• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to be the next good spinner?

Who's going to be the next great spinner?

• Total voters

tooextracool

International Coach
Tendulkar's far too wayward, though.
If he put his mind to it, I think Tendulkar has the potential to be one of the best spin bowlers around. However, he always put the focus on his batting exclusively and one can hardly chastise him for doing so at the end of the day.

tooextracool

International Coach
Should probably have said "switching from spin to seam". There've been plenty of good seamers who can bowl a good fast Off-Break, either as a one-off or over a spell.

Darren Gough and Craig White were two others.
Lance Klusener. Seen him bowl 6 balls an over that were all off breaks.

GGG

State Captain
The leg break is one of the hardest deliveries to bowl accurately so I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt bowl a leg break either.
Depends on a persons physical (for a better word) makeup, I can bowl more acurate legspin that offspin (admittedly both are very poor).

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
This poll is lacking in Hiren Varaiya, Rodney Trott...otherwise from the spinners listed I think bothe Chawla and Mendis will become great. Not much hope on the other two.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Haven't seen one yet TBH. Did he introduce them in the Asia Cup? I studies his bowling against the West Indies and he certainly didn't bowl one there.
He was definitely bowling leg cutters if not leg breaks - the hat trick ball was one, as (IIRC) the previous one to castle RP Singh

Nishant

International 12th Man
Ill go 4 Chawla...purely on the basis that one good performance by mendis does not prove a lot. Yes, it does show that he has a lot of talent and could potentially be world class ( considering that he did outwit the INDIAN batsmen) but i still feel that we need to see how he does in the nxt series against india...if he still successful then id change my vote tbh!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
purely on the basis that one good performance by mendis does not prove a lot.
Indeed, but he's had a few good performances at ODI level (and no poor ones UIMM), adding to the most impressive start to a First Class bowling career I've ever witnessed. Mendis has done a lot more than Chawla.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Indeed, but he's had a few good performances at ODI level (and no poor ones UIMM), adding to the most impressive start to a First Class bowling career I've ever witnessed. Mendis has done a lot more than Chawla.
fair enough...i guess its because ive not seen a lot of Mendis at all...and a little bit of Chawla. Ill reserve my final judgement for after the test series.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
fair enough...i guess its because ive not seen a lot of Mendis at all...and a little bit of Chawla. Ill reserve my final judgement for after the test series.
That's not fair. You're reserving your judgment of Mendis until after his debut Test series against some of the best players of spin in the world? Chawla has had a lot more time than that to make an impact and has done nothing of considerable note.

tooextracool

International Coach
Depends on a persons physical (for a better word) makeup, I can bowl more acurate legspin that offspin (admittedly both are very poor).
It just seems logical to me that giving a tweak with the fingers would be a lot easier than doing the same with the wrist. I guess there can be exceptions, but its rare IMO in world cricket to see a finger spinner spray it all over the place in the same way that you do see a wrist spinner.

tooextracool

International Coach
He was definitely bowling leg cutters if not leg breaks - the hat trick ball was one, as (IIRC) the previous one to castle RP Singh
Alot of them are doosras though. Even with the replays, I have a hard time picking him so I can only imagine how hard it must be for the batsmen. I think the only way i could predict which way the ball was spinning was based on the direction of the revolutions on the ball.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
wrist spinners are always important specially in test so chawla
he has a good head ,and has started turning his legbreaks so he is the man

Nishant

International 12th Man
That's not fair. You're reserving your judgment of Mendis until after his debut Test series against some of the best players of spin in the world? Chawla has had a lot more time than that to make an impact and has done nothing of considerable note.
No...i think i shud hav phrashed it better...im nt really lookin to compare him with Chawla or anything...im just saying that this guy is made to be an amazing prospect...the nxt best spinner, taking after Murali etc etc....i would lyk to judge whether or nt he has potential...obvioulsy im nt expecting him to shine like he did in the ODI!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No...i think i shud hav phrashed it better...im nt really lookin to compare him with Chawla or anything...im just saying that this guy is made to be an amazing prospect...the nxt best spinner, taking after Murali etc etc....i would lyk to judge whether or nt he has potential...obvioulsy im nt expecting him to shine like he did in the ODI!
The problem was this part:

Nishant said:
Ill go 4 Chawla
What you've said about Mendis is fine, but you still haven't explained why it's not true for Chawla as well and why you'd consider him better.

Guys Chawla is really impressive. Very few batsmen read his googly well. He has the variety. His googly take a very sharp turn. He would be a world class spinner in future.

Mendis could be a good one day player because of his better control on line and length.