• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup organisers predict US$40 million ticket sales

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Only half tickets sold to date.........
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/story/270892.html
there's always been a problem selling tickets for the world cup....i mean come on it's the biggest thing in cricket and we are still going to have empty seats?....thats pathetic....all games should atleast be 90% sold out, even the minnow games....they should market and adjust the prices according to the teams involved...but no games in the world cup should have more the half the seats empty like the ones in the 2003 world cup....

World Cup organisers predict US$40 million ticket sales

Philip Spooner

December 3, 2006

The nine local organising committees preparing for the 2007 World Cup (CWC) have projected US$40 million in revenue from the sale of tickets.

Speaking to the media yesterday, Ken Gordon, chairman of the board, said that this was a "comfortable estimate". He, however, added that this could only be achieved if Caribbean fans went out and bought tickets allocated to them.

"We have projected US$40 million from the ticket sales, but at present only half the tickets have been sold, so basically, we are only halfway there," said Gordon, who is also president of the West Indies Cricket Board. "We are very confident that we will get the numbers, but the weakness we are seeing is from West Indian sales. We would like to urge Caribbean people to go out and purchase tickets. I'm sure people across the region won't like to see more fans from opposing teams in the stands than our own people."

Earlier this week, the Barbados LOC said they could realise US$13.5 million in revenue from the sale of tickets. When the second phase of public ticketing ended on Thursday, 82% of the tickets for Kensington Oval were sold out.

The CWC office, through ticketing officer Delroy Taylor, has indicated that ticket sales were sluggish and some matches were proving hard to sell. "We have one more phase of ticketing to come, starting in the middle of January, and I urge everyone to go out and get tickets," Gordon said. "People from all over the world have been expressing great interest in getting tickets. The tickets will be sold, I can assure you. I just hope West Indians get them."

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think alot of people will buy tickets in the few weeks building up to these matches really.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, it's not as if the demand is as high as say the Olympics or the football World Cup. Most of the fans in the grounds will be West Indian. Maybe they should give schools some tickets for some of the minor matches.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeh true it's not as demanding as Fifa world cup but not even baseball world classics had empty seats like the last world cup....instead of just giving away tickets for the associates they should sell it for so less that it would be hard for any one to not buy it and im sure if they say sell a associate match ticket for $20 and it was almost full they would make more money than selling the tickets for $50 and having about 50 people

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
LA ICE-E said:
Only half tickets sold to date.........
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/story/270892.html
there's always been a problem selling tickets for the world cup....i mean come on it's the biggest thing in cricket and we are still going to have empty seats?....thats pathetic....all games should atleast be 90% sold out, even the minnow games....they should market and adjust the prices according to the teams involved...but no games in the world cup should have more the half the seats empty like the ones in the 2003 world cup....
It's the biggest thing in One-Day cricket, but there are many of us who would say it's not the biggest thing in cricket full stop.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well its the biggest thing in cricket in terms of popularity and the interests (i.e all teams are made from WC to WC). But its not something a lot of die hard fans care as much about.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
silentstriker said:
Well its the biggest thing in cricket in terms of popularity and the interests (i.e all teams are made from WC to WC). But its not something a lot of die hard fans care as much about.
whatever......wrong in my opinion.....why do you think every team is made from WC to WC because thats the best thing players retire after each world cup because they want to play their last world cup....glen mcgrath's probably going to retire from tests after the ashes but if that was the most important thing dont you think he would retire from cricket all together? its the most important test thing for aussies and english but crickets the most important thing period...you can argue all you want.....because after the world cup you dont see most people retireing from odi but not tests......but test makes you players better and improve your players skills and test them further so it helps you become a better player so it kind of goes with odi as the better your skills are the better you going play in odi....ex-aussies

Last edited: