• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is a better cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar or M.S. Dhoni?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
it corresponds with teams taking limited overs cricket a lot more seriously than they used to. The World Cup has grown in stature with each year, and stuff like the Champions Trophy and World T20 really seem to get the players and fans going as well. It didn't use to be like this. Teams and players would save their best for Tests. But now these global limited overs tournaments are just as prestigious, if not more. So it makes sense they get weighed a lot higher, and is why a guy like MSD gets rated so highly while someone like Amla has question marks over his limited overs record just for going missing in big tournaments (whilst being incredible in JAM ODIs)

Also you're just really really old.
I reckon that's just wrong

cnerd123

likes this
You guys know I wasn't talking about the popularity of JAMODIs right.

Because if so, I don't see how you think the big events (World Cup and Champions Trophy) have dwindled in popularity at all. Like, what metric are you using to show that. The 2015 WC was the most watched world cup ever. It was broadcast in 200 territories , which is probably a record of some sort, and even had the highest amount of prize money ever given out. The Champions Trophy final between India and Pak this year probably broke all sorts of records too, heck the match thread even broke the forum.

You guys personally may not care as much as you did in the 90s or 00s, but that doesn't mean these big ODI events have become less prestigious. I can't be ****ed going around looking for quotes from players saying how meaningful these tournaments are for them (they're basically paid to say that anyways so it's not like it's very relevant) but I'm not wrong about this.

Plus Burgey is pretty old.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Apples and Oranges, Sachin kept Indian team competitive at a time when the rest of the team was at minnow level. Dhoni got India a world cup. That said, Dhoni also got India a 0-8 in Eng/Aus, so Sachin for me.

(I know I am grossly oversimplifying, but going into the details is pointless, you can give neat arguments for whoever you wish.)
Tendulkar is a far better cricketer than Dhoni, and apples are better than oranges.

Howe_zat

Audio File
You started this

WG Grapes
Charles Bananaman
Don Bradmango
Orangitsinhji
Plum Warner
Prunako Morton
Adam Pearore
Ashantha De Melon
Bob Appleyard
Papaya Ntini
Pommie Mbanguava

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sachin obviously. Fanatic Dhoni fans grind my gears. Dhoni was an average test cricketer and that means I have never been too enthused about him.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apples and Oranges, Sachin kept Indian team competitive at a time when the rest of the team was at minnow level. Dhoni got India a world cup. That said, Dhoni also got India a 0-8 in Eng/Aus, so Sachin for me.

(I know I am grossly oversimplifying, but going into the details is pointless, you can give neat arguments for whoever you wish.)
Doesn't the first argument really apply more to Lara. Feel like Sachin had plenty of support the bulk of his career

Azharuddin, Kapil and Kambli at the start then Dravid, VVS, Ganguly and Sehwag.

Maybe a small window around the 96 WC he played the Lara/Andy Flower role but it's not how I view Sachin

srbhkshk

International Captain
Doesn't the first argument really apply more to Lara. Feel like Sachin had plenty of support the bulk of his career

Azharuddin, Kapil and Kambli at the start then Dravid, VVS, Ganguly and Sehwag.

Maybe a small window around the 96 WC he played the Lara/Andy Flower role but it's not how I view Sachin
Once Dravid and Ganguly came along it was fine, before that the general feeling in India was that the status of match basically depended on whether or not Sachin was batting out there. Lara was the same for most of his career, I agree.