• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Y/N - you could explain Net run rate in detail to someone without googling

Could you?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not true, because the 150 is divided by 50 for the bowling purposes. So your NRR from that game would be 150/25 - 150/50 = 3
That's the same as if you batted for 50 overs and scored 300 and then bowled them out for 150.
I see your point. In that one game it's perfect. But as you know the numerators and denominators get added across matches. So smaller number of 25 reduces the weight.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We had the scenario in the last WC where Pakistan needed a huge runs victory over Bangas to make the semis, but if they batted second couldn't make up the NRR.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Take an example. Say a team plays two matches

Match 1: Target of 200 chased in full 50 overs. NRR from the match = 200/50 - 199/50 ~ 0
Match 2: Target of 150 chased in 25 overs. NRR from the match = 150/25 - 149/50 ~ 3

If two matches are weighted equally, total NRR should be 1.5

But way it is calculated you get NRR of (200+150)/75 - (199+149)/100 ~ 1.17

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Match 1: Target of 200 chased in full 50 overs. NRR from the match = 200/50 - 199/50 ~ 0
Match 2: Target of 150 chased in 25 overs. NRR from the match = 150/25 - 149/50 ~ 3

Ah so in your suggestion, would you extrapolate the chasing score to 50 overs?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wait isn’t it just runs scored by you per over for all games, minus runs scored against you per over for all games? Then explain that if a team is bowled out you calculate it on a base of 50 overs.

Fringe stuff like DLS I admit I had no idea.

Molehill

International Captain

You are correct, I was just looking from the one match perspective.

It's an interesting point though, if teams want to seriously boost their NRR, they should always bat first. It's easier to do it than actually knowing your target and then chasing it down in a certain amount of overs.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ah so in your suggestion, would you extrapolate the chasing score to 50 overs?
I definitely would. Because when chasing or when playing a rain affected shortened game winner gets less credit. It's unfair. I mean you still get full points from a shortened game, why not full NRR credit?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You are correct, I was just looking from the one match perspective.

It's an interesting point though, if teams want to seriously boost their NRR, they should always bat first. It's easier to do it than actually knowing your target and then chasing it down in a certain amount of overs.
Hence the Pakistan scenario in 2019 I guess

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if there's a loophole in the rules if you declare your innings early. Say you're chasing a total and you know you won't make it, just declare and then boost your NRR because the whole 50 overs doesn't count.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The big problem with it is that it doesn't take wickets into account at all until a side gets bowled out at which point it makes a massive difference.

So chasing down 120 all out on a green top where you win by getting 121/9 in 25 overs counts as a massive win by NRR, even though in reality it's a nail biter. In that scenario a team comes out with a positive NRR of 2.4, as though they had won by 120 runs.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
This weightage thing has bothered me since the beginning. Unfair on chasing teams who chase it down in significantly fewer overs and don't get to add full 50 overs of runs at a high run rate to their accumulated total.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shakib is reading this thread and noting ideas for the 2027 WC Qualifiers where Bangladesh is tied with West Indies for 2nd on the table.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I definitely would. Because when chasing or when playing a rain affected shortened game winner gets less credit. It's unfair. I mean you still get full points from a shortened game, why not full NRR credit?
It does have the disadvantage of involving guesswork in a system that's currently hard defined by things that actually happened.

Now I am not claiming that it's perfect at the moment but trying to equate a batting first win with a chasing win is suspicious in general anyway, while batting first most teams do try to maximize their score, whereas when batting second unless dictated by the tournament situation most teams would go for the most risk free approach that guarantees victory.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket doesn't really have a good way of comparing how "well" a team has won compared to another team. Any method you use to break deadlocks is going to run into some weird edge cases.

But that's what makes it fun.

Molehill

International Captain
Cricket doesn't really have a good way of comparing how "well" a team has won compared to another team. Any method you use to break deadlocks is going to run into some weird edge cases.

But that's what makes it fun.
I always think of this game as highlighting one of the big failures of NRR. NZ scrape home by 1 wicket, yet get a huge boost on the NRR because they weren't bowled out.