• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which factors matter most when judging bats to you?

subshakerz

International Coach
What would be your priority for the below factors in qualitatively ranking ATG/ATVG bats?

- Mega series

- Impact/big daddy knocks

- Overall batting average when beyond the 50 mark

- Strikerate

- All-round record across countries

- Home/Away split

- Peer rating during career

- ICC ranking during career

- Great record in difficult conditions

- Great record against higher quality bowling

- Consistency during career

- Attractive batting style

capt_Luffy

International Vice-Captain
In order:
Consistency during career
Great record in difficult conditions
Great record against higher quality bowling
All round record accross countries
Batting position (mostly for openers)
Impactful knocks
Home/Away Split
Peer rating during career (much more important for older players than newer ones)
Overall batting average when beyond the 50 mark
Strike rate
Mega Series
Attractive batting
Big daddy knocks
ICC rating during career

ataraxia

International Coach
What would be your priority for the below factors in qualitatively ranking ATG/ATVG bats?

- Mega series

- Strikerate

- Home/Away split

"Frequency of being run out by one's partner" would have an above average position on this list.

subshakerz

International Coach
In order:
Consistency during career
Great record in difficult conditions
Great record against higher quality bowling
All round record accross countries
Batting position (mostly for openers)
Impactful knocks
Home/Away Split
Peer rating during career (much more important for older players than newer ones)
Overall batting average when beyond the 50 mark
Strike rate
Mega Series
Attractive batting
Big daddy knocks
ICC rating during career
Thanks. Why is quality bowling less than conditions though?

Consistency is quite high for you, does that mean cricketers with great peaks and then troughs arent as highly rated?

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant

- Mega series

- Strikerate

- Home/Away split

For me the 3 most important are: record across conditions, record against high quality bowling, and record in tough conditions. The 2 least important are: attractive batting style are ICC ranking.

capt_Luffy

International Vice-Captain
Thanks. Why is quality bowling less than conditions though?

Consistency is quite high for you, does that mean cricketers with great peaks and then troughs arent as highly rated?
I think both are around equal really, but conditions probably a bit more important. In a flat road like nowadays Pakistan, you would expect a capable batting unit to score close to 350 even against a near ATG bowling attack; but in a damaged pitch spinning everywhere, most capable teams will struggle to get to 200 even against an attack of ordinary spinners. Kinda extreme example, but that's the gist of it.
No, that's probably the biggest reason I don't rate Viv as highly as most does. A great peak definitely gets high bonus points, but I prefer consistent runs over rainstorm and drought.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think both are around equal really, but conditions probably a bit more important. In a flat road like nowadays Pakistan, you would expect a capable batting unit to score close to 350 even against a near ATG bowling attack; but in a damaged pitch spinning everywhere, most capable teams will struggle to get to 200 even against an attack of ordinary spinners. Kinda extreme example, but that's the gist of it.
No, that's probably the biggest reason I don't rate Viv as highly as most does. A great peak definitely gets high bonus points, but I prefer consistent runs over rainstorm and drought.
But the pitches in general in Viv's era weren't roads though.