• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

<<<World Club Cricket Herald>>>

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think my ground conditions of 5-4-5 are a little fairer this year, plus the ammount of spinning wickets everyone is producing will benefit me with Prassana and Rupasinghe.
Still a road. Still don't think any FC stats should be counted for matches in Joburg or any points be counted, due to a sub standard pitch. About time the WCC stop being soft and dock points of clubs for sub standard pitches.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Queensland's odds are too short. No chance of finishing first. The FC side has really been sacrificed for the OD side.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Sydney Morning Herald
YOUR SEASON 3 NEW SOUTH WALES BLUES

A player-by-player guide to Australia's favourite team

Friday 17th April 2009

1. Phil Jaques. Team Captain

Name: Philip Anthony Jaques
Place of Birth: Wollongong, New South Wales
Role: Opening batsman, captain
Style: Left-handed batsman
Squad Number: 1

SMH: Phil, what are you looking to achieve this season with the Blues?

PJ: Well, last season ended up being one of rebuilding and stabalising - especially with the managerial instability - and us only picking up the experience of [new team manager] Jamee Gray late in the season - but we stayed in Division One in both forms, which was obviously the minimum aim before we started - but in Season 3 we've set our sights higher - and I want to be able to lead the Blues to a title this year - by the time the year is out, there will be silverware in Sydney.

SMH: And what do you want to achieve with the bat this year?

PJ: All great leaders lead from the front - they set an example, and that's what I'm going to go out and do - I'm going to face the first ball of every innings that we bat in and work from there - we've got a very strong team, but you can only win championships if everybody fires together, and that's what I'm looking for this year from this team.

SMH: Were you surprised to be offered the captaincy?

PJ: I was - especially as I hadn't been playing during the three games that Jamee had been in charge because of injury - so I didn't really feel coming off the end of the season that I knew him as well as some of the other guys, but he obviously feels that I'm the right man for the job - and I want to make sure I don't let him down and can lead New South Wales forwards.

SMH predicts - a great year is ahead for Jaques and the boys (and girl) at New South Wales, and the rock solid top order, built around Jaques, will be the key, and his captaincy will also be important to the team.

His SMH statline for Season 3:
FC - 1100 runs @ 55
OD - 500 runs @ 45

Next up - 2. Greg Belle

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KANDURATA CANT WIN
by Rebecca Wilson

With the start of season three just a matter of weeks away this "journalist" has already written off one team in the race for the division one first class title. I'll start by saying last season was a fantastic effort by the Sri Lankans but it was a fluke, it simply wont happen again. Their players over-achieved without doubt and it's hard to see a repeat in season three. I dont think its a stretch to suggest they'll finish closer to the bottom than the top, after all they have sacked some key players in Atapattu and Fernando among others and replaced them with unknowns such as Bellson and Blakewell.

These young guys are probably not bad cricketers, but to expect them to come into what is supposed to be the top team in the league and bowl them to a title is ridiculous. They'll win games no doubt, Murali will see to that, but outside of him there is little talent in the first class squad, the batting is poor in general and the bowlers are generally stoked if it lands on the cut stuff. While it's easy to write off a team for these reasons you need to take into account the strength of the opposition, after carefully looking over each team I would be right in thinking six of them have a realistic goal to finish above them (sorry Auckland fans).

It's certainly looking like a tough season ahead for Kandurata fans and their manager.

99*

International Debutant
Clarke, Captain Cunning
Kent captain speaks on the upcoming season"
by Ivana Chompon Veiner

Michael Clarke, Kent's captain in season three has given his opinion on the upcoming season in an interview with the Canterbury Press.

I.W- So Michael in the offseason you were traded from New South Wales to Kent. How do you feel in the new club?

M.C- It's great. Kent is a great club to be a part of, and it's been a very easy transition. JR (Owner J. Ritchie) has helped a lot with it.

I.W- Do you have any hard feelings toward NSW after the way they treated you?

M.C- Not really, but I'm going to make sure they get the worst beating of their lives when they come to Canterbury.

I.W- Michael you've been promoted to the captaincy of the Kent side. How did you feel knowing you had beaten out players like Robert Key and Kevin Pietersen, both experienced members of the club?

M.C- Well it's an honour really. Both K-Unit (Kevin) and Locky (Robert) are great blokes and could have done it. But I'm happy that I was picked.

I.W- Last season Kent finished third in the First Class table, the Ritchie has been heard saying the championship should be the main goal. Other than a championship what else would you like to see Kent achieve?

M.C- At the end of the season I'd like to see us promote in the OD game. Being in Div I in both forms shows you are a class all-round side, something I think we can be. I'd also like to see us reach the knock-out stage of the T20 cup. But in the end the FC trophy is the main goal.

I.W- Who do you believe are your biggest threats in getting that First Class championship?

M.C- Kandurata for sure, defending champs are always going to be tough. There's also Queensland, there's plenty of talent there. And the Cobras.

I.W- What are some personal goals for yourself?

M.C- I've not really thought about my goals for the season yet. I normally wait until a week before to list out my personal goals. I'll let you know then.

So there's the first interview with Kent's captain. We wish him the best of luck for this season and hope he brings Kent silverware.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
New kids on the block favorites for title

Newly promoted Division One club are the real favorites for the Division One title. Even though they have been listed as 4th in betting one look at their squad, it clear they are the side to beat. Defending champions have already stated previous through local papers that season is rebuilding season they will be looking for a top four finish. Though with the strength of competition that will be a tough ask itself.

Cobras may have imported a lot of players. But questions remain over the quality of those players and whether they can take 20 wickets on the road that is their home ground. Expect plenty of 600 plus scores on that pitch. Rupasinghe has never taken wickets away from Sri Lanka and many good judges feel new import Prassana lacks the vareity and turn to take wickets in South Africa.

Bhatia not a stike bowler and barely taken a wicket in two season with the South Zone India. Fitzstanford showed last season he wasn't up to the standard of WCC and it is likely to be the case again this season. A lot will depend on Ul Hasan, who has barely played more then two games in a row during his career in Pakistan without getting injured.

Their batting may have improved but slow pace new recuits Dexter and Laxman score will not help them reduce the draws at home. Expect another season full off draws for Cobras.

Kent on the other hand have a powerful batting line lead by the great Kevin P Pietersen. With Micheal Clarke taking over the captaincy, we may see Pietersen released from his shakles. Which is scary thought for all WCC sides. But their real strength in their bowling attack that has both quality and depth. Unlike most sides one oe two injuried wont hurt them with Mishra, Philander and Graham waiting in the wings. But South Zone India discard Binny will be the player to watch. This wildcard that may turn a match on its head with some his quality spin bowling.

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
Tasmania have no Rivals?!
By Ova Exagaration

In an amazing interview with Jason Pike, the manager of the Tasmanian Tigers, we have found that Tasmania think they have no rivals and think that they have no need to be worried through the season, as Jason Pike says ' we have no rivals and I think that we have no need to be worried through the season.'

In a massive outburst he also went on to say that Tasmania are a good team who can beat anyone on their day....' We are a good team and we can beat just about anyone on our day' Jason Pike explained.

In light of the massive rivalries and huge outbursts of managers and players in the WCC from up to 8 teams regarding their chances of the up coming season Jason Pike thought they were all up themselves and needed some calming down. As he said ' Well we should probably calm down a little bit, the season hasn't even started yet...'

And in one of the worst cases of attacks on the media Jason Pike cut the interview short from no where and stormed out saying "excuse me, I have to get back to training".

With this shocking news we understand that the WCC will be looking into Jason's comments and he will be fired and fined and maybe even given a life sentence in jail.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
A player-by-player guide to Australia's favourite team

Friday 17th April 2009

2. Greg Belle

Name: Gregory Belle
Place of Birth: Sydney, New South Wales
Role: All-rounder, spin bowler
Style: Right-handed batsman, leg spin bowler
Squad Number: 2

SMH: An amazing season for you last year, Greg...

GB: Yeah, it really was - after being picked up at the end of the second round of the draft I wasn't expecting to be such a big part of the team, but I was stoked to be picked every week, and I just tried to make the most of the opportunities that presented themselves to me.

SMH: After such a great rookie year, were there any elements of your performance you are unhappy with?

GB: My FC batting last year was substandard - I didn't make it to 50 even once, and that's not acceptable if I want to call myself an all-rounder - which I do - the balance that I think Beau [Casson] and myself bring to this team is important - it should let us play eight batsmen and five bowlers - but in the longer form of the game last year I wasn't pulling my weight with the bat.

SMH: And how much of a help will having Beau with the team all year be?

GB: It'll be massive - on turning pitches, like I hear the SCG will be this year, having no respite, with two front-line, big turning, aggressive spinners, the two of us should be able to do some good things. I'm very excited about this season.

SMH predicts: If Greg can avoid the sophomore slump, then the Blues have one of the best weapons in WCC - aggressive OD batting can hopefully be matched with FC batting and a bowling display to match last year's.

His SMH statline:
FC - 700 runs @ 30, 35 wickets @ 28
OD - 400 runs @ 40, 25 wickets @ 26

Next up - 3. Beau Casson

Last edited:

luffy

International Captain
West Midlands to be looking for a new coach soon.

Matt Luff who has been on the end of one of McTavish's rants shares this opinion.

"Look" Matt Luff says in an exclusive interview, "he can't just waltz into this position with barely any game time and start criticising all these managers, sure he's been around for awhile, but this is doing more damage than good to his team, who because of his stupidity will have pressure on them to perform every single match.

This view is shared by Gray (NSW coach) who was also on the end of these rants.

"Sure we all have faults, but this **** is a prick."

"Sure he's a nice guy when you get to know him" Luff started "when he's passed out in the dog kennel." It's a shame there are only 2 divisions in WCC, cause he needs to be managing a team in the 4th Division."

"And yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what immature comments he has to say about all this."

"****".

Mister Wright

Bichel Pleased To Be Out of Spotlight

Newly appointed Queensland coach Andrew Bichel said he was pleased his side has been out of the spotlight as he feels many clubs are using too much fire even before a ball has been bowled. The Queensland coach said he was not only happy he and his team had escaped some of the sledges that have been firing between rival World Club Cricket manager, he is also glad his team have been underrated by many including Queensland's own manager Kyle Wright.

"Yes it's been a relief that we've escaped the sledges, however I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing." Said Bichel, "However our own manager has probably given us the biggest sledge in saying he doesn't think we can win a title."

"Kyle and I are good mates, and he's entitled to his own opinion and he has said that his decisions in recruiting were aimed at improving our bowling, in particular, in our one day game. However, I disagree with him that we won't be challenging for a title in the first class arena. I'll admit on paper our team probably isn't the strongest, but these games are not won on paper, their won out on the paddock." Bichel stated.

"We've kept most of our top order in both forms from last season, so there won't be too much disruption there, and the bowlers we've recruited should give us some good strike power."

"Again we'll be relying heavily on Matty Hayden at the top of the order, we'll also be looking for more from Joey Jenkins and Younis Stark. I think we can do it."

Bichel in his first season as coach will face Victoria in the first round of the first class season and all eyes will be on Queensland's second round draft pick Sohail Tanvir and whether he can be the srike weapon that Queensland seek.

99*

International Debutant
One Day Betting Opens
Australian's tipped to run rampant over WCC

The much anticipated One Day betting odds have been released today and they are expecting an Australian white-wash.

In Division One, New South Wales are tipped as favourites with arch-rivals Queensland just behind. For those living in Western Australia however time are not looking bright with the side being favoured to drop to Division Two.
Code:
One Day Division One
NSW: $1.60
Queensland: $1.75
Victoria: $2.80
Yorkshire: $3.50
SA: $5.00
NZI: $7.75
Auckland: $11.00
WA: $16.00
Division Two sees three clubs in the race for first, Cobras, South Zone India and Kandurata all at close odds. On the opposite end of the table Kent and West Midlands look to battle for the spoon this year.
Code:
One Day Division Two
Cobras: $2.00
SZI: $2.15
Kandurata: $2.30
Tasmania: $3.70
Titans: $6.00
Karachi: $8.50
West Midlands: $12.00
Kent: $18.00
Onto the individual milestones, in Division One batting Yorkshire's C. Taylor tops the odds. Some calling the decision 'Made to lose money'.
Code:
Top Run Scorer Division One, One Day
C. Taylor (YKS): $2.20
M. Hussey (WA): $2.90
M. Hayden (QLD): $3.70
P. Jaques (NSW): $6.60
Z. Roberts (AKL): $8.00
Other players on request
Division Two has the top five players all paying under $5.00! Bookies are putting this down to the relative weak bowling line-ups found in the division.
Code:
Top Run Scorer Division Two One Day
K. Pietersen (KNT): $2.40
A. DeVilliers (TIT): $2.65
R. Ponting (TAS): $3.00
G. Smith (CC): $3.95
R. Dravid (SZI): $4.00
Other players on request
The wicket taker odds show the relative strength of the squads, NSW being one of the best bowling line-ups in the WCC has two in the top five for this season.
Code:
Top Wicket Taker Division One, One Day
B. Lee (NSW): $2.00
M. Johnson (QLD): $2.70
R. Wilson (NZI): $3.50
S. Bond (AKL): $4.80
B. Casson (NSW): $5.60
Other players on request
Divsion Two's bowling stocks are limited, West Midlands' J. Kirtley being favourite to take out Division Two.
Code:
Top WIcket Taker Division Two One Day
J. Kirtley (WTM): $2.40
N. Ul-Hasan (CC): $3.10
M. Muralitharan (KAN): $5.60
V. Kumar (SZI): $7.50
Other players on request

Mister Wright

Surprised Johnson's ahead of MacGill tbh. Jonshon was very poor last season in ODD. We'll see though.

Love Hayden's odds.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Would have a fair bit on Victoria @ $2.80. Biggest certainity in the game, them winning D1 ODs.

Would also have a fair bit on Bowes topping the runs.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
FLUFF LAUGHABLE

After being told of Matt 'Smelly' Fluff's comments Hamish McTavish had this to say after recovering from his laughing fit, "Look Smelly say's i cant walk in and say these things about other teams, what are we in here, a Schoolyard?? I mean harden up Smelly.. Look do you see the likes of Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger crying when the Great Jose Marinho attacked them? NO way.. Young Smelly needs to realise that this is a big boys game and that unless he's prepared to cop some abuse then he better pack his bags".

McTavish went on to comment on Fluff being the latest man to come out and speak for NSW manager Jamee Gray, "Im seriously wondering if this Gray guy even exists or is he just a mute? Everyone seems to want to talk for him, and tell me how he feels.. Well you know what, i dont care how he feels".

When asked about Fluff's comments on his outbursts effecting his team performance McTavish saw red, "This guy has no idea, he wants to live in a world were everyone loves each other, Well Kumbaya my son, Wake the hell up. My team is more fired up then me, and they are coming to rip your team to shreds. He talks about pressure, Is this the same pressure that his side capitulated under in the FC playoff last season? I mean seriously my pet dog could have done a better job motivating that team, and he's been dead for 14 years".

Asked if he had any final words for Fluff, McTavish had this to say, "Smelly, im calling you and your team out. Prove to me that you are more then little fish in the big sea. At this point to me, Fluff you are a little man, show me your not and maybe, just maybe you can step into the big man's world and be known as FART instead".