• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the greatest part time bowler of all-time?

shortpitched713

International Captain
If we're defining the "greatest" ideal part timer as someone who bowled rather infrequently, but was much more effective than such a rarity of bowling would indicate, then I would have to go later 2/3 of career Steve Waugh (1st 1/3 I guess he would be called a batting all-rounder).

If you were South African or English, seeing him warm up made you genuinely afraid. That's not something that many or any other part timers I can think of can boast.

Majestic

U19 Debutant
you cant call someone a part timer just because they’re bad though as that would disqualify so many players picked on their bowling, it has to be based on how they’re used and what their role is. England have used him close to a 2nd or 3rd spinner often over the last few years and that doesnt scream part timer to me

respect your view if you see it differently though since the definition of a part timer is really nebulous and varies from person to person
That's an interesting assessment. There are some part time bowlers who don't bowl much but seemed like very capable 5th bowling option ( probably just a shade below A/Rs). But if they would have actually been used regularly, we might have come to a conclusion that they were actually not as good as we thought and after a certain level, their limitations get noticed.

That's exactly what has happened with Joe Root. He really seemed as a very very good part timer but with Stokes not bowling and since they want to use Root as 5th bowler regularly ,the limitation is more clearly visible now.

shortpitched713

International Captain
He is below an AR for me
If that's your criteria, you're going to get a lot of "batting ARs in disguise" types. I mentioned 2/3 or Steve Waugh's career because that's the part in which he was a purely "optional" bowler for Aus. I don't think Hooper's bowling really was "optional", especially on away tracks tough for pace.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Doug Walters surely takes the cake here. In a 74 Test career he only bowled 10+ overs in an innings 14 times and averaged sub 30 despite playing a decent proportion of his career in a high scoring era.

MartinB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Seamer - Steve Waugh and Carl Hooper
Carl Hooper bowled Spin.

Doug Walters would be one of the best part time seamers.
Greg Chappell was also very useful for keep the runs down his economy rate (2.15) is better than McGraths.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Bobby Simpson, Carl Hooper, Joe Root all in with a shout, but for me it's Hammond.

Think these guys are just invaluable to a team for flexibility and utility. Added to that, Root aside, all were unsurpassable slip fielders.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Phillips is currently averaging 17.47 with the ball with a 5-fer and a 4-fer, but might already be considered an allrounder.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
I think the problem here, what even is a part timer? Was Wally Hammond a part timer? If not, do Steve Waugh qualify?? The problem is, the moment you became a certain degree of good with the ball; you become an all-rounder. Anyways, the 3 I will pick, as the men with golden arm who could give you an important break thorough when your frontliners can't:
Virendra Sehwag
Doug Walters
Ken Barrington