• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Sports Magazine Review - 1948

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suppose with 70 years to 'bed in' it's hardly surprising that 99.94 has become the best known number in the game, but every contemporary publication I've looked at gets it right and comments on it, so getting the career average wrong is really strange

chasingthedon

International Regular
I suppose with 70 years to 'bed in' it's hardly surprising that 99.94 has become the best known number in the game, but every contemporary publication I've looked at gets it right and comments on it, so getting the career average wrong is really strange
Yeah, it's odd, as obviously the average has been calculated based on that incorrect runs aggregate.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Yeah, no runs were retrospectively added. Not for the first time, Cardus simply got his figures wrong.

Here is an example of a contemporary article, written just one day after the scheduled conclusion of the fifth test, in which Bradman's correct career aggregate and average is clearly stated:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/...Bradman 100 average&searchLimits=l-decade=194

chasingthedon

International Regular

Victor Ian

International Coach
I imagine it was harder to do stats and aggregates back then. No computers to download from. Probably having to consult outdated books and archives with figures coming from various volumes and clunky calculators. Easy to make mistakes

chasingthedon

International Regular
I imagine it was harder to do stats and aggregates back then. No computers to download from. Probably having to consult outdated books and archives with figures coming from various volumes and clunky calculators. Easy to make mistakes
Fair comment. I wasn't intending to denigrate Cardus per se, although that year's Wisden has quite a comprehensive (and accurate) statistical breakdown of his career, so the information was around.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have just had a look at Christopher Brookes' biography of Cardus, from which it seems that he and Bradman were close friends - I suspect therefore that the display of ignorance was from the editorial staff at World Sports rather than from Cardus himself

chasingthedon

International Regular
IMG_0179.jpg
Have just had a look at Christopher Brookes' biography of Cardus, from which it seems that he and Bradman were close friends - I suspect therefore that the display of ignorance was from the editorial staff at World Sports rather than from Cardus himself
Could be - we'll never know at this point - it's certainly presented as if it was Cardus but may not have been..