• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why are English cricketers always injured???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahindiawah

Banned
Wonder whats wrong with them, nearly half a dozen of them are always injured.Can't recall when was the last time they fielded a full fledge squad.

[Edited on 26/10/2002 by wahindiawah]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I was expecting this to be a stupid poll, but some of the answers were reasonably well thought out. You had to put a couple of stupid ones which will make it a farce in there didn't you?

I think its a combination of different factors.Their Physio must be an awful one and the players themselves doesn't seems to be much interested in keeping themselves fit.

Also, some might just prefer to escape the Ashes series with lame excuses of being injured

That's really a mistery for me, maybe they don't take their cricket seriously.

BTW, who is their Physio? he must have been doing a wonderful job!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Right...unless all English cricketers are gay then I doubt they would be in love with the Physio as he is a guy called Dean Conway...

Kimbo

International Debutant
nz players are over worked and sometimes have bad bowling actions.
nz injurys always seem to be stress fractures... :rolleyes:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Probably due to too much, too fast, too young.

i.e. Youngsters overworked before they're ready, players continuing to play whilst unfit (e.g. Flintoff) and then "recoveries" before becoming fit-again (e.g. Gough).

And why bother with "Loves Physio" and "Scared of Opponents". It doesn't impress anyone, or improve anyone's opinion of your maturity.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we should ban these type of polls as they seem to be getting out of hand. Just no point to them.

wahindiawah

Banned
Originally posted by marc71178
I was expecting this to be a stupid poll, but some of the answers were reasonably well thought out. You had to put a couple of stupid ones which will make it a farce in there didn't you?
There is nothing stupid in it, the only stupid part comes when English team loses and their fans starts Whinging over the injured players.

It a facts that many English cricketers in the past had avoided playing in subcontinent with a lame excuse of injuries etc.Its also a fact that many cricketers feign injury(not just English ones) to skip matches.

Peace!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So putting in "In love with medical staff" and "Feign injury for fear of oponents" aren't stupid?

For your information, those that withdrew from tours of the subcontinent in yesteryear were more worried about the standards of food and hotels then the opposition. The only one cricketer from England that I can remember feigning injury to avoid playing was Boycott.

For the record, the other 3 are all valid reasons, although I don't think an incompetent physio means people actually get injured in the first place, maybe poor coaching at junior level is a more realistic answer?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
hey my poll was just like this neil , if u had to ban that you have to ban this , no unfair biased judgements thanks

This poll is as stupid as that one was , i mad that one to show how stupid this one is....

And if you look at the way the question is being put its kinda "rude" too

Sulphate

Cricket Spectator

For your information, those that withdrew from tours of the subcontinent in yesteryear were more worried about the standards of food and hotels then the opposition. The only one cricketer from England that I can remember feigning injury to avoid playing was Boycott.
i'm pretty sure that at least one of them withdrew because of the possible terrorist threat because of indians closeness to afghanistan. anyway thats more offtopic.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by lord_of_darkness
hey my poll was just like this neil , if u had to ban that you have to ban this , no unfair biased judgements thanks

This poll is as stupid as that one was , i mad that one to show how stupid this one is....

And if you look at the way the question is being put its kinda "rude" too
I agree with Lord, his was obviously a mickey take based on the stupid options given in this poll!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Both Caddick and Croft declined to tour because of that - for Croft it has meant the end of his International career (about 10 years too late IMO)

But that's got nothing to do with feigning injury or being scared of the opposition. If you're going to say that, then I suggest the Aussies of 1996 were scared of the opposition, as were this years New Zealand side.

wahindiawah

Banned
So putting in "In love with medical staff" and "Feign injury for fear of oponents" aren't stupid?

And why were the worried about food and whether?? if they happen to be SO cautious why do they end up getting sick all the time?? Doesn't it sound stupid, the cricketers who happen to take extra ordinary precautions regarding their health end up getting injured more than any one else.
As for food and Hotel, English men have always been provided excellent facilities, all these are lame excuses,they simply don't have the heart to face the music!

[/quote]For the record, the other 3 are all valid reasons, although I don't think an incompetent physio means people actually get injured in the first place, maybe poor coaching at junior level is a more realistic answer? [/quote]
A competent physio with his spot on diagnosis can treat the player accordingly and prevent the player from getting into some serious trouble. If you suffers from a simple muscle strain or minor tendon tear and aren't treated appropriately, then you can end up getting out of action for a longer time ,thanks to someone's inefficielncy!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And why were the worried about food and whether?? if they happen to be SO cautious why do they end up getting sick all the time?? Doesn't it sound stupid, the cricketers who happen to take extra ordinary precautions regarding their health end up getting injured more than any one else.
As for food and Hotel, English men have always been provided excellent facilities, all these are lame excuses,they simply don't have the heart to face the music!
Back then, the standards of hygiene were a lot lower, and tourists did go down with food poisoning. In fact, even as recently as 1993 it happened (Gatting & co. and the prawns)

Besides, what evidence do you have that England have more injuries than other teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.