• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Test match Pacer of all time!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jarvis only ever got nine tests.

His longest run in the side was four, and these were all played whilst England were getting thumped, repeatedly. (NZ 87-8, WI 88, Aus 89, India/SL 92-3)

He did alright in ODIs however - 24 @ 28.00 with 5/35 at Bangalore in February 93 his peak.

He didn't get carted when his team were on top/equally matched in matches - he didn't play in one...
In that period, neither did the rest of the England team!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Found Him :D

Mohammad Hasibul Hossain
Born: 3 June 1977, Baralekha, Moulavibazar, Sylhet
Major Teams: Sylhet Division, Bangladesh.
Known As: Hasibul Hossain
Also Known As: Shanto
Batting Style: Right Hand Bat
Bowling Style: Right Arm Fast Medium

Matches 5
Overs 130
Maidens 23
Runs 571
Wickets 6
Average 95.17
BBI 2-125
SR 130.0
Econ 4.39

Beat That!
You're being a bit harsh there Neil - his batting saves him - 97 runs at 10.77.

Does this make him an all-rounder?

He certainly challenges Agarkar as an all-rounder!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
After his 4 overs on the fourth morning, Corky gets my vote for 'worst test match spell I have seen in 5 years' - beat Agarkar hands down that did for mindless ineptitude.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Having to nominate the worst test match pacer would be difficult because the poor chap wouldn't have gotten another chance would he?

Thats why Agarkar gets my undisputed vote !!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
After his 4 overs on the fourth morning, Corky gets my vote for 'worst test match spell I have seen in 5 years' - beat Agarkar hands down that did for mindless ineptitude.
Why, oh why is he so damn inconsistent?!?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't see any reason for the way Cork bowled today, other than he was told to (bowl bouncers, not just bowl poorly).

He does put in the odd bouncer when bowling for Derbyshire, but he is primarily a wicket-to-wicket bowler. Witness how many dismissals he has taken this year either lbw or bowled whilst playing for Derbyshire. A staggering 26 - that's almost 50%. Add to that a load taken by Krikken behind the sticks and you've got some semblance of proof that the tactics he has used in his last 3 test appearances are somewhat strange - out of character even.

I'm tired of trying to find excuses when there are none. As I said before, if it was his decision, he's barmy. If it was Nasser's decision, Hussain's barmy. Maybe they both are.

masterblaster

International Captain
Ajit Agarkar is only 24 years of age. His ODI Bowling Stats are excellent, and has been one of the best ODI bowlers for India in the past 6 years. His batting is getting better, and is exciting. His test bowling with adequate amount of training will only get better. Ajit Agarkar currently holds the record for the fastest 50 wickets in ODI's beating a certain DK Lillie and Waqar Younis.

Agarkar had an exceptional NatWest Series where twice he got a Sri Lankan wicket with his very first ball. Agarkar managed to get quite a number of wickets and was only behind Zaheer Khan in no. of wickets taken.

Get of Ajit Agarkar's back, he's about 100 times better than all of us here, and some people do have confidence in him, Ganguly sure does and so does Sachin Tendulkar.

I saw Ajit bowling in Australia and my word, did he bowl well, shame he got 7 ducks.
If Agarkar sorts out his bowling in the same form he is in batting, then along with Sanjay Bangar he would serve Indian test cricket well. He already does a good job in the ODI's.

By NO MEANS is he the worst pace bowler of all time. There have been plenty to top that list!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
To be honest, when agarkar showed up in the international arena, my initial thoughts were that finally India had managed to blood a pacer who 'looked' capable of handling the red cherry, and providing srinath with the support he so desperately needed.

But he never went on to prove me right.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Ajit Agarkar is only 24 years of age. His ODI Bowling Stats are excellent, and has been one of the best ODI bowlers for India in the past 6 years. His batting is getting better, and is exciting. His test bowling with adequate amount of training will only get better. Ajit Agarkar currently holds the record for the fastest 50 wickets in ODI's beating a certain DK Lillie and Waqar Younis.

Agarkar had an exceptional NatWest Series where twice he got a Sri Lankan wicket with his very first ball. Agarkar managed to get quite a number of wickets and was only behind Zaheer Khan in no. of wickets taken.

Get of Ajit Agarkar's back, he's about 100 times better than all of us here, and some people do have confidence in him, Ganguly sure does and so does Sachin Tendulkar.

I saw Ajit bowling in Australia and my word, did he bowl well, shame he got 7 ducks.
If Agarkar sorts out his bowling in the same form he is in batting, then along with Sanjay Bangar he would serve Indian test cricket well. He already does a good job in the ODI's.

By NO MEANS is he the worst pace bowler of all time. There have been plenty to top that list!
His one day stats were excellent when he first started and you are right, he was the first to 50 wickets. He used to bowl expensive spells then too, except that he used to pick up a lot of wickets and put a brake on scoring that way. His strike rate has since gone down significantly, but not the runs conceded per over. He still has his good moments and he did get vital wickets in the Natwest trophy. He is still a part of the one day team, isn't he?

As a test match bowler, he just hasn't looked the part except for, as everyone likes to mention, the last tour of Australia. There was no justification for him being being in the team after the 1st test(of the current series). He had some decent scores with the bat in this series, but he is just not in the all-rounder class yet. His bowling has been pitiful in the current series, to say the least. There are young bowlers in India who can be given a chance when the regulars fail and the selectors haven't done that. I agree that you have to put your faith in young players and not drop them after a couple of failures, but it is just the opposite case with Agarkar, even after repeated failures, that too in helpful conditions, he has been persisted with. What happened to Nehra should have happened to Agarkar. He might or might not be the worst test match pacer ever, but the fact is he sucks, has sucked for a long time now.

[Edited on 9/9/02 by anilramavarma]