• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

whos the best spinner ever

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whilst Warne is one of the greatest spinners the world has ever seen, I don't know whether he is even the best of the current era.

What he isn't, of course, is a very good ambassador for the sport of cricket, and I think that's far more important.

luckyeddie said:
Whilst Warne is one of the greatest spinners the world has ever seen, I don't know whether he is even the best of the current era.

What he isn't, of course, is a very good ambassador for the sport of cricket, and I think that's far more important.
whatever, answer the question :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Laker, O'Reilly, Benaud, Grimmett, Warne, Muralitharan, Bedi, Chandrasekhar, Prasanna, Venkat, Saqlain, Tayfield, Ramadhin, Valentine..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All approximately equal IMO:
Grimmett, O'Reilly, Benaud, Abdul Qadir, Warne, Muralitharan.
Approximately equal, and all had helpful conditions to help them:
Rhodes, Verity, Underwood, Lock, Laker, Gibbs, Kumble.
Above everything: SF Barnes.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shane Warne said:
whatever, answer the question :P
I can't, because it's difficult to compare players across eras. My gut feeling is Clarrie Grimmett, but it could be Warne, could be Murali, could be (insert name here)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
All approximately equal IMO:
Grimmett, O'Reilly, Benaud, Abdul Qadir, Warne, Muralitharan.
Approximately equal, and all had helpful conditions to help them:
Rhodes, Verity, Underwood, Lock, Laker, Gibbs, Kumble.
Above everything: SF Barnes.
Some excellent names there - but I'm not sure whether I would classify Syd Barnes as the greatest spin bowler - I would, however, classify him as the greatest bowler full stop by a military mile - no-one comes close. He could (allegedly) bowl genuinely quick, medium (both off and leg cutters), orthodox off-breaks and leg-spin - the most complete bowler of any era.

Now, if only he could have batted, Sobers would have only been the second most complete player ever.

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In the current era two bowlers stand out: Murali and Warne. Difficult to judge between the two, but i have a certain bias towards Warne as I bowl leggies myself :D

In the past Benaud, Abdul Qadir, Venkat, Chandrasaker, Bedi and Grimmett stick out (sorry if i've missed any!)

cbuts

International Debutant
murali is the best by far, look at his record, will be the fastest bowler to 500 wickets. baring any major injury or something crazy lol

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
From what I have seen it's a battle between Murali and Warne but I'd choose Murali, just an awesome bowler and great to watch.

Craig

World Traveller
If Goddard hadnt overbowled Valentine and Ramahdin then who knows what they might have achieved instead of being burnt out.

It go to the point Frank Worrell was a new ball bowler.

thierry henry

International Coach
Murali.

Has the best record and is still awesome and relatively young, unlike Warne who is a few years older and didn't turn it like he used to for a few years before his ban. Warne is second though.