• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why are we getting an Ashes in 2016?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I remember at the end of the last Ashes I read talks of switching the Ashes cycle to stop the away Ashes clashing with the WC. So maybe they have decided to bring it forwards a year from 2016 onwards. That's all I can think of.

If that's the way it's gonna go it means the home Ashes will clash with the Euros which isn't great, but I suppose it's more important not to have such a big series clash with the CWC.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Don't worry lads, there'll be big screens outside the ground showing the Scotland vs Romania final, there's no need to worry.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thinking about it, Euros would normally finish first week in July, so there wouldn't actually often be a clash per se.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember at the end of the last Ashes I read talks of switching the Ashes cycle to stop the away Ashes clashing with the WC. So maybe they have decided to bring it forwards a year from 2016 onwards. That's all I can think of.

If that's the way it's gonna go it means the home Ashes will clash with the Euros which isn't great, but I suppose it's more important not to have such a big series clash with the CWC.
It's Ashes series' in Australia that need to be moved in order to un-synchronise it with World Cups, which I agreed when the idea was first mooted is a very good one, for both sides. That appears not to be happening any time soon.

And I said it in the other thread - seems to baffle all logic to move UK-based Ashes out of the odd-numbered year they've occupied very happily since 1977. Although World\Euro football Championships wouldn't clash with the current schedule, many people involved with the English game still hope Ashes series' will eventually move back to their traditional mid-June-to-mid-August schedule.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's Ashes series' in Australia that need to be moved in order to un-synchronise it with World Cups, which I agreed when the idea was first mooted is a very good one, for both sides. That appears not to be happening any time soon.

And I said it in the other thread - seems to baffle all logic to move UK-based Ashes out of the odd-numbered year they've occupied very happily since 1977. Although World\Euro football Championships wouldn't clash with the current schedule, many people involved with the English game still hope Ashes series' will eventually move back to their traditional mid-June-to-mid-August schedule.
Yes indeed, but maybe they want to keep things at the current time lag, so they are bringing both forwards a year, if that makes sense?

Actually, you know what. I'm gonna email the ECB and ask them.

edit - email sent, hopefully I'll get a reply in the morning. will probably be nonchalant and say "oooh I don't know" but it's worth a try.

Also. I don't ever see the Ashes starting in mid-June again, ftr

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Possibly the quickest solution. We wait with baited breath for working hours to commence tomorrow.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
2016 will finally put it back on historical track that was thrown out of sequence when it was moved from 1976 to 1977 because of the unscheduled short series in 1975.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What about the one that was thrown out of sequence by the Second World War, meaning there wasn't an Ashes between 1938 and 1948?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I imagine we'll go to Australia in 2017/18 then, with the WC in 2018/19. When I'll be 33. Forward planning FTW.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Will have to keep an eye on the Aussies' home schedule. Planning on going the 2014/15 Ashes, don't want my savings to have to move forwards a year :ph34r:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What about the one that was thrown out of sequence by the Second World War, meaning there wasn't an Ashes between 1938 and 1948?
The War was a rather more worthy reason for change than throwing in four unscheduled Tests to fleece the public just because Australia were in the Country for the World Cup.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The ECB supercomputer has calculated that Mitch Johnson will start landing the ball on the cut strip in 2017 and the ECB has therefore brought the series forward by a year to ensure the continued retention of the urn

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This what the Independent has to say. (which is similar to what GIMH said earlier in the thread but with fairly flimsy justification added)

Why is the Ashes happening in 2016?

The ECB wants to avoid the situation where England play a World Cup after a gruelling Test series, so after coming in 2013 the Baggy Greens will be back in 2016.

Amol Rajan

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This what the Independent has to say. (which is similar to what GIMH said earlier in the thread but with fairly flimsy justification added)

Why is the Ashes happening in 2016?

The ECB wants to avoid the situation where England play a World Cup after a gruelling Test series, so after coming in 2013 the Baggy Greens will be back in 2016.

Amol Rajan
So that hints that both series are being shifted simualtaneously.

Hope it's 2014/15 that's shifted to 2013/14 rather than 2018/19 to 2017/18. The sooner the change is made, the better.

biased indian

International Coach
So that hints that both series are being shifted simualtaneously.

Hope it's 2014/15 that's shifted to 2013/14 rather than 2018/19 to 2017/18. The sooner the change is made, the better.
would have become 3 test series by then...:ph34r:

even if the public want more test.... players would love to play more T20 by then