• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your gutsy calls for 2019

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
damn pretty impressive for a single-gender sport

edit: Am I allowed to say that these days? I mean predominantly the "female" denomination of one of the many genders available per one's personal choice

Daemon

Netball isn't a real sport though is it? Here in Australia, especially in the country, it's mostly just an activity to keep footballer's wives/gfs busy on a saturday

edit: Am I allowed to say that these days? I mean predominantly the "female" denomination of one of the many genders available per one's personal choice
stahp

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Netball isn't a real sport though is it? Here in Australia, especially in the country, it's mostly just an activity to keep footballer's wives/gfs busy on a saturday
This is actually kind of an interesting take, from my experience back in school the boys worshipped footy (even the ones who were crap), but Netball to the girls really wasn't very serious, the only girls who were serious about sport were the rowers. It was really only the footy players and maybe some of the cricketers that went on with it after school from what I know

TheJediBrah

A lot of the women who play seem to take it pretty seriously. No one else really does though. Compare it to the local footy where even ordinary players are getting paid nearly a living wage in some leagues and the crowds & sponsors bring in serious cash. You never see netball on tv either, and the fact that there is a "world cup" would surprise a lot of people I'm sure.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I used to play mixed netball for a couple of seasons. Ended up winning the flag in my final season (which I also did in my final season of cricket). Good fun.

Victor Ian

International Coach
A lot of the women who play seem to take it pretty seriously. No one else really does though. Compare it to the local footy where even ordinary players are getting paid nearly a living wage in some leagues and the crowds & sponsors bring in serious cash. You never see netball on tv either, and the fact that there is a "world cup" would surprise a lot of people I'm sure.
You mustn't watch much tv then. The women's Netball league is now shown. In the past, with the blindness to all women's sports, it wasn't, but that is changing. Netball, to women is the same as football is to men. If you are ****, then you drop it soon after school. As with many women's sports, there is no where near enough money in it for anything but the best players to make a living off. Throw in the nasty tendency for women to pop out kids and be left to raise them while husbands insist on continuing their own pursuits and many women drop out of the game too.

But netball is hugely popular. It's just that women don't tend to force their lives and everyone elses to revolve around it.

TheJediBrah

You mustn't watch much tv then. The women's Netball league is now shown. In the past, with the blindness to all women's sports, it wasn't, but that is changing. Netball, to women is the same as football is to men. If you are ****, then you drop it soon after school. As with many women's sports, there is no where near enough money in it for anything but the best players to make a living off. Throw in the nasty tendency for women to pop out kids and be left to raise them while husbands insist on continuing their own pursuits and many women drop out of the game too.

But netball is hugely popular. It's just that women don't tend to force their lives and everyone elses to revolve around it.
I feel like you have a personal story to be told. You are very passionate.

91Jmay

International Coach

"Please, somebody be offended so I can call them a snowflake"

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah in NZ I'd say netball tests vs Australia are a far bigger deal than domestic men's T20s and would get more coverage. A few years ago Maria Folau (nee Tutaia) was far more well known than Israel.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Netball's an ace sport. I've played a fair bit of social weeknight mixed comp with workmates and it's good fun and a decent workout.

Woeful for your knees and ankles though.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
This call is not particularly gutsy, and if I trawled the whole thread probably not original, but Tim Paine will lose the captaincy and his spot in the Australian Test team after losing the Ashes.
Not gutsy opinion does not pay off.

FWIW, I think The Hundred will be a huge success next year.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
England wont win the WC.
Sam Curran to be dropped by the end of the year.
Australia to debut some punk during the Ashes

Australia knocked out in group or QF stage of WC (not gutsy at all)

Keaton Jennings to be replaced yet again

Foakes Woakes and Stokes won't bat side-by-side (tragedy)

Pakistan to reach SFs of WC

Warner/Bancroft/Smith will all return, Warner will not be his usual sweet salient self until the summer if he does return.

The Marsh family experiment will not die.

Travis Head will somehow keep being in the test side

Glenn Maxwell will not play a single test

South Africa knocked out in group stage of WC

India to win WC

The Kohli express will have no brakes.

Kraigg Brathwaite will continue to deteriorate

English weather to wash out one or two really important matches in the WC that will likely **** a team everyone likes over one no one cares for.

Bumrah will bust his body up

Rohit Sharma will make himself a regular in the test side
Agarwal will be bounced out of tests forever. Not so much a shocking prediction as stating the obvious.

Gnske wins the thread. But some funny bloopers to read here. :)

vcs

If this is finally the summer that Anderson declines, then Australia might get their chance.
Good

I don't think SL will come close to winning or drawing a Test in Australia (even minus Smith,Warner).
Good

Would be pretty surprised. Sure, he might concede a few against one of the bigger teams if he comes on at 100/1 after 12 overs on a road but he'll also clean up a couple of times. He's the real deal.
Bad