• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which nation has the dodgiest umpires?

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
As a cricket fan since the late 1970's, I witnessed many a series where the umpires where both from the home country

I read few a cricket books where players slated the umps from India & Pakistan, but since we hardly got any TV coverage of those games its hard to comment

I can comment on the rest though and I would have to say the AUSTRALIAN umpires were definetly the worst. Hair called Muli and for that I respect him, but apart from that him and the rest of the Aussie umps used to just downright cheats. (Im talking about the days were Australia were far from No 1.)

Getting someone like Chappell or Border out LBW was just damn near impossible! :@

Im not saying NZ were faultless...as I firmly believe the WI were absolutley robbed when we beat them at Home in 1981

Best and fairest umpires ever = England

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given the nature of some of the members on here, this thread could get ugly at some point. This is a warning to all the troublemakers. Eyes on you.

Proceed.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Gee, you do look like you enjoy controversial threads, eh? :)

I don't think I can single out a particular nation in this day and age, where the umpires are strictly regulated and very professional, although I can believe that maybe in the '70s there might have been a few shady characters.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
LOL

Im not trying to cause trouble, just looking for some intelligent debate

I even admit NZ aint faultless and England is the best!

I reckon EVERY other country knows what its like to be consistantly robbed by the Aussie umps, particulary in their tri nations ODI series

peace

:sleep:

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bring them on, any fan who has watched knows what i speak of is the truth

Apologies for the Muli thread, just had to have my say on something I feel very passionate about, I dont like cheats ruining my beautiful game

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
1. Australia
2. Sri Lanka
3. Pakistan
4. India

I had once heard of a stat of how the lbw decisions for a home country and away country had the most bias in Australia. Some of the umpiring there pre neutral umpires was shocking in tests. Langer not given out for that clear inside edge in the partnership he shared with Gilchrist!

Sri Lanka is just plain crap .. K.T.Francis any one :D

Pakistan have been bias earlier on but with guys like Aleem Dar, the standard appears to have improved.

Barring Venkat, India has never managed quality umpires.

England are funny in the sense their umpires seem to give decisions in favour of the opposition team rather than neutral or the home teams!

bestfriendh

Cricket Spectator
hi

dodgiest umpires u say ehh??? well i will juss say this england upmires r the most efficient and respected but a few very promising young uns can be seen lately from other countries too.......saleem dur.......bowden....... :D 8-)

Scallywag

Banned
The most critizised umps at the moment appear to be Bucknor and Sheperd and the most respected appear to be Taufel and Bowden.

But they all make mistakes its just when and where that seems to be important.

Alim Dar seems to be another ump subjected to poor sportsmanship.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Scallywag said:
Alim Dar seems to be another ump subjected to poor sportsmanship.
WORD

Dar is a plonker

Bucknor used to be brilliant but I suspect his eyes are failing him, he wont be around for long

Ian Robinson from Zimbabwe cost NZ a series vs Australia (against all odds) IMO too

Ive met Billy Bowden quite a few times, hes a clown but he actually suprises me by being a pretty good umpire

Scallywag

Banned
I think it will get harder and harder for the ICC to replace the umpires as they retire.

Think about it would you want to umpire today knowing whatever you do right or wrong there will be one set of fans who want to blame you for their teams failure to win. Vaughan has come out and critizised the umpires in the press during a game and I suspect it will lead to further outbursts from cricketers. Players, comentators, coaches and fans make mistakes but they all expect the umpire to be infaliable.

Probably the most sensible thing I have heard is the umpiring can only match the standard of the game, that said it would seem reasonable to expect the highest standard of umpiring when Australia are playing and as Australian umpires dont umpire Australia they are stuck with the lower standard of cricket and thus the lower standard of umpiring.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Scallywag said:
I think it will get harder and harder for the ICC to replace the umpires as they retire.

Think about it would you want to umpire today knowing whatever you do right or wrong there will be one set of fans who want to blame you for their teams failure to win. Vaughan has come out and critizised the umpires in the press during a game and I suspect it will lead to further outbursts from cricketers. Players, comentators, coaches and fans make mistakes but they all expect the umpire to be infaliable.

Probably the most sensible thing I have heard is the umpiring can only match the standard of the game, that said it would seem reasonable to expect the highest standard of umpiring when Australia are playing and as Australian umpires dont umpire Australia they are stuck with the lower standard of cricket and thus the lower standard of umpiring.

are you saying that only Autralian umpires are at higher standards ???

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
nookie_lk said:
I for one am relieved I dont have to see more of guys like Peter Parker and that umpire from the past who was charged for child molesting. Most of the Australian umpires I have seen have been poorer than the avg world standards.

Scallywag

Banned
nookie_lk said:
No what I am saying is you cant expect to have quality umpires when they have to umpire on poorly prepared pitches and/or when players completely disregard their own duty to respect the umpires decision. (Deness (spel)ring any bells, Vaughan critizising the ump publicly during a game) There are many players that have refused to accept the umps decision even when they are wrong themselves but they just expect the ump to wear it. Everyone needs to step back and look at how professional they are in their approach to the game before they start to question the umpires.

Scallywag

Banned
nookie_lk said:
In addition to what I have said my main point was that the Australian players show more respect to the umpires and have a more professional approach to the game and the way they treat the umpire.

And to save everyone telling me I'm wrong and bringing up every little thing for the last ten years I allready know what you think of me and I dont care that you want to tell me I'm wrong.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this thread is deliberately intended to be mischievous by trying to point fingers at one nation over another !!

The best current Umpires without doubt are Simon Taufel (Australia) and Billy Bowden (New Zealand). Next best Umpire in several people's opinion is Rudi Koertzen(South Africa) and Aleem Dar(Pakistan) .

Once good umpires like David Shepherd (England) and Steve Buchnor (West Indies) have dropped in terms of their standard of umpiring and shockers they have given lately !!

I think its not correct to point at any country in particular.

Having said this, SriLanka had for a long shocking umpires like KT Francis.

Asoka De Silva made some bad decisions and was largely hounded out while others from countries such as Australia (Like Harper, Hair) are not given the same treatment but rather treated preferentially and the media tends to ignore their mistakes as does the ICC !!

Sri Lankan umps have not been given the opportunity to reach the highest standard required because they have not been exposed to that level of Cricket . I think the ICC needs to try and get umps from all countries trained in County Cricket and in VB series in Australia and Sheffield shield to make them reach a higher level of expertise required for Test and Intenational ODIs, instead of trying to make the elite panel an exclusivity of some countries only,while other countries merely interchange among themselves. :D :D

Before the neutral umps came into being all subcontinental umpires were pretty bad (Indian and Pakistan along with SL). So home wins during these times must be looked upon with considerable degree of skepticism. But then even Australia, NZ and others during this time also had some bad umps.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scallywag said:
In addition to what I have said my main point was that the Australian players show more respect to the umpires and have a more professional approach to the game and the way they treat the umpire.
Almost laughable when you see how Slater behaved with Venkat.

I dont care that you want to tell me I'm wrong.
Shows arrogance..

Scallywag

Banned
Pratyush said:
Almost laughable when you see how Slater behaved with Venkat.

Shows arrogance..
You can call me arrogant if you like but we are discussing umpires not me and you allways take the path of discussing me .

Scallywag

Banned
JASONOnce good umpires like David Shepherd (England) and Steve Buchnor (West Indies) have dropped in terms of their standard of umpiring and shockers they have given lately !! I think its not correct to point at any country in particular. .[/QUOTE said:
The more that comentators and fans publicly critizise these umpires the less and less they are prepared to back themselves and start to lose confidence.

Its a bit like coaching players, you dont continually critizise them for mistakes but you encourage them.