• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think will be a better bet as a test allrounder in future?

open365

International Vice-Captain
aussie said:
word, his technique againts both spin & pace looks very good to become a top order player in the future, he may become another Kallis...
good point,

until he gets promoted to 4,5 or 6, i don't reckon we'll see the best of him.

hes more of a pual collingowood than an andrew flintoff.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
jamesryfler said:
His ODI batting average isn't too far off from Micahel Vaughan's. :p
But Vaughan is terrible, and most English supporters would have had him out of the ODI team ages ago. :huh:

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But Vaughan is terrible, and most English supporters would have had him out of the ODI team ages ago. :huh:

I think it was meant as a joke West Indian 8-) ................sigh.

Mr Mxyzptlk

EnglishRose said:
Well if you couldn't see the point of the original; post.....then what can I say.
Do you know what sarcasm is? But fine... I was blind... I'm sorry.

Still, is my being West Indian supposed to be an insult? Does it make me less of a human being, human?

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Do you know what sarcasm is? But fine... I was blind... I'm sorry.

Still, is my being West Indian supposed to be an insult? Does it make me less of a human being, human?

For the record, I didn't mean it as an insult - happy now.
Why do keep reading between the lines for everything ?

Mr Mxyzptlk

EnglishRose said:
"And why does my heritage come into this?"

"Well if you couldn't see the point of the original; post.....then what can I say."

What else am I to assume? But whatever. Group hug and whatnot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
EnglishRose said:
Why bother even using the words in the post then?

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
Why bother even using the words in the post then?

Cause I felt like it Marc......and as was indicated before, It wasn't meant as an insult and there was no offence taken.
Stop being a nitpicker.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
i believe that the allrounders of the future maybe some the current players of 2day such as daniel vettori as his batting is showing some improvement, yuvraj singh, michael clarke, jacques rudolph, chiminda vaas, ramnersh sarwan. those players have the ability in the other side of there game its just matter of time before it becomes exposed

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Neil Pickup said:
Don't allrounders have to be able to bat?
Whilst Pathan is far from a genuine allrounder yet, he most certainly can bat, as many people who saw Pathan from the VB Series onwards have tried to point out. Those replies that he cannot bat simply because he isn't as precious as England's Flintoff look mighty stupid now. Gee I'd like to dig many of them up, but I'll just settle with this one. :)

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/NEW/LIVE/frames/SL_IND_T2_10-14DEC2005.html

And his spell of bowling was lovely as well. He's obviously got a long way to go, with the bat and ball in his career, and that's the exciting bit for Indian cricket.
chaminda_00 said:
and be able to take wickets against most teams, not only Bangla and Zimbabwe
He certainly didn't mind scalping a few SL wickets. :D

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I must say I've been impressed by Pathan's batting recently, and his bowling too

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Whilst Pathan is far from a genuine allrounder yet, he most certainly can bat, as many people who saw Pathan from the VB Series onwards have tried to point out. Those replies that he cannot bat simply because he isn't as precious as England's Flintoff look mighty stupid now. Gee I'd like to dig many of them up, but I'll just settle with this one. :)

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/NEW/LIVE/frames/SL_IND_T2_10-14DEC2005.html

And his spell of bowling was lovely as well. He's obviously got a long way to go, with the bat and ball in his career, and that's the exciting bit for Indian cricket.

He certainly didn't mind scalping a few SL wickets. :D
I have never got into this debate about how good an all rounder Irfan will be , if he will be one.

I think looking into the future is fine but getting into a passionate argument about it is futile.

From the time I saw him play in Junior cricket, I have felt he has more potential as a batsman than as a bowler. That surely makes him a potential all rounder since he already has 70 wickets.

We should watch with excitement and bated breath and hope he fulfills the promise he has shown in abundance. Of course, as an Indian I would love him to be a great allrounder but that alone isnt going to make him one. Similarly, just because an Indian fan is going overboard in praising him to the skies, we need not deny this fine cricketer his due.

Let him be.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SJS said:
Similarly, just because an Indian fan is going overboard in praising him to the skies, we need not deny this fine cricketer his due.
That's pretty much the point. Just because a few posters have exaggerated Pathan's abilities, doesn't mean his obvious ability with the bat should be denied or laughed at when mentioned. I believe though that after his performances in the past couple of months, those comments will become fewer and fewer from the usual suspects. :)

R_D

International Debutant
awesome innings by Pathan yesterday :)

Lets hope he takes few wickets to back his strong batting performance.
Day by day he's starting to look like the all-rounder India have been searching for a long time :p