• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is it viewed as more important

subshakerz

International Coach
I have no issues with Imran, unlike Subz who through every player he attacks, be it Ambrose, Kallis, or Steyn, it's directly related to players who the forum rates ahead of or even close to Imran.
Just a quick point to say that my Lara critique has nothing to do with Imran.

subshakerz

International Coach
For instance, the repeated insistence in calling his average of 28 in India bad, while ignoring that the 1987 series he played there was one of the most batter friendly series ever played and 4 of the 5 tests were drawn. Kapil struggled massively too.
We have all tried to warn @kyear2 it's not his rating but his double standards criteria that we can't swallow. Nobody cares where he ranks Imran or whoever. There may be posters who rank Imran lower or higher.

So he will dock Imran in your example but then finds excuses for Steyn's high averages on flat wickets or calls Ambrose in Pakistan (15 wickets in 5 tests @25) proof of his prowess in the SC. It's all just flatly wrong.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
What's your take on that 16/17 run calculation kyear? If it's correct I think extra batting/bowling is definitely more useful in a typical game

subshakerz

International Coach
None of the last couple posts even had anything to do with Imran, expect the retorts from the human troll, but not you.
Not sure if it is trollish, but I do get a sick pleasure out of a poster in an argument having to resort to personal insults when they know they lost or have been caught out for their hypocrisy.

Btw, ATG games = low-scoring = runs more important = bowling ARs more important, can you respond to this please? You haven't yet given a rebuttal.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have another one. Lower scoring games, where you don't usually need a 5th bowler, are more important in general because you'll get a result out of them. Higher scoring games where you might want a 5th bowler more are more likely to be draws that you get nothing out of so what's the point.

ataraxia

International Coach
I have another one. Lower scoring games, where you don't usually need a 5th bowler, are more important in general because you'll get a result out of them. Higher scoring games where you might want a 5th bowler more are more likely to be draws that you get nothing out of so what's the point.
But remember if an ATG top order fails then Imran will hardly be able to do a thing!

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
What's your take on that 16/17 run calculation kyear? If it's correct I think extra batting/bowling is definitely more useful in a typical game
16 or 17 runs per match doesn't sound much. But it is the equivalent of picking a batsman averaging 42 instead of one averaging 50.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure if it is trollish, but I do get a sick pleasure out of a poster in an argument having to resort to personal insults when they know they lost or have been caught out for their hypocrisy.
Hmmmm but how do you explain my boy Xix doing it at the start of an argument before anyone has had the chance to be wrong yet 🤔

subshakerz

International Coach
Draws or the opposition has scored high enough that you will lose. Fair point.

Hmmmm but how do you explain my boy Xix doing it at the start of an argument before anyone has had the chance to be wrong yet 🤔
Can only speak for myself.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
16 or 17 runs per match doesn't sound much. But it is the equivalent of picking a batsman averaging 42 instead of one averaging 50.
A bit less than this on the average delta if you want to calculate it this way. A bat doesn't get dismissed 4 times every game.

I think it's still reasonably valuable, and will swing the odd game. But I don't think it's likely to be as important as the other secondary disciplines.

Having more than one great plus one good slip is going to give you some seriously diminishing returns.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not more valuable than batting or bowling. To pretend otherwise is to lie. Sorry, but you've been on this ridiculous point for far too long and it's been bizarre how you would do anything but acknowledge this.
Just because you disagree it's not a lie. There's been a lot of false narratives going around on this forum and it's ridiculous.

Cricket has three components, batting bowling and fielding. Yes, fielding cannot be a primary skills or criteria, but it's a vital part of the game. It bothers me not in the slightest if you agree or not.

Was reading through a match report up to last night from a match, India vs the WI, where it was list due to apparently no less than 8 drops. Pakistan just lost a test series because of one man in the cordon, I posted an article showing how, not only has it lost teams series, but was a major feature of two dynasties.
Apparently Bob Simpson made his test debut die to no small part because of his catching, I know Carl Hooper kept his pace for as long as consistently as he did because if his catching, for Waugh it was also a safety net.
A team cannot achieve consistent success home and away without a viable cordon.

The skills of Waugh, Sobers, Ponting, Kallis, Simpson, Botham, Hooper etc has changed matches and series. The constant disregard is hilarious.

subshakerz

International Coach
Just because you disagree it's not a lie. There's been a lot of false narratives going around on this forum and it's ridiculous.

Cricket has three components, batting bowling and fielding. Yes, fielding cannot be a primary skills or criteria, but it's a vital part of the game. It bothers me not in the slightest if you agree or not.

Was reading through a match report up to last night from a match, India vs the WI, where it was list due to apparently no less than 8 drops. Pakistan just lost a test series because of one man in the cordon, I posted an article showing how, not only has it lost teams series, but was a major feature of two dynasties.
Apparently Bob Simpson made his test debut die to no small part because of his catching, I know Carl Hooper kept his pace for as long as consistently as he did because if his catching, for Waugh it was also a safety net.
A team cannot achieve consistent success home and away without a viable cordon.

The skills of Waugh, Sobers, Ponting, Kallis, Simpson, Botham, Hooper etc has changed matches and series. The constant disregard is hilarious.
Legit questions, would you give extra points to pacers who had outright poor cordons, the same case as flat pitches?