• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which side’s performance in WC is/was more impressive?

Side having better WC

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wanna say Zim 99 but I really really rated that side even before the WC. And it was also the end of an era there. But with Afg here, it seems like it might be the beginning of one. So gng with our Afghan bros on this one.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kenya deserve a mention for their semi-final run in 2003 too, even if they were helped by forfeits etc in the early stages.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Any other weaker side - India in 1983
India was an established Test nation by then and had already won Test series against every Test side.
We drew a Test series in Aus against full strength Aussie side consisting of Chappell, Lillee etc just 2 year ago . So absolutely incorrect example

ma1978

State Captain
The 83 India team was actually very good - some solid pedigree batsmen, ability to bad very deep, the right bowlers for those conditions, Kapil, it was an upset and shocking given India’s LO history but it wasn’t exactly a fluke. They were a top four side by the talents.

Zim 99 wasn’t really a fluke either. That team had established international stars and a proven track record.

afghanistan hadbarely ever won against major test nations and their approach is so calm and well organised that some of these wins feel inevtaible. So I’m voting them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Afghanistan can't even play games at home and are basically in permanent exile. I haven't checked in a while but as of quite recently a large chunk of their cricketers learned the game in refugee camps. The idea that there's any contest in the hardship stakes between them and 99 Zimbabwe, Bangladesh 2003 or especially India basically ever doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
India was an established Test nation by then and had already won Test series against every Test side.
We drew a Test series in Aus against full strength Aussie side consisting of Chappell, Lillee etc just 2 year ago . So absolutely incorrect example
Ok changed my vote. I was being facetious anyway

Flem274*

123/5
Based on the qualifiers I thought Afghanistan and the Netherlands might trip someone over once each.

This has been reasonably consistent dishing out of the pain between the pair of them though. Only one slaughter comes to mind, and it's not like the top 8 don't dish those out to each other on occasion.

Teja.

Global Moderator
The 83 India team was actually very good - some solid pedigree batsmen, ability to bad very deep, the right bowlers for those conditions, Kapil, it was an upset and shocking given India’s LO history but it wasn’t exactly a fluke. They were a top four side by the talents.

Zim 99 wasn’t really a fluke either. That team had established international stars and a proven track record.

afghanistan hadbarely ever won against major test nations and their approach is so calm and well organised that some of these wins feel inevtaible. So I’m voting them.
India at that point had only won 1 WC game in the last 2 world cups (against East Africa in 1975) and had a 12-28 record in ODIs so far.

India were 66-1 underdogs to win the world cup in 1983 which is better than Bangladesh: 100/1 (101.0), Afghanistan: 125/1 (126.0) and Netherlands: 1000/1 (1001.0) this year but much worse than the other teams.

To put it in perspective, Sri Lanka who don't seem to have a strong world cup side this year are 45/1.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Zimbabwe in '99

Had a crazy impressive group stage, brought the maximum amount of points into the super 6, and despite somehow missing out on the semi finals from there they didn't exactly collapse into a heap, had a washout vs NZ and a pretty strong performance against white hot Australia (the Neil Johnson game)

They were certainly considered a bit stronger pre WC then Afghanistan were for this one, but still I'd say a solid 9th in the pecking order of a very strong era for cricket and I don't think anyone expected them to get out of their pretty tough group