• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies squad for the VB Series

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
If Morton has been in prison means he has a criminal record which would probably mean the Australian Government won't let him into Australia.
It was just an analogy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Why?
Why does a bowler have to bowl at the death to be good?
There are good bowlers at each stage, and yes, being able to bowl economically at the death is a special art, but equally being unable to do so is no disgrace.
If he were that good he'd not be hit at any time!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
If Morton has been in prison means he has a criminal record which would probably mean the Australian Government won't let him into Australia.
That would be interesting - would the tour still go on if that sort of think were to happen?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
As so often, there are plenty of certainties:
Gayle, W Hinds, Lara, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Powell, Bravo, Browne, Bradshaw, Dillon
I don't think anyone really doubts the presence of these lot.
care to explain why powell is a certainity? hes been disappointing for god knows how long. same with w. hinds

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
care to explain why powell is a certainity? hes been disappointing for god knows how long. same with w. hinds
Wavell Hinds has won matches for the West Indies. Powell has too, but Wavell has done it more. He may not have the finest career record, but a player who can average 30 and is capable of scoring hundreds, as well as bowling some very handy overs is not the worst to have in any side.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Wavell Hinds has won matches for the West Indies. Powell has too, but Wavell has done it more. He may not have the finest career record, but a player who can average 30 and is capable of scoring hundreds, as well as bowling some very handy overs is not the worst to have in any side.
and dwayne smith in his short career so far has already saved 1 test and won 1 ODI. yet he doesnt even come into contention for the test squad and has an outside chance of making the ODI XI.
with regard to hinds, in his entire career, hes had 2 good series, 1 against india in india and one against australia. between and after those hes been miserable such as his average of 9 and 7 odd in his last 2 series against ODI class sides. no way should he be a certainity to make any side.
powell meanwhile has had so so many opportunities now. he keeps getting starts and failing to go on with it. in fact his highest score since the 76 against india some 5 years ago is 50(not counting performances against zim and b'desh). in fact within that period hes only score 2 50s against ODI class opposition. i dont see how a person whos scored 2 50s in 5 years has won matches and i certainly dont see why he should be put down in the side as a certainity. it seems to me that these players lose far far more games with their poor batting than they do with their runs.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Powell provides a bowling option and is an exceptionally good fielder.He's scored those 50s when he's been higher up in the order.If he only has a few overs to score runs isn't it likely that he'd try some weird shots and in turn get poor scores.When he was opening the batting in the post-WC series against Australia he was working pretty good with Gayle and also in SA later that year he wasn't that bad was he?

tooextracool

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
Powell provides a bowling option?
he does? an average of 45 with an ER of 6.11. if they're bowling him then things must be desperate in the bowling department.

roseboy64 said:
and is an exceptionally good fielder.
and you pick a player based on his primary ability which is his batting, which ATM is barely good enough to be in the side let alone him being a certainity.

roseboy64 said:
He's scored those 50s when he's been higher up in the order.If he only has a few overs to score runs isn't it likely that he'd try some weird shots and in turn get poor scores.When he was opening the batting in the post-WC series against Australia he was working pretty good with Gayle and also in SA later that year he wasn't that bad was he?
is that why his average goes down when he bats up the order? he had one decent series against SA, and still couldnt get a big score and he followed that series with 3 poor ones.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
If Powell is going to retain his place he needs to be something more than the lower order slogger that he is now. He needs to sort out his batting so he is useful, bar the odd good performance, in the whole innings not just the last 10 overs

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
How can he be more than a lower order slogger if all he ever is is in the lower order.He's played higher in the order before and looked good doing it.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
That would be interesting - would the tour still go on if that sort of think were to happen?
Then that countries cricket board really would have lost the plot and probably shouldn't be allowed near a cricket governing body until they take a "fit and proper persons test". Something certain BCCI members did in South Africa in 2001.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
If he were that good he'd not be hit at any time!
Why?
The skills required to bowl in the first 40 overs are totally different to those required in the last 10.
Everyone knows that. For a start, you need to bowl a totally different length.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
Wavell Hinds has been pretty darn good recently, though yes, he's underachieved for much of his career. Opening all the time doesn't help, either.
Powell is a certainty because the fact that he's totally rubbish doesn't seem to count for much and never has.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Anyone who rallied to the defence of Runako Morton would need their head examined!
Whereas I could sort of understand the South African squad's threats to rally around Gibbs and Boje.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
and dwayne smith in his short career so far has already saved 1 test and won 1 ODI. yet he doesnt even come into contention for the test squad and has an outside chance of making the ODI XI.
with regard to hinds, in his entire career, hes had 2 good series, 1 against india in india and one against australia. between and after those hes been miserable such as his average of 9 and 7 odd in his last 2 series against ODI class sides. no way should he be a certainity to make any side.
powell meanwhile has had so so many opportunities now. he keeps getting starts and failing to go on with it. in fact his highest score since the 76 against india some 5 years ago is 50(not counting performances against zim and b'desh). in fact within that period hes only score 2 50s against ODI class opposition. i dont see how a person whos scored 2 50s in 5 years has won matches and i certainly dont see why he should be put down in the side as a certainity. it seems to me that these players lose far far more games with their poor batting than they do with their runs.
As much as you would like it, I shan't argue with you as I don't like to start things that can't be stopped.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Why?
The skills required to bowl in the first 40 overs are totally different to those required in the last 10.
Everyone knows that. For a start, you need to bowl a totally different length.

So in that case the side can just play him away with no problems for his 10 overs, pick up some comfortable runs and preserve wickets for the death - exactly the reason I think you seriously over-rate him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Except if you've got 4 bowlers, whom you comfortably play - but pick-up just 3.7-an-over - in the first 40, then the death bowling is good and you pick-up just 6-an-over (and that's if you've done well) then you've not got much of a total.

Don

State Vice-Captain
i kno this aint the place for this but i cant seem to catch liam online. liam is the north south classic on the 16-19 in the north team whu is this leron lezama.ive never heard of him.is this the right name

tooextracool

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
How can he be more than a lower order slogger if all he ever is is in the lower order.He's played higher in the order before and looked good doing it.
hes had plenty of chances at the top order, and his average actually goes down when he bats up the order.