• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brothers who promise to play Cricket with you,and when their out they go in.
Pick the younger brother :laugh: That annoys me quite a bit actually, or when they are playing well they wan't to keep going but you pick your game up and get a few wickets or hit some boundaries and they want to go in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hmm, if anything I tend to get more annoyed by people who say "his overall career average is RM.YH and therefore NOTHING else has ANY relevance because you're "manipulating" those stats.

Err, well, no, I'm not really. I'm pointing-out something that the stats DO show. Yes, there are silly examples (like "if you take out all his scoring strokes he averages 0") but IMO an overall career average for a decent length career is pretty worthless - you need some breakdowns to tell you any real stories.
Yeah, looking at selected periods, game in certain countries or against certain teams/bowlers etc is fine. It's when they're manipulated stupidly.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't think there are many left now...

Well only South Africans.
Havent met somebody who doesn't rate him here.. Doesn't mean they like him, or they rated him when he was here, but I think the general consensus is he is currently one of the best batsmen in world cricket.. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to have a rub down with Sir Geoffrey..

In fact, I heard a "fan" in a bar go on about how great Pietersen is against that **** Nel.. Both peas from the same pod, like most international cricketers these days..

open365

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, looking at selected periods, game in certain countries or against certain teams/bowlers etc is fine. It's when they're manipulated stupidly.
The worst one i saw was when someone took out all of Sarwan's not outs and pointed out he only averaged 30, despite the fact Sarwan bats in the top 4 and when he scores not outs he's usualy scored 30+.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Mark Nicholas loving Michael Clarke/Symonds etc...
What are you smoking? Send me a bit of it please for it will prevent me from wanting to shoot me ears the next time I hear Nicholas' voice.
Mark Nicholas, full stop.
As to the topic. Ranjit Fernando, Sivaramakrishnan and Arun lal. In recent times, Mark Nicholas (buoyant Boucher, wtf!!)
Also, I friggin hate Mark Nicholas' fawning idolisation of the Australians. His orgasmic "Yes, yes!!!" call when one of them got an lbw the other day was particularly nauseating.
Mark Nicholas fans.

Just buy a Thesaurus whilst looking at a picture of Brett Lee.
Mark Nicholas is what grinds my cricketing gears.

Very annoying.
A common complaint, it seems.

His commentary on Cricket 2007 is almost unbearable tbh.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I personally don't have any problem with him, if a bit over-enthusiastic, be a million times better than Ian Healy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
His commentary on Cricket 2007 is almost unbearable tbh.
Haha, the worst part is it has Nicholas being all hyper/masturbating and then it cuts to the same old recorded Richie Benaud quotes which have been in every EA cricket game for yonks.

Its ridiculous, I generally play on mute or with music in the background its so bad.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm a Mark Nicholas fan. Make no apologies for it tbh. He's the best commenator after Benaud imo.
Not sure about 2nd best after Benaud, but I quite like Mark Nicholas as a commentator as well.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Oh wow - I'm going to have a few here. I'll try to do them in some kind of order.

1) Captains and bowlers piss-farting around, taking 3 minutes of conferencing and adjusting the field and themselves, before every delivery is bowled. I favour captains being suspended if they can't get their bowlers to get through the overs at the required rate.

2) People who refuse to enjoy what we have today because they're stuck in nostalgia for the past.

3) The incompetance of most international teams and their management. How long has this been a professional sport? Don't play silly buggers with selection. Don't give yourself no opportunity to acclimatise to the local conditions. Don't pick injured players. Don't have no freakin' plan to win the match or players who are so uneducated about their role in the team that they don't try to stick to that game plan. If all of your players keep on getting injured during tours, actually try to do something about it.

4) Ian Healy. I can't listen to him. I physically can't. Have to be careful not to exaggerate and be silly, but I think I can safely say that he's the worst commentator in the history of the universe.

5) Boundary ropes being 15 metres in from the fence. Why?

6) People who don't rate spinners.

7) People who think 6's are the only entertaining part of cricket.

8) Unfit players. See point 2, but c'mon, get serious.

There's more, but that'll do for now.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
State bias in Australia

So annoying. Honestly, I couldn't care less if there aren't any Victorians in the national side if we're winning. It's always nice to have someone representing us (vic) and to cheer for at the MCG but the bias you see from some fans toward certain players and in their hometown media is just astounding. Does my head in sometimes.
Good post. Probably the most irritating element of Australian cricket fandom.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1) Captains and bowlers piss-farting around, taking 3 minutes of conferencing and adjusting the field and themselves, before every delivery is bowled. I favour captains being suspended if they can't get their bowlers to get through the overs at the required rate.

3) The incompetance of most international teams and their management. How long has this been a professional sport? Don't play silly buggers with selection. Don't give yourself no opportunity to acclimatise to the local conditions. Don't pick injured players. Don't have no freakin' plan to win the match or players who are so uneducated about their role in the team that they don't try to stick to that game plan. If all of your players keep on getting injured during tours, actually try to do something about it.

5) Boundary ropes being 15 metres in from the fence. Why?

7) People who think 6's are the only entertaining part of cricket.

8) Unfit players. See point 2, but c'mon, get serious.
Damn straight on all of 'em.
2) People who refuse to enjoy what we have today because they're stuck in nostalgia for the past.
:@:mad:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Crickets ability to provide such great anti-climaxes in games that promise so much. Games like this years semi-finals were decided hours before the end of the match, in other sport this happens, but seeing that cricket is one of the longest playing sports in the world its very disheartening.

But this heavy price also brings much greater appreciation of those great close games. But when your down your down.

(Hopefully tonights match will be able to swing that the other way.)

Oh, and players who give up before the match is decided. Watching the NZ - SRL match, you could see James Franklin who is quite a good batsmen looking very disheartened, and then Jeetan Patel comes along giving it his all. A good contrast IMO, and I also think Patels attitude rubbed off on Franklin, and for a while I think, the Sri Lankans felt a tiny bit of fear.

What if they did come back?

This kind of attitude is what I want to always see in this game. Even 9 wickets down, and 100 runs off, there is still a chance. You'll never win if you don't try.

Craig

World Traveller
The team you support losing

The pain is slightly lesser if you were an Englishman and were expecting it from the start.
If you are expected it to be a loss from the start, what is the point in watching in the first place? :blink:

Shane Warne

Great cricket but Christ I could not stand him off field though. I remember during his drugs ban and in the past when he has been in the commentatory box he has nearly made me turn the TV off.

Last edited:

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Good thread from saggers to continue from OT.

Anyway dead set the worst thing is teams having a cry about sledging, its an art imo and move on instead of crying day and day out.