• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicket partnership records - retired hurt

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
If a batsman retires hurt, how is that considered (if at all) in partnership stats?

eg:
Fall of 1st wicket 30-1
Batsman retires hurt @ 60-1
Fall of 2nd wicket 100-1

What is the total of the 2nd wicket partnership and which batsmen were involved in it?

Molehill

International Captain
That's a niche stat request and one I would have no idea how to find. Others here might....

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
If a batsman retires hurt, how is that considered (if at all) in partnership stats?

eg:
Fall of 1st wicket 30-1
Batsman retires hurt @ 60-1
Fall of 2nd wicket 100-1

What is the total of the 2nd wicket partnership and which batsmen were involved in it?
In partnership lists (eg on Statsguru) that would be one partnership of 30* and one of 40.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
OK. Makes sense.

Has there ever been a wicket partnership record involving 3 batsmen?
I don't ever recall hearing one.
In 1982 India added 415 for their 3rd wicket in the 5th Test against England: 99* by Vengsarkar and Viswanath, and 316 by Viswanath and Yashpal Sharma. That would be India’s record partnership for any wicket, but it’s not generally listed as such.

Molehill

International Captain
It's considered the end of the partnership, just without a dismissal (same as the way the batsman's innings is not out).

Molehill is wrong, as usual.
I don't even know who you are, but nice that you've noticed me.

Anyway, look back at the original question, "what is the total of the 2nd wicket partnership"?

The answer is still 70, but individual partnerships between batsmen are 30 and 40.

PS I've spent rather too much time over the past 10 years scoring matches in Girls Junior Cricket.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't even know who you are, but nice that you've noticed me.

Anyway, look back at the original question, "what is the total of the 2nd wicket partnership"?

The answer is still 70, but individual partnerships between batsmen are 30 and 40.

PS I've spent rather too much time over the past 10 years scoring matches in Girls Junior Cricket.
Except they're way they're actually treated, the total is irrelevant.

Molehill

International Captain
Except they're way they're actually treated, the total is irrelevant.
Why is the total irrelevant? You could have 5 retired hurts, but if no one is out until 100 runs, the 2nd wicket partnership is still 70.

No need to be pedantic, you made a mistake, now move on.....

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is the total irrelevant? You could have 5 retired hurts, but if no one is out until 100 runs, the 2nd wicket partnership is still 70.

No need to be pedantic, you made a mistake, now move on.....
No it's not because the partnership ends at the retirement. The next one might still be for the second wicket, but it's a new partnership and is not summed to the first. Hence why you do not see the example mentioned by @AndrewB listed amongst Indian partnership records.

Molehill

International Captain
No it's not because the partnership ends at the retirement. The next one might still be for the second wicket, but it's a new partnership and is not summed to the first. Hence why you do not see the example mentioned by @AndrewB listed amongst Indian partnership records.
I get what you're saying, but look at the original question.

When a batsman retires hurt, that's not the end of the 2nd wicket partnership. That's just the end of the partnership between those two batsmen. The next man out is still going to be the 2nd wicket.

Partnership records presumably look at the most amount of runs scored between 2 batsmen, not necessarily the total amount for a wicket.