• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you rather face?

adharcric

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Highly doubtful that you've ever faced a swing bowler as quick or as high quality as Bond though. I think a lot of people here are equating very ordinary swing with what Bond can produce.

Considering that Akhtar and Lee rely mostly on pace and Bond can be just about as quick as well as swing the ball more than either...

It's really baffling that people here would prefer to face quick bowling that's swinging than quick bowling that isn't.
Barely anyone here would even be able to make contact against either of the three bowlers. Everyone must assume that their "pace-reacting ability" increases enough so that they can actually see 90 mph stuff. With Akhtar and Lee bowling at my body, I know I'd get owned every time and end up in the hospital. With Bond bowling a middle-and-off line, I might hit a few (even at my current ability) and would at worst edge it to the slips. This really isn't a comparison, but I've hit very good league-standard bowlers through the off-side but even a league-standard Ganguly could "rough me up" by bowling short at my body. I value my health more than my wicket. :ph34r:

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
adharcric said:
Barely anyone here would even be able to make contact against either of the three bowlers. Everyone must assume that their "pace-reacting ability" increases enough so that they can actually see 90 mph stuff. With Akhtar and Lee bowling at my body, I know I'd get owned every time and end up in the hospital. With Bond bowling a middle-and-off line, I might hit a few (even at my current ability) and would at worst edge it to the slips. I value my health more than my wicket.
Neither Brett Lee nor Shoaib Akhtar bowl as effective bodyline as people seem to believe.

adharcric

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Neither Brett Lee nor Shoaib Akhtar bowl as effective bodyline as people seem to believe.
That's not the point. They try to bowl bodyline and that's good enough to screw me. Bond bowls on middle and off stump usually so I'll at least be able to attempt a shot against him.

Dravid

International Captain
Brett Lee tries to kill the batsman, just look at that beamer he bowled to Marcus last year

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If I was a lefty I'd hate to face Akhtar's around the wicket yorkers. Broken toe stuff that, or just clean bowled.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Hmm, difficult one. Whichever one I'd choose I know I'd get sconed, so I'd have to choose who is least likely to get me out. Considering that I generally play outswing better than inswing, that would have to be Lee. Though I'd be hoping like hell that he wouldn't bowl a beamer.

I know one person who has faced Shane Bond. It was at the NZ Academy a few years ago, and he said that he could barely see the ball and that when he woke up the next morning his enitre chest was a solid bruise.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Dravid said:
Brett Lee tries to kill the batsman, just look at that beamer he bowled to Marcus last year
I don't think its deliberate. But that doesn't help you as you pick your nose out of what used to be your cerebral cortex.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I have faced 83mph in the Yorkshire League a few times, and I can handle it very average. A block and a leg glance are pretty much the only things that I could do to anything over 80 mph, and under 86. Anything above 86, I couldn't play at all to be honest.

I'm very interested to find out more about the bloke who said he had faced 90mph before, because unless he is a county player playing against an overseas fast bowler, ie Bond, Lee, Akhtar, Sami; or playing against Harmison or Mahmood in County level, he must be lying, or being an international pro in disguise.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
PhoenixFire said:
I have faced 83mph in the Yorkshire League a few times, and I can handle it very average. A block and a leg glance are pretty much the only things that I could do to anything over 80 mph, and under 86. Anything above 86, I couldn't play at all to be honest.

I'm very interested to find out more about the bloke who said he had faced 90mph before, because unless he is a county player playing against an overseas fast bowler, ie Bond, Lee, Akhtar, Sami; or playing against Harmison or Mahmood in County level, he must be lying, or being an international pro in disguise.
He could be, cause how many of us will actually believe, lets say Ponting, if he was on CW. Like if I said I was Tendulkar, you guys wouldn't believe me. Okay but TBH I am Tendy!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Fair point. He might be Tendulkar because he commented that he was rather small. But how would The Little Master 2.0 make time to post here?

open365

International Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:

Not so, there are plenty of quick bowlers who play in club cricket in their offseason.

Sami was playing in my clubs leauge 2 years ago, and Allan Donald spent some time in the Lancashire leagues.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
PhoenixFire said:
Fair point. He might be Tendulkar because he commented that he was rather small. But how would The Little Master 2.0 make time to post here?
He's got an 11 day break!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Fair point, but I doubt any club player could handle 90mph pace with any real success. Maybe some top players in the Yorkshire/South Australian league, but I doubt any average player would have any hope of it really.

open365

International Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:
Fair point, but I doubt any club player could handle 90mph pace with any real success. Maybe some top players in the Yorkshire/South Australian league, but I doubt any average player would have any hope of it really.
Mmmmm...

I thought that a few seasons ago when i heard sami joined the leagues, i thought he'd have an average of 6 orsomething stupid, but he ended up with 25 @22 i think, a good return but not what i was expecting.

But think about it, there are a lot of first team players who have been heavily involved in the county age group set ups for a lot of their life, there are a lot of quality players in first team cricket.

Think about, tail enders at international level can handle 90+(look at Simon Jones in the ashes) and most first team batsmen are better than Simon Jones so why wouldn't they be able to handle it?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
open365 said:
Mmmmm...

I thought that a few seasons ago when i heard sami joined the leagues, i thought he'd have an average of 6 orsomething stupid, but he ended up with 25 @22 i think, a good return but not what i was expecting.

But think about it, there are a lot of first team players who have been heavily involved in the county age group set ups for a lot of their life, there are a lot of quality players in first team cricket.

Think about, tail enders at international level can handle 90+(look at Simon Jones in the ashes) and most first team batsmen are better than Simon Jones so why wouldn't they be able to handle it?
That's right. Even the McGraths in this world get on bowling machines and crank it up (different I know). Look how well Lee and Warne handled it last Ashes series.

I think it's a reaction-training thing. If you play at a level where the average is about 77-80 mph, then you go into a league where you regularly face blokes at 80-85, you get used to it (doesn't mean you enjoy it of course).

Imo, I'd like to face either Lee or Bond, not Akthar sans juice. I just reckon his slinging action would be even harder to pick up than the other, and I'd need every advantage I could get!

R_D

International Debutant
I think i'll take on the best bowler out of the lot.
Bond..
Lee and Akhtar look like they are otu their to murder the batsman most of the time :p