• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the Best Test Bowler out of These 4?

Who is the best?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You see, I've seen too many examples of batsmen having no difficulty playing the sort of bowling Harmison dished-out in early-2004 to believe it's something that can be a reliable wicket-taking option. For such bowling to take wickets is completely dependent on batsman error. However, the sort of stuff Anderson (or any form of good swing-bowler) can bowl at his best (rare though that best is) is simply un-combat-able. You have to accept as a batsman that the bowler has been too good if you're done by that. And you have to accept as a viewer that the batsman had no realistic chance.

Against Harmison-circa-early-2004 stuff, there's always a way out if you're good enough. West Indies and New Zealand weren't. West Indies (later), South Africa, Australia, etc. were.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Hoggard, I went for. The most consistent and reliable of the four, by a distance. Can win a match on his day, too.

All of the others have their upsides, and in a few years Broad could be top of the list by a distance, but for now, I'd still take good old Hoggy over any of 'em.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hoggard, I went for. The most consistent and reliable of the four, by a distance. Can win a match on his day, too.
I agree. His 7-63 at Christchurch in 2001/2 was one of the best displays of swing bowling I've ever seen. I seem to remember that Richard Hadlee said the same thing.

Just to return to Broad for a moment - I agree with some of the views here about him being currently over-rated. Also I've no idea what he thinks he's doing with his left arm in his delivery stride. But all that said, the one thing which he's really improved this season is his pace. He can get up to around 88mph and I believe that against NZ he hit the 90mph mark. Which isn't bad by any means. What I think he needs to work on is trying to extract more bounce and lateral movement.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
I went for Hoggard on overall carrer performances both in terms of taking wickets and you know watching him bowl. James Anderson for mine would be second as frustrating as he can be and it depends which Anderson turns up. For a couple of Tests he can be world class and bowl some rip snorting delieveries and the next Test he is the English version of Brad Williams.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree. His 7-63 at Christchurch in 2001/2 was one of the best displays of swing bowling I've ever seen. I seem to remember that Richard Hadlee said the same thing.
Yeah 'twas an incredible spell. What made it even more incredible was the second-innings when Astle collared him. Akin to Botham of Lord's '84.

Hoggard's second-innings spell at The Wanderers in 2004/05, of course, was probably even better than said Christchurch spell, and certainly more significant.
Just to return to Broad for a moment - I agree with some of the views here about him being currently over-rated. Also I've no idea what he thinks he's doing with his left arm in his delivery stride. But all that said, the one thing which he's really improved this season is his pace. He can get up to around 88mph and I believe that against NZ he hit the 90mph mark. Which isn't bad by any means. What I think he needs to work on is trying to extract more bounce and lateral movement.
TBF to him he has begun to bowl outswingers this season, which is certainly a step in the right direction.

To date, though, it hasn't really improved his penetration, so really we can only say he's not doing it enough.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If the question is "who has had the most meaningful test career thus far" it'd be Hoggard, but as cricket isn't played in a vacuum currently I'd take Anderson as the most likely to perform.

Hoggy didn't quite scale the heights like Harmison did (although he got pretty bloody close on occasions) but equally he didn't plumb the depths either. Suspect Harmison the more likely to be recalled now in all honesty as, from what I've read, the perception is that Hoggard has lost a bit of nip.
Although it wont affect the bowling attack in the near future if ths is true. I would hope Hoggard hasn't lost anything just yet TBH. Will be forced now to actually following up the county circuit hearing this news..