• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the biggest chokers in World Sport?

Who are the biggest chokers in world sport?

• All Blacks

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • South Africa cricket team

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • England cricket team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England football team

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other (Greg Norman, etc.)

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Collingwood Football Club if we're talking throughout history. They've done it consistently for over a hundred years.
Hull FC have a fine historical record of losing finals. 1 Super League grand final, 0 wins. 13 Challenge Cup finals (+ 2 replays), 3 wins (including 1 replay). 5 Premiership finals, 1 win. 18 Yorkshire Cup finals (+ 1 replay), 5 wins.

Reckon Newcastle United would have had a shot at this back in the 90s. Blew a 12 point lead in the Premiership in 96. Splashed £15 million on the most prolific goalscorer in the league for the next season and still only finished 2nd. The two FA cup finals in the next two years, both lost (against far superior opposition, albeit).

Craig

World Traveller
Can Cronulla count? Been around for 40 years and haven't won anything.

I guess the reason why the Spanish football team would be linked to the fact a lot of the regions don't consider themself Spanish, one way not to make local friends in San Sebastian or Bilbao is to call them Spanish, when they are Basque and Spanish second, same in Cataluyna, Carles Puyol will probably (I say that because I've never met him obviously) tell you he is Catalan instead of Spanish. The same would probably be true in Galicia (far north-west, above Portugal) . Also if you include the history of Franco when he ruled with an iron fist and the civil war before that.

Brazil '98 should also be included as well.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha. Yeah, that's right. Forgot about that. Cancel my Parramatta argument.
No mate, as an Eels fan I think we can certainly be claimed as "chokers" in the Brian Smith era. That GF loss was against a team we had beaten 40-0 a few weeks earlier and we'd broken just about every record there was to break that year. Two seasons earlier in 1999 we'd lost to Melbourne in the Preliminary Final after leading well at half time.

The year before that, however, in 1998, was the most galling of all - we led the Doggies 18-2 in the preliminary final with 10 minutes to go...and lost.

For all that though, and I hate to say it, I think Greg Norman must sadly be at or near the top of the choking pile. How he hasn't won more than 2 majors I'll never know.

pasag

RTDAS
Seriously though, Collingwood Football Club - has lost 25 Grand Finals in 110 years of AFL history, I'm not just doing this to wind up Matt, although that's the main reason itbt, but they're not called the Collywobbles without good reason.

GFs lost:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Seriously though, Collingwood Football Club - has lost 25 Grand Finals in 110 years of AFL history, I'm not just doing this to wind up Matt, although that's the main reason itbt, but they're not called the Collywobbles without good reason.
Still got nothing on the Bears, atleast the won some titles during their 100 odd years.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
do one Salamuddin, we wouldn't have won the WC in 94, but we certainly should have qualified.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And I'm going for the All-Blacks here because they've been so dominant between WCs but have failed when it's come to the crunch.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
The year before that, however, in 1998, was the most galling of all - we led the Doggies 18-2 in the preliminary final with 10 minutes to go...and lost..
oh yes i remember that game....was rod silva a certain fullback for the dogs at the time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If we're talking domestic chokes, the whites in 94-95 takes some beating. Went top with five games to go, needing 9pts to win the league and gain promotion. Our sequence of results went as follows:

0-5
1-5
0-2
1-1
1-1

Going into the last game, we actually needed a point to confirm our play-off spot. Dire.

sideshowtim

Banned
oh leave the bears alone! :blink: :sleep: :happy:
Here here! Old Bears fans unite!

All of my memories of footy as a kid are sitting in the beautiful North Sydney Oval (best ground in Australia) watching Flo tear them up, JT slotting them from everywhere, and Matt Sears dropping the easiest of bombs!