• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will England produce a (decent) leg spinner in our lifetime?

Will England ever a HALF-DECENT Legspinner

• Yes!

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • No!

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
To play in a international sport not for your nationality team, dont you need to have lived in that county 4 years?
I think so.

Personally, I don't think you should be allowed to play for one country if you've played for another up to a certain level. For example, if an U16 Aussie moves to the UK, he should be allowed to play for England. However, if he's played for Australia A, perhaps he shouldn't?

There are always exceptions, but these should be on a country-by-country basis. For example, if Wales became a separate cricketing nation in its own right, they can have Geraint Jones ;)

Umm...

No.
I don't think the cricket world has seen a better orthodox offie than Saqi(Murali is not orthodox) in last 25 years at least.I think he has a very good record considering its almost all over for orthodox offies in international cricket.Overall, Murali & Warne are much superior spinners to Saqlain but Saqlain at his peak was better than them but its a shame that his peak was not as long as the other 2 legendry spinners.

I think so.

Personally, I don't think you should be allowed to play for one country if you've played for another up to a certain level. For example, if an U16 Aussie moves to the UK, he should be allowed to play for England. However, if he's played for Australia A, perhaps he shouldn't?

There are always exceptions, but these should be on a country-by-country basis. For example, if Wales became a separate cricketing nation in its own right, they can have Geraint Jones ;)
Yes,no one should ever be allowed to do a Kepler Wessels again:) .Even if somone manages to play for another country somehow,he should lose the respectof his fans & other crcket followers around the world.

stumpski

International Captain
You should treat every case on its merits. John Traicos played for South Africa in 1970 but it would have been a very hard decision not to let him play for Zimbabwe in the late 1980s/early 90s, especially as he was Rhodesian anyway - not by birth, but he represented Rhodesia/Zimbabwe for the whole of his long career.

stumpski

International Captain
Yes I saw that. Bit of a difference between being named in a Twenty20 squad and getting recalled to the Test side, but good luck to the guy - I don't dislike him as many seem to do. Bowled rubbish at Lord's yesterday, mind.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
ECB and CSA were favouring a solution rather similar which would stop under-19 cricketers swapping nationalities. ICC would need to approve it but it works well in football and in particular with African national football for once you have represented one association than that’s it (although there is anomalies to this of course).

chris.hinton

International Captain
Adil Rashid is the only one with a chance.

Ian Salisbury is a good spinner but with the system we had in past 10-15 years ago it ****ed him up. We have had Terry Jenner since and if Salisbury was roped in at the same time as Warne, he would have been excellent for England but did not have the high class coaching so it flawed his action.he turns it loads

Jenner academy is doing ok apart from Rashid there are Lawson and Munday on County contracts. with Schofield and Salisbury and Marshall we now have 6 (english)leggies in first class cricket. More then in the last 15 years. it getting there but need another 5-8 years.

DaViet

Cricket Spectator
I know schofield & salisbury are good leggies, but it will be a while, mainly because Panesar has it for the next 10 years at least

Ask Warne to 'do it' and bring the kid over to England. It's all in the blood.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, and Schofield isn't even that...

Salisbury has, at least of times, had a successful domestic career; Schofield has struggled to do that.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
It's Schofield's action that I'm particulary worried about tbh. He just doesn't get his left arm high enough.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, that and so much else is all-over-the-place. There's never been any flow, any... look of ease about it. He always looks so rushed, so ungainly.

It's no wonder he struggles to land the ball with such an action. Salisbury's line might have rendered him totally ineffectual in his latter Tests (2 wickets in his last 6 games :blink: both the last to fall in the innings) but at least there was always an element of consistency there, which allowed him to have - up to 2000 - a successful domestic career.