• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which current players are/will be ATGs?

Kirkut

International Regular
Is Cummins an ATG? His home record is outstanding, but I don't think he's had many fantastic away series and his overall away numbers are just ehh.
Took 12 wicket in 3 tests @ 22.5 average in Pakistan.

Too good for a hit the deck seam bowler.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root has to be an ATG doesn't he? Only hole in his record is his profile in Australia, and unless he falls off a cliff he should end up with as many runs as Dravid/Ponting at a similar overall average despite playing more of his cricket in a harder batting era than the other two.
Dravid/Ponting were averaging 58-59 before their declines after 100+ tests. Root needs to have a good few years to maintain that average at a high enough level. Dravid/Ponting's era was significantly easier for sure, but what hurts Root's record is that he's never had an extended purple patch where he dominates for 4-5 years on the trot to pump up those numbers. I agree he's almost as good as them quality wise though.

Depends on how he ends his career really, if he declines, that record could take a beating. His average is sub 50 even now.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Dravid/Ponting were averaging 58-59 before their declines after 100+ tests. Root needs to have a good few years to maintain that average at a high enough level. Dravid/Ponting's era was significantly easier for sure, but what hurts Root's record is that he's never had an extended purple patch where he dominates for 4-5 years on the trot to pump up those numbers.

Depends on how he ends his career really, if he declines, that record could take a beating. His average is sub 50 even now.
Yea he’s in the tier below with like Inzamam and Chanderpaul.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea he’s in the tier below with like Inzamam and Chanderpaul.
Inzamam and Chanderpaul had serious flaws IMO. Innzy's poor running between wickets - I'd love to know how many run outs he was involved in and how many quick singles he missed. Chanderpaul batted too low in a pretty weak side. 73.9% of his innings were at # 5 or lower. This gave him an unusual number of not outs (17.5% of his knocks) for a top batsman.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid/Ponting were averaging 58-59 before their declines after 100+ tests. Root needs to have a good few years to maintain that average at a high enough level. Dravid/Ponting's era was significantly easier for sure, but what hurts Root's record is that he's never had an extended purple patch where he dominates for 4-5 years on the trot to pump up those numbers. I agree he's almost as good as them quality wise though.

There's not really a lot of debate about either dravid or ponting being ATG's is there? The closest thing i've seen to that on here is whether there in that "best since bradman" category along with lara and sachin or just ATG'S.