• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World XI of 2013

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, cricket statisticians have always gone by the idea that whatever you do in a Test essentially happened on the first day of that Test; they use start dates. So everything that happens in that match will be going in the 2013 calender year stats.
What if it was a timeless test that went on for 7 years

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still start date. :p
So if someone batted for four years straight, would you have to retrospectively amend previous world XI's to reflect this

For example. Luke Wright and Ravi Bopara come in to bat on New Year's Eve 2013 with England 32-4. They finish the day on 5* and 4* respectively.

They then bat unbeaten through 2014, 2015 and 2016.

Once the match is complete (because you can't fully assess how good an innings was until the match finishes), you would then go back to the 2013 world XI threads, and put Wright and Bopara in those XIs? But they wouldn't make the 2014, 15 and 16 sides?

Seems a bit harsh on the dynamic duo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So if someone batted for four years straight, would you have to retrospectively amend previous world XI's to reflect this

For example. Luke Wright and Ravi Bopara come in to bat on New Year's Eve 2013 with England 32-4. They finish the day on 5* and 4* respectively.

Once the match is complete (because you can't fully assess how good an innings was until the match finishes), you would then go back to the 2013 world XI threads, and put Wright and Bopara in those XIs? But they wouldn't make the 2014, 15 and 16 sides?

Probably just hold off having the team of the year thread until the match finished. Not that morgie held off this one despite there still being several Tests to come, I suppose...

Flametree

International 12th Man
Warner
Smith
Pujara
Taylor
Amla
de Villiers *
Broad
Philander
Harris
Sten
Ajmal

No allrounders to pick from so I'll go with a batsman keeper and five bowlers, some of whom can bat pretty well. Albeit not well enough to be trusted to try and score 16 off 3 overs with 3 wickets left.....

steds

Hall of Fame Member

That's just flat out ridiculous. As if Ravi would let Wright outscore him at any time...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Know some Australian matches during Bradman's time did this
I never knew this.

Nah, cricket statisticians have always gone by the idea that whatever you do in a Test essentially happened on the first day of that Test; they use start dates. So everything that happens in that match will be going in the 2013 calender year stats.
Pews having a Golden 2003 with his 41,000+ posts.

What if it was a timeless test that went on for 7 years
Exactly. Honestly i'm outraged by this. If you make runs on day Jan 4, it should count for 2014 just as much as a Test match which starts on Jan 3.

As for team of the year, I'm waiting until the year is over..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Cheteshwar Pujara
2 Graeme Smith
3 Hashim Amla
4 Ross Taylor (vc)
5.Michael Clarke (c)
6 AB de Villiers+
7 Ravi Ashwin
8 Mitchell Johnson
9 Vernon Philander
10 Ryan Harris
11 Dale Steyn

12 Mominul Haque

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wanted to fit him into the XI by sacrificing a bowler but it would just make the team look less balanced. Rogers is lucky, actually I'm going to edit him out for Smith (Vijay close too).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
yeah I was surprised at the Rogers call. I just figured he was a favourite player of yours as I don't think he has taken the world by storm this year.

This is as a good a place as any for my next comment although it may be better in the tour thread.

Rogers' backlift is bizarre. He gets away with it because he is an opener. But he is sacrificing a lot of power on his drives by not taking his hands back past his hips on each backlit. As a result he is getting lots of 2s and 3s instead of fours. Also believe that on a seaming wicket it will lead to him jabbing at the ball and bringing slips into play. He may be a gritty opener and potentially a sucessful one if he can consistently see off the new ball but he will never score a double - it will be too much of a test for his patience and I believe by taking away his boundary scoring ability you may be able to frustrate him out much like the 1st inning.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Did you have the opportunity to watch Mark Taylor talk about Rogers grip and back lift before the start of play today? He said something similar to you. Also, I've noticed a few posts lately where you are calling it an 'inning' not innings, just sounds weird!

Shri

Mr. Glass
G Smith
M Vijay
H Amla
C Pujara
M Clarke
Ab de Villiers
R Ashwin
M Johnson
V Philander
D Steyn
R Harris

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bah - mark Taylor stole my thunder :(

Thanks for the tip on the innings thing - I found this link grammatical number - Where did the singular "innings" come from? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange and you are right it is just innings.

In North America with baseball you can talk about an inning I must have picked it up there :)
No worries. Yeah Lokomotiv and I had heard it in Baseball too. I didn't know that it was 100 percent wrong in Cricket, just never hear it, always innings.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would probably bring in Vijay now.

Interesting call with Haque from Nufan. His stats look very good, but he hasn't played a lot this season.