• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Current Fielder?

tooextracool

International Coach
superkingdave said:
Chris Read had 11 bad games then, so Jones is doing ok?
and ive never denied that he isnt doing better than read or that he doesnt deserve a place in the side...in fact i was the one who suggested that read be dropped for him before the series against NZ, and at the time that was against popular opinion on these forums.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
obviously there are certain deliveries that are always there to be hit....youd want to put away half volleys and long hops early on in your innings and get some confidence into yourself.
Not to mention balls missing leg, regardless of the length.
and where have i ever denied that what is there to be hit depends from all of those conditions? the problem with geraint jones is that even when he isnt seeing the ball of the middle of the bat he is still trying to play his shots when the ball is not there to be hit.
So he tries to hit balls he should not be trying to hit, basically.
You should have phrased it better, in other words.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Not to mention balls missing leg, regardless of the length.
yes add that too...something that players like atherton were very good at.

Richard said:
So he tries to hit balls he should not be trying to hit, basically.
You should have phrased it better, in other words.
i think ive phrased it well enough for people to understand it......

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And of course you can tell that for certain, given that no-one else has commented on the matter...

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
And of course you can tell that for certain, given that no-one else has commented on the matter...
im afraid if you couldnt figure out from this:
"the problem that he has is that he plays too many shots before getting set, and as players like vaughan have realised you only go for your shots early on in your innings if its there to be hit"
that i meant this:
"So he tries to hit balls he should not be trying to hit, basically."

then theres really no reason for me to explain myself.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sami ?? You are kidding me? Sami is one of the better fielders in Pakistan. He is also very athletic. He has the most accurate throw as well.

FRAZ

International Captain
But no safe pair of hands , Hav dropped quite a few and some times his throws are wayward .

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
FRAZ said:
But no safe pair of hands , Hav dropped quite a few and some times his throws are wayward .
that sounds like samis bowling... "sometimes his throws are wayward"

jokes people

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
im afraid if you couldnt figure out from this:
"the problem that he has is that he plays too many shots before getting set, and as players like vaughan have realised you only go for your shots early on in your innings if its there to be hit"
that i meant this:
"So he tries to hit balls he should not be trying to hit, basically."

then theres really no reason for me to explain myself.
Maybe you could figure it out - you still phrased it poorly.

Legglancer

State Regular
Graham Smith is pretty bad, He cant throw to save his life especially in the series against SL he bungles up quite a few possible runouts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I cannot for the life of me work-out why he plays as much as he has done.
It's ridiculous, he's not much of a batsman at all.

Legglancer

State Regular
Richard said:
I cannot for the life of me work-out why he plays as much as he has done.
It's ridiculous, he's not much of a batsman at all.

I wholeheartedly agree with you his technique sucks and his feet are cemented to the wicket ..... I cannot for the life of me figure out how he scored those runs against SA .....

Even the new Guy Samam Jayanta is a quite bad fielder but quite a attractive stroke player though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Going back to the title of this thread again, it's interesting just how much of a curate's egg the fielding and/or catching was once again today in the latest clash between Bangladesh and West Indies.

Bravo (I think it was, but it might have been Sammy - I wasn't paying attention) grassed, off successive balls, the easiest caught and bowled chances I have EVER seen spurned by an international cricketer. Meanwhile, Crystal 'Oops I mean yours' Gayle enhanced his own reputation as the only serious rival to VVS 'Bob' Cantcatchit as international cricket's worst slipper.

Then you had the ground fielding and general butterfingeredness of any Bangladeshi fielder you could choose at random.

Amongst that whole field of swine (that's not an insult but a literary term) you had one or two pearls - Bravo's flying effort to end the game off the hapless Crystal, and a couple of the three held by Sammy warrant a mention (one of which was simply extraordinary).

Deja moo

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
. Meanwhile, Crystal 'Oops I mean yours' Gayle enhanced his own reputation as the only serious rival to VVS 'Bob' Cantcatchit as international cricket's worst slipper.
You cant be serious :)

VVS had just one bad game in the slips (unfortunately it was a final , and a rare occasion when Australia could have been dismissed for less than 150 in a final).
Otherwise he has been superb .