• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which current players are/will be ATGs?

Majestic

U19 Debutant
Active players that are ATGs :-

India - Virat Kohli
Australia - Steven Smith, Pat Cummins
England - Joe Root, James Anderson

Players whose ATG status is debatable and can change depending on their next 2-3 yrs :-

India - Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Jasprit Bumrah
South Africa - Kagiso Rabada
New Zealand - Kane Williamson

These names except Bumrah( who lacks longevity) are magnificent in home conditions but their away performance( especially alien conditions) puts their status debatable. Anderson has crossed this phase and moved in ATG league due to his sheet longevity of 700 test wickets( absolutely freakish stuff).

Outside these names, there are some ODI ATGs( Rohit Sharma, Mitchell Starc, Babar Azam) or country greats( Ben Stokes, Shakib Al Hasan, Nathan Lyon etc).

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Confirmed ATGs, might still be a change in tiers but would likely take something special
Tier 1: Smith
Tier 2: Kohli, Root, Kane
Tier 3: Anderson

Likely an ATG but harder to determine tiers just yet
Ashwin
Lyon

Expected to be ATG, needs more tests to confirm status and tier
Rabada
Jadeja
Pant
Bumrah

Think this covers most - if your definition of ATG is Tier 1 or Tier 1+2, then you have a more exclusive definition and some of the below also won’t make it
If it’s more broad and covers Tier 3, most if not all of the below will likely make it in some form

Flem274*

123/5
Some people are setting the bar pretty bloody high for the modern guys, especially batsmen in this era.

60 seems to be a bit of a cap across eras for people not called Bradman, but Kohli, Root and KW plus a few Tier 2 batsmen like Babar and Mathews would go to absolute pound town if they played in 2004.

It's an interesting chat on Bumrah since I'm not sure we'll get many more 3 format pace bowlers racking up big wicket tallies. That is already the case for the best ODI bowlers going around due to rotation, and it's starting to become standard across the sport. I think joining the 300 club is about the absolute most we can expect from now on, with Anderson, McGrath, Walsh etc being outliers forever. 250 @ 21 is going to become a pretty golden career (kinda is anyway tbh you take that if offered it).

number11

State 12th Man
Tier 1 means the player is a legitimate candidate for selection in an AT World Test xi. Only Smith comes close/meets that criteria.
T2 means great but not AT WXI candidate. There are obviously many more T2 ATGs.

I do not have a T3 category - below T2 is akin to a country great or era great.

Tier 1 means the player is a legitimate candidate for selection in an AT World Test xi. Only Smith comes close/meets that criteria.
T2 means great but not AT WXI candidate. There are obviously many more T2 ATGs.

I do not have a T3 category - below T2 is akin to a country great or era great.
Era great is better for T3 rather than country great. It is ofc lot harder to be country great for Aus, Wi than say for SL.

Slifer

International Captain
ATG definition for me:

With few exceptions, are players that have great records and are a sure in for their nation's ATG XI and on the short list for a World XI. Therefore for me, only Steve Smith for now fits that bill. Players like Anderson, Bumrah, Kohli, Kane, Ashwin likely make their teams ATG XI but nobody is considering them for an all time world XI. Players like Kohli, Kane, Root, Anderson are great just not ATG.

Bumrah I feel can join the ATG ranks with a few more tests.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ATG definition for me:

With few exceptions, are players that have great records and are a sure in for their nation's ATG XI and on the short list for a World XI. Therefore for me, only Steve Smith for now fits that bill. Players like Anderson, Bumrah, Kohli, Kane, Ashwin likely make their teams ATG XI but nobody is considering them for an all time world XI. Players like Kohli, Kane, Root, Anderson are great just not ATG.

Bumrah I feel can join the ATG ranks with a few more tests.
You are honestly being way too strict if you think ATG status can only be 11 players given there have been tens of thousands of international cricketers.

Slifer

International Captain
You are honestly being way too strict if you think ATG status can only be 11 players given there have been tens of thousands of international cricketers.
No no no it's not just XI players, it's players who are a sure in or near for their country's XI and on the short list for a World XI.

I'll start with the exceptions and the two that come to mind are Sutcliffe and O'Reilly. Neither are a sure in for their respective country's XI but they would be anywhere else. And neither looks out of place in a ATG XI.

And to illustrate my point better, let's use Eng, Aus and WI.

ATGs (imo):

WI : Viv, Lara, Headley, Sobers, Ambrose, Marshall

Eng: Hobbs, Hutton, Sutcliffe, Hammond,
Barrington (?), Trueman, Barnes, Knott

Aus: Bradman, G Chappell, Smith, Ponting, Lillee, McGrath, O'Reilly, Warne, Gilchrist

That's more than eleven players above but all are imo, atgs. They all are sure ins/nearly surely ins for their native XI and wouldn't look out of place in a world atg XI.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No no no it's not just XI players, it's players who are a sure in or near for their country's XI and on the short list for a World XI.

I'll start with the exceptions and the two that come to mind are Sutcliffe and O'Reilly. Neither are a sure in for their respective country's XI but they would be anywhere else. And neither looks out of place in a ATG XI.

And to illustrate my point better, let's use Eng, Aus and WI.

ATGs (imo):

WI : Viv, Lara, Headley, Sobers, Ambrose, Marshall

Eng: Hobbs, Hutton, Sutcliffe, Hammond,
Barrington (?), Trueman, Barnes, Knott

Aus: Bradman, G Chappell, Smith, Ponting, Lillee, McGrath, O'Reilly, Warne.

That's more than eleven players above but all are imo, atgs. They all are sure ins/nearly surely ins for their native XI and wouldn't look out of place in a world atg XI.
Yeah but 20 is not really that much better than 11.

Slifer

International Captain
Yeah but 20 is not really that much better than 11.
It's only 20 because I used 3 countries. They'd be more once we include the other teams.

India: Sachin, Sunny , Bumrah (in the future)
Pakistan: Imran, Wasim
SL: Murali
Etc.

What we're not going to do, is say every Tom, Dick and Harry is an atg because then that term loses it's meaning. Atg for me means the elite of the elite.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's only 20 because I used 3 countries. They'd be more once we include the other teams.

Etc.

What we're not going to do, is say every Tom, Dick and Harry is an atg because then that term loses it's meaning. Atg for me means the elite of the elite.
Sure, its upto you. I just felt its way too stringent given the number of years this game has been around and the evolution of various eras and the game itself overall. I think its a bit of a disservice to not recognize the ATGness of so many that would miss out by this criteria.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Etc.

Its sad, we don’t really have an ATG Tom, Dick or Harry :(