• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who cares about a strong West Indies?

BlazeDragon

Banned
Chris Gayle not playing in the India and Pakistan series has only hurt them. I think they could have won those series if he had played.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I recently heard a spokesperson for the ECB explain how it was important for the game that cricket is strong in the Caribbean and was shocked at how the ECB actually pledge some sort of funding to the WICB in order to pull their cricket out of the situation it finds itself in. This is connected with the Stanford debacle and the T20's that England are inclined to play against the West Indies late this summer, which probably is no fault of either board but has to happen even though nobody wants them to.

Am I the only one who has a problem with the attitude that we need a strong West Indies team? The West Indies have gone from worldbeaters to a joke team in the space of twenty years, I see apathy in the Caribbean towards the game (from personal experience of a few visits). I see about five spectators when the world's number one team are playing test cricket, not to mention complete apathy of the likes of Chris Gayle and Keiron Pollard towards representing their team in a test match. (Before everyone springs to Gayle's defence, remember when he rocked up in England about a day and a half before the start of a test series?)

I don't want to see my ticket money go towards helping the game in the West Indies (if ECB money has to go abroad, why not to a more deserving board?). Look at the enthusiasm for cricket in Afghanistan for example. and how we are letting cricket go to waste in potentially strong countries like the Netherlands and Ireland.. It's not like Garner, Marshall and Holding slowed down a bit to give the rest of the world a chance during the West Indies' dominance in the 70's and 80's, so why should the rest of the world not revel in beating them now?
You're not all alone, buddy. Some people are just resistant to change. That's the way it seems to be.