A week out from their Round 5 encounter with new South Wales, Yorkshire manager Greg Thomas today announced an unchanged line up to take on the Blues at the SCG.
The batting order remains the same though there are question marks over a few players heads.
Opening batsman K Agnew is yet to pass fifty, despite a number of starts that see him averaging 23.14. Middle order stroke maker P Marsden has had a forgettable season thus far. His 50 in the last match might just have saved him from being axed, but his overall form in First Class and One Day 2nd XI matches has been poor.
Surprisingly, the player with the biggest question mark hanging over him is Mahela Jayawardene.
The Sri Lankan international averages a paltry 15.43 this season, his highest score a 41.
As the fourth highest run scorer in the history of the WCC, Yorkshire fans - and management - have been dissappointed with his lack of runs.
Batting coach Stuart Law spoke to the press outside the Bankstown nets today, where Yorkshire were practicing.
"Mahela's form has been pretty dissappointing. He's a giant of the WCC and his weight of runs shows that. He's a top performer and a hard worker, so I don't think he'll be averaging below 40 much longer" he commented.
The man himself spoke to the press after a long batting session, where he seemed to be getting into the rythym.
"I sense that there's been disappointment surrounding my form - none more so than myself. Apart from a couple of innings, I haven't felt comfortable at the crease. I don't know, I just don't think I'm in the groove yet" he said, somewhat short of breath.

Jayawardene will be hoping for a big score against the New South Welshmen.

There is speculation surrounding a major shake up which would see three players replaced and the batting order changed dramatically. Rumours say Lou Vincent could replace Agnew at the top of the order while Marsden, Silva and Jayawardene will be dropped if they don't perform in the next round.
Captain Michael Dawn was visibly angry at such rumours.
"They're completely not true. They are what they are - just rumours. Greg and I discuss the team mix constantly and I know there are no plans for such a change. He's made it clear he doesn't want to drop and promote players on a whim" he spat.
While the heat is off Roy Silva for now after a great all-round performance vs Karachi, that cover won't last long and he'll need to repeat that effort more often if he wants to keep his place, especially with Zahid Saeed banging on the door.
As far as bowling goes for the match against NSW, all eyes will be on the teams premier spinner - Danish Kaneria.
The raging turn of the SCG should be well suited to his bowling and one feels he will be key if Yorkshire are going to beat NSW at home.

The Yorkshire XI to play NSW in batting order: K Agnew, M Dawn (c), M Love, W Tendulkar, M Jayawardene (vc), P Marsden, L Vincent (wk), R Silva, F Evans, P Laker, D Kaneria.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cope continues to get overlooked

After another match winning 5wh for the 2nd spinner Omar Cope continues to get overlooked for the 1st XI. After leading the 2nd XI wicket tally many expected Cope to take a spot in the Colts starting XI. But manager Tharmi Loganathan has decide take an unchanged XI for the top of table clash aganist Tasmania.

Many critics feel that Cope is being unfair treaty due to Loganathan perference of Murali Mudugalle. Mudugalle has been solid this season, without being great with only one five wicket haul.

Loganathan had this to say on selections, "The boys are starting to find their feet together and i think with Imraan Khan play the seamer bowling all rounder spot, our side is really balance. I have read a lot of things about Omar not getting selected. His being playing brilliantly for 2nds, but I think Murali adds something extra to the side with his attacking nature and his been starting to find some form himself"

A victorty against the boys from Hobart would see the Colts jump up to 2nd spot. Its seems that the importance of this game, has changed Loganathan perspective on Four Day Cricket. At the start of the season Loganathan was saying the Four Day Matches were just warm up matches for the One Day Championship. But things seem to have changed recently with Colts heading to Kandy at the start of the week rather then on the eve of the matches like in previous weeks.

In other news Romesh Kaluwitharana continues to make his impact on the 2nd XI with the struggling Indian middle order batsmen Shikher Dhawan being relived of his Vice Captaincy. Kaluwitharana close friend and Club Captian Andrew Symonds will take over as vice captain. Dhawan has kept his spot in the middle order. Quintaz Birch has also been named in the side and its hoped that he will recover from a virus and hip injury that has kept him out of the last two matches. Salman But has been named on standby if he doesn't recover (or Jamee can't find him the database).

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oulton demoted as Mash seek comeback

Mashonaland manager Andy Cameron today announced that an unchanged XI would play against Mumbai, only with a different batting order.

"We have the advantage of having three openers in our team. This means, that when a key player like Quentin Oulton is underperforming, we can demote him to the middle order and give the third opener, Pravanjan Mullick, a chance at the top. Additonally, Gibbs will be batting one lower at number 5, with Oulton slotting in between him and Quinn Roll at number 3. Quentin's been playing well in the one day game, so it's clear to us that he's seeing the ball well, we're just needing for him to start replicating some of that in first class cricket."

Cameron also touched upon his team's poor run of form in FC.

"We've really been struggling to play good, consistent cricket. We've had singular performances, but we've been missing that big team effort, especially with the bat. Hopefully this new look batting order will sort a few things out for us, as Mashonaland really need to start getting wins on the board, while some batting points would be nice as well."

The team Cameron named for their upcoming clash was:
P Mullick, J Lewis, Q Roll, Q Oulton, W Gibbs, R Gavaskar, B Straw, J Midlane, B Joshi, D Prasad, B Matthie

cricketboy29

International Regular
Queensland's Manager Nayak is retaining faith in his squad despite suffering a loss last time. But he said he was running out of patience with certain individuals and this would be their last chance to prove that they were fit for the FC squad.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Free Stae manager Xavier Rose in his press conference today has stated that his team will be an unchanged XI for their upcoming match against Kent in the WCC FC Division 2 competition.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Western Province Goes in Unchanged

Despite both sides copping the proverbial shellacking last week, the selection committee at Western Province has decided to go into this week's match against South African rivals Northerns with the same 1st XI as what fronted up against Tamil Nadu last week, and one minor change in the 2nd XI

With Puttick still out injured, and Shane Watson still not out of his form slump, Manager Jack McNamara is looking at Oliver Clarke to step up and pick up the slack, while hoping Fred Funston can develop on the glimpses of form he displayed last week with the bat.

Ian Chilvers, the promising rookie, is still out of the 2nd XI side, and Grant Shaw has been chosen to fill in for him, after Iqbal Tahir's unimpressive showing last week.

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
Embattled Victorian Batsman Brad Hodge, was today fined $50,000 and suspended for 3 matches, for an altercation involving a bouncer, outside a Melbourne Nightclub, during the week. Hodge has been stood down as captain of the first class side, and will be forced to earn his place back into the top side via the 2s.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Gordon goes down

A training ground injury to Upul Gordon has given 2nd XI star spinner Omar Cope a chance in the first XI. After speadster Gordon broken down at training today with a likely broken arm Colts manager decided to bring in Omar Cope into the 1st XI, after some excepational performances for the 2nds. Cope will combined with fellow spinner Murali Mudugalle to form a two man spin attack which will be supported by seamers Khan and Exley. The loss of Gordon for around two months will be a massive blow of the Colts especially on the more seam friendly conditions away from home in coming rounds.

In other selection news 2nd XI manager Romesh Kulawitharana has decide to call in Pakistan International Salman Butt to replace Omar Cope. Kulawitharana decide to go with an extra batsmen as four frontline bowlers were already in the XI. Salman Butt will slot in at number 3 dropping captain Gerry Liebenberg into the middle order at No. 4. Farhan Abbasi has been placed on standby for spin bowling all rounder Quintaz Birch who will have a fitness test later this week.

PS. Is Q Birch still the database Jamee, cus i really need to make sure as i only have three bowlers without him.

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeh hes in the database, ill make sure thats the birch's are swapped before i send it back to jamee...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Coach_Pearson said:
Embattled Victorian Batsman Brad Hodge, was today fined $50,000 and suspended for 3 matches, for an altercation involving a bouncer, outside a Melbourne Nightclub, during the week. Hodge has been stood down as captain of the first class side, and will be forced to earn his place back into the top side via the 2s.
50k, geez dont want to upset the coach down in victoria :p

andyc

Rizan given chance as Straw is ruled out

For what will come as a blow to their first class campaign, allrounder Ben Straw was today ruled out of playing any cricket for five weeks after suffering a calf strain. Straw picked up the injury at training yesterday, where he reportedly slipped on a misplaced cricket ball.

Following the decision by doctors, Mashonaland manager Andy Cameron named Abuthahir Rizan as Straw's replacement.
"Abuthahir has been pushing for a spot in the 1sts all season. He's a capable lower order batsman, and while it'd be hard for anyone to replace someone like Straw who earns his place on both batting and bowling, we're confident that Rizan will perform for us."

"Obviously, this injury comes at an unfortunate time for us, as we're coming off consecutive losses, but it gives other players a chance to prove themselves. We've been toying with the idea of two spinners for a while, and this will give Rizan and [Ben] Joshi a chance to bowl together and hopefully get us some wickets."

Abuthahir Rizan has been called up

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Rice recalled at Sami's expense

Seamer Michael Rice has been given a recall ahead of Tasmania's clash with Colts at the Bellerive Oval. The player who Rice replaces, Mohammad Sami has been in reasonable form so far this season, so the decision to replace him may come as shock to some.

"It's a bit of a gamble really, but a big part of the decision is to see how Mike goes, so we can see how things are going when we roll up at a seamer's paradise. He's had one game this season, and took 4 wickets @ 9.50, so he's done absolutely nowt wrong this season. I am very much expecting a spinning wicket come Saturday, but Mike and Mickey (Lampard) have adapted well to the surface this season, and I must say so has Sami."

"The batting line up's t'same as for t'rest of t'games, Neil Ferreira keeps hisplace following his lovely hundred last week. The batting is beginning to worry me a little, but luckily for them, there's no one really breathing down their neck in the seconds."

V Chandrasekh
G Eaton
K Bulman
R Arnold
M Goodwin (c)
S Raina
N Ferreira (wk)
J Sharma
M Lampard
R Dhamika
M Rice

Matteh

Karachi announce slightly altered side.

With Saradesi still out with a knee needing reconstructuring, his place has been taken by Kyle Mills who has been given another chance to perform with the bat. In 3 FC matches this season he has scored 95 runs at an average of 19.00. and taken 5 wickets at 36.20. It is likely that if he doesn't perform that he may not return to the 1st XI setup for some time.

The other change to the Karachi team is due to the pitch conditions at Karachi. The pitch is extremely spin friendly, and so the decision was made to bring in another spinner for a pacer. Ian Cook replaces Paul Norman who after taking 4 wickets in 2 matches for 46 was easily the worst performing pacer in the Karachi squad so far. Ian Cook has played 2 matches this season as well taking 5 wickets at an average of 27.60.

It is hoped that after a few lacklustre batting performances that the batsmen finally start to properly support their bowlers who have been performing well 3 of whom have taken 15+ wickets and 2 averaging under 20.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Big changes in nsw blues line up

some big names have made way for the nsw blues fc team this weekend v yorkshire. in a must win game manager Bugs Malone announced the side from his wifes hospital bed in John hunter hospital with the birth of his new baby girl.

C Smith comes in to open the batting and hoping to strengthen the top of the order. some positional changes and hoping nsw can get it all together and get a must needed win to keep there fc hopes alive. Q Moore & I Bloom again will lead the attack with plenty of wickets between them manager bugs malone is hoping that they can rip through yorkshires top order.

cometer

State Regular
Leicestershire confident going into match against bottom side Warwickshire.

The manager of Leics during the week has been riding off claims of the match being over within 3 days. As far as he is concerned, a bottom side can be even more dangerous then a mid table side as the bottom side come out hungry for a win whilst the higher ranked opposition take them too lightly as if they'll just fall away. Media reporters have constantly talked about how it would be a failure to the campaign if Leicestershire were to lose come this match, and the manager has comments for them. He also stated to his team that although they may be bottom we must still treat them as if they are above us on the ladder and that we will need to perform in order to beat them. Such is the competition that one loss can slide a team down the ladder quickly as the competition is still wide open. With tough games coming up shortly this is a match that should Leicestershire win, would give them some breathing space over the bottom 3 and could give the local fans the chance to celebrate a successful season. The players and fans know it, only the game is left to decide whether or not Leicestershire can claim their 2nd win of the season in the first class format.

The side to take on Warwickshire in unchanged yet again but the board have revealed worrying signs of 2nd side player L Beal over his injury proneness. He had just come back from injury and is now out injured again for another 4 weeks.