• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which statistics did you value most in cricket as a kid? And which ones now?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I've basically been all about the averages, as that is simply the strongest statistic for telling you roughly how good a player is. Started caring less about it when I realised how much variability there was in cricket (i.e. I learned more about statistics) and then started using my eye more.

I don't see eyes and spreadsheets as being opposing however, to me they complement each other and both are capable of shedding insight.

Strike rate started mattering to me in ODIs when I heard Glenn Turner point out that if neither team is bowled out, the highest strike rate wins. Now SR is as important to me as average in ODIs.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
These days.

I like to add average and strike rate, then divide by bat width (in inches) squared X boundary average radius (in metres). Minus mandatory players in circle average per n overs.

By this calculation I tend to find Astle always pips Guptill as an ODI bat.

(Ave + SR) / (bat x radius) - ((11 - y)/n)

Athlai

Not Terrible
These days.

I like to add average and strike rate, then divide by bat width (in inches) squared X boundary average radius (in metres). Minus mandatory players in circle average per n overs.

By this calculation I tend to find Astle always pips Guptill as an ODI bat.

(Ave + SR) / (bat x radius) - ((11 - y)/n)
I think your calculations overlooked that Eden Parks boundaries are longer now. #Edenparksobig #Guptill>Astle