• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why are so many windies cricketers desrving of a knighthood?

davado

School Boy/Girl Captain
what about Sir Allan Border ?
i think even 12th man for the west indies and the guy who mixed the cordial got one upon retirement

Aritro

International Regular
Yeah Australia stopped awarding Australian* knighthoods, and banned people from accepting British knighthoods

*despite a brief, hilariously misguided attempt by arch-Tory Tony Abbott to bring Australian knighthoods back. He squandered whatever tolerance the public had for them by awarding one to Prince Phillip in 2014. They were gone about five minutes after he was dumped as PM.

Aritro

International Regular
Yeah Australia stopped awarding Australian* knighthoods, and banned people from accepting British knighthoods

*despite a brief, hilariously misguided attempt by arch-Tory Tony Abbott to bring Australian knighthoods back. He squandered whatever tolerance the public had for them by awarding one to Prince Phillip in 2014. They were gone about five minutes after he was dumped as PM.
My bad, sounds like "banned" is a mischaracterisation. From wiki:

Following the UK New Year Honours List in 1990, which contained no Australian nominations for British honours, the Queen's Private Secretary, Sir William Heseltine, wrote to the Governor-General, saying "this seems a good moment to consider whether the time has not arrived for Australia, like Canada, to honour its citizens exclusively within its own system". There followed more than two years of negotiations with state governments before the Prime Minister, Paul Keating, made the announcement on 5 October 1992 that Australia would make no further recommendations for British honours.[8] The Australian Order of Wear states that "all imperial British awards made to Australian citizens after 5 October 1992 are foreign awards and should be worn accordingly".[9]

Although I did think Australians had been banned from accepting them as well. Someone else might know?

Slifer

International Captain
what about Sir Allan Border ?
i think even 12th man for the west indies and the guy who mixed the cordial got one upon retirement
Smh. Jealous much? AFAIK only a handful of West Indians have knighthood. And if i recall, only Worrell and Sobers by the queen herself. The rest by local governors. Now that Barbados is a republic (as are Trinidad, Guyana and Dominica) plus islands wanting to distance themselves from the crown, I doubt we'll see any more knighthood going forward. Imo probably only Richardson probably didn't really deserve one.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I doubt we'll see any more knighthood going forward. Imo probably only Richardson probably didn't really deserve one.
Eh you never know, Greenidge and Lloyd were both knighted in 2020.

You’ll also have a hard time convincing me Griffith and Greenidge were deserving. At least blokes like Hunte and Hall gave the rest of their lives to improving cricket and communities.

If it was up to me I’d probably say only knight Worrell, Sobers and Viv. Maybe let Guyana have Lloyd, they are a whole separate country. Lara will probably grab one for Trinidad in the future and Headley for Jamaica was definitely more deserving than the rest imo.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is interesting how few sportspeople have achieved the highest rank in the Australian honours system. Bradman, Emerson, Landy, Cuthbert, Elliott, Jackson-Nelson, Court, Goolagong, Laver, Fraser, Uren. Some of whom were politicians too. Does seem a much lower proportion of sportspeople than, say, the UK - despite sport being a significant chunk of Australian culture.

Slifer

International Captain
Eh you never know, Greenidge and Lloyd were both knighted in 2020.

You’ll also have a hard time convincing me Griffith and Greenidge were deserving. At least blokes like Hunte and Hall gave the rest of their lives to improving cricket and communities.

If it was up to me I’d probably say only knight Worrell, Sobers and Viv. Maybe let Guyana have Lloyd, they are a whole separate country. Lara will probably grab one for Trinidad in the future and Headley for Jamaica was definitely more deserving than the rest imo.
Well foot in mouth, I didn't even know Greenidge and Lloyd were knighted. I'll crawl back under the rock from whence I came. Whoever said WI were being knighted left and right, was correct.....exits in shame

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Well foot in mouth, I didn't even know Greenidge and Lloyd were knighted. I'll crawl back under the rock from whence I came. Whoever said WI were being knighted left and right, was correct.....exits in shame
Yeah its kinda screwed up, in the past decade there have been 7 Windies players knighted for services to cricket compared to 3 for England, and obviously Aus/NZ haven’t had a cricketer knighted even this century. The overall numbers are now ridiculous, Australia 1, New Zealand 1, Windies 13 and England 14.