• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yuvraj Or Chopra

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Shall? I don't know, that depends on how smart they are.
Should? Without a doubt in my mind I want Chopra opening, and I'm a big Yuvraj fan.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Shall? I don't know, that depends on how smart they are.
Should? Without a doubt in my mind I want Chopra opening, and I'm a big Yuvraj fan.
Yuvraj is no test opener. (i know, I know ..dont throw Sehwag at me). It has to be Chopra for want of an option.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj Singh is definitely an enigmatic player. At his best, he can be quite destructive. He hits the big shots, he can play well on pitches with bounce and is a very good fielder and runner between wickets. At the same time, he has two left feet against spinners (very unlike any Indian batsman) and his shot selection is not that good, either. What do you do with him? Play him as an opener? Number 3? Number 6? This applies to both international and lower level matches.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
Yuvraj should do it easily - he also adds alot more in the field
He could easily make the Indian Test team but for his weaknesses against spin. A senior player or ex-player must get to him and help him out. Or, for that matter, a spinner from the present team or past.

Majin

International Debutant
Chopra, no doubt. But then his weakness against spin means he's better off opening probably, but I think Chopra and Sehwag are fine together.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
chopra hands down, personally i dont really rate yuvraj but in this insatance i really chopra is definitrely the better option.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
I'm fairly sure that Yuvraj will open after the A team game.
What's the point? It's just one game! He's not been doing well consistently at that position, is he?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Look, read what I post or don't reply. Where have I put that I agree with that?

The selectors clearly want to go with him, and now they have 'evidence'.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I think yuvraj will open and I WANT yuvraj to open as well. How do you guys know he won't be a good opener unless you have seen him opening? He just got a 100 in that position.....so there's enough to suggest he will do well. He should be given a chance to open. It could be a gamble but it may pay big dividends (think sehwag)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yuvraj Singh, just like Virender Sehwag, is not an opener.
In time, hopefully both will be shown.
Aakash Chopra, on the evidence of his Test-career thus far, is not a Test-class batsman.
Personally I'd much prefer Sridharam Sriram or Shiv Sunder Das to open but by the looks of things that won't happen for a while.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Yuvraj Singh, just like Virender Sehwag, is not an opener.
In time, hopefully both will be shown.
Aakash Chopra, on the evidence of his Test-career thus far, is not a Test-class batsman.
Personally I'd much prefer Sridharam Sriram or Shiv Sunder Das to open but by the looks of things that won't happen for a while.
Because Das and his Test average of 34.89 is appreciably more Test-class? Chopra has played 8 games, averged less than 2 runs under 30 per innings and been involved in some big partnerships. Give the man a chance to truly fail.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Das has not been all that good.
However, he would be considered far better than he is, I'm absolutely certain, had he been involved with some of the stands of the nature Chopra has.
I fail to see how Chopra has done better than many other Indian openers - he himself has done a similar thing, others have simply not had the benefit of someone like Sehwag scoring at the pace and weight that he has done while Chopra has been there.
IMO Chopra has failed worse than many Indian openers have been given the chance to.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Das has not been all that good.
However, he would be considered far better than he is, I'm absolutely certain, had he been involved with some of the stands of the nature Chopra has.
I fail to see how Chopra has done better than many other Indian openers - he himself has done a similar thing, others have simply not had the benefit of someone like Sehwag scoring at the pace and weight that he has done while Chopra has been there.
IMO Chopra has failed worse than many Indian openers have been given the chance to.
I personally like Ramesh, but I still don't see Chopra as a failure as yet. That's probably because I don't consider cricket simply a game of statistics.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nor do I, by any stretch - but equally I do consider someone who has scored so few runs in 15 innings a failure.
That does not, of course, mean he can't redress that - we've seen some people do that, Stephen Waugh for one example.
I also liked Ramesh - but equally I simply cannot fathom why Sriram has never played a Test when so many inferiors of his have been tried (such as Devang Gandhi).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Chopra and Ramesh should be the Indian openers.

Sehwag and Yuvraj simply dont have the technique. Sehwag's success over the last year can simply be put down to being in form, but Im sure he will eventually fail.

Poorwa

Cricket Spectator
Prince EWS said:
Chopra and Ramesh should be the Indian openers.

Sehwag and Yuvraj simply dont have the technique. Sehwag's success over the last year can simply be put down to being in form, but Im sure he will eventually fail.
I totallty agree!! Yuvraj is best suited for middle order.... n as for sehwag... oh well!!!! :dry:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But what about the fact that these matches will probably be played in dusty Indian flat wickets? I guess for this series alone, it might not be such a bad idea to have Yuvi and Sehwag opening, but I guess a lot rides on if Sachin will play or not.