• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Youth World Cup - February 2004

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Under 19 World Cup

A scorecard to saviour from the European Qualifiers:

http://uk.cricinfo.com//link_to_dat...ERMANY-U19_IRELAND-U19_U19-WCQ_25JUL2003.html

Ireland 312/8
Germany 27 (Extras 14, T Mahmood 7)

Followed by:

http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...FRANCE-U19_IRELAND-U19_U19-WCQ_29JUL2003.html

France 41 (Extras 21, S Hewawalandanage 8)
Ireland 45/0 (5.1 overs)

Left arm spinner Gary Kidd ended the tournament with 14 wickets @ 3.93

They might actually do something at the U19 World Cup in Bangladesh in February, perhaps?

Ireland and Scotland join Nepal and Canada in qualifying for the 16-team event, and will be joined by the winner of the African/Pacific qualifiers in early October.

And, from the European U13 Championships...

Have you seen many worse shots than this? (Scotland v Denmark)

Rich2001

International Captain
Re: Under 19 World Cup

Neil Pickup said:
Have you seen many worse shots than this? (Scotland v Denmark)
Quite amusing that it looks as if his looking and thinking "Now how did that get through"

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If you look at where he is standing, i'd say he's a tailender backing away from the delivery..OR..he's taken guard on legstump which is quite bizarre.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
OR..he's taken guard on legstump which is quite bizarre.
I think you'll find that most professional players take their guard on leg-stump or sometimes on middle-and-leg. RARELY do you see players take their guard on middle.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the only time you would want to take guard on legstump would be if you shuffle around the crease too much making yourself vunerable to lbw's.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Who cares anyway..the kid's barely 13. But it's not a good look if he is actually trying to establish himself as a batsman.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Looks like the bowler swung the ball in and instead of planting his front foot in the line of the ball he decided to move instead to his left to defend it.. ended up in a mess .. wickets gone

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the only time you would want to take guard on legstump would be if you shuffle around the crease too much making yourself vunerable to lbw's.
I didn't offer an opinion as to whether it necessarily works; I just said most top players do it. Watch them next time you watch a match and you'll see what I mean.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tim said:
I'd say he's a tailender backing away from the delivery
Worryingly for Scottish cricket, he's the opening batsman, bowler and captain.

Matthew Parker's tournament:
vs Holland: 6-0-22-3 and 14
vs Ireland: 3-0-11-0 and 9
vs Denmark: 4-1-7-0 and 10

Hmm..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah this boy Parker must be a little embarrassed, considering most people wouldn't know that Denmark actually play cricket.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Whats the matter with your stance being on leg stump, Sachin Tendulkar doesnt seem to have a problem with it and neither do i...

infact the last time i remeber tendulkar being bowled was when vauhn got him tn that test matc...and i myslef have only bowled 2 times in my life, i remember them both very clearly.

I really dont understand why that stance has got such a stiff critcism

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tim said:
Yeah this boy Parker must be a little embarrassed, considering most people wouldn't know that Denmark actually play cricket.
They won't be that far off the 2007 World Cup.

There are 5 associates qualifying - that's likely to be:

Holland (established #1 associate)
Namibia (strength to strength)
Scotland (recovering from the blip, Hamilton back)
Ireland (on their way up and fast)
Canada (building on 2003's success)

However, Denmark, USA, UAE could all claim a place if they hit form at the right time and don't count Uganda and Nepal totally out of things.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Neil Pickup said:

However, Denmark, USA, UAE could all claim a place if they hit form at the right time and don't count Uganda and Nepal totally out of things.
Actually Nepal is much better than the UAE @ the U-19 level, in fact miles better.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
OR..he's taken guard on legstump which is quite bizarre.
Very Very normal. Any player who is going out LBW a lot, I tell them to move to leg stump. Always works. Then slowly they can move back if thy think they are getting better.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
R_Powell_fan said:
Actually Nepal is much better than the UAE @ the U-19 level, in fact miles better.
Fully agree. Was talking about Qualifying for WC2007, however, and I think UAE may still just have the edge over Nepal at Senior level then.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
youth world cup february 2004

Anyone have any tips for who will win win this tournament and some of the young players to watch out for ...?

Some Players to watch: Shaun Marsh (AUS), Irfan Pathan (IND), Nadeem Barbar (PAK).