• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why does England struggle to produce an abundance of quality strikers?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I say we should go all Spanish and let reserve teams fly up the league a la Barcelona B and Real Madrid C.

ripper868

International Coach
Re thread title.

The reason is the third word of the thread title. it has no relation to the second last word of the title.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I say we should go all Spanish and let reserve teams fly up the league a la Barcelona B and Real Madrid C.
No way. The Championship is the third most attended league in Europe (behind the Prem & the Bundesliga) and the fact that people turn up for it in such numbers is because people give far more of a **** about (say) Ipswich, QPR or Preston than they would about Chavski B or ManUre reserves.

Besides I'd hardly hold up Spain as a blueprint for international success anyway; even worse record than us.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No way. The Championship is the third most attended league in Europe (behind the Prem & the Bundesliga) and the fact that people turn up for it in such numbers is because people give far more of a **** about (say) Ipswich, QPR or Preston than they would about Chavski B or ManUre reserves.

Besides I'd hardly hold up Spain as a blueprint for international success anyway; even worse record than us.
whilst i agree i'll raise the point that the reserve leagues do get good attendance here in the UK, but imo they probably do more to detract from the potential of younger players rather than heighten it. Players below the age of 19 or certainly 18 should be left to train with their respective youth/academy sides or put straight into the first team, the reserve teams should be for first team players recovering from injury and short on fitness, or for reserves funnily enough and not be left as a step up from the clubs youth teams, its just not beneficial.