• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which country's All Time XI is the strongest?

Which All Time Xi is the best?

• Total voters

ataraxia

International Coach
Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton*
Hammond
Root
Barrington / Compton
Knott +
Rhodes
Trueman
Statham
Anderson

Don't like the lack of a 5th bowler but better than Botham getting massive nosebleeds at #6 imo. Stokes lacks the longevity for mine.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton*
Hammond
Root
Barrington / Compton
Knott +
Rhodes
Trueman
Statham
Anderson

Don't like the lack of a 5th bowler but better than Botham getting massive nosebleeds at #6 imo. Stokes lacks the longevity for mine.
I Generally Follow the Rule Employed by Richie Benaud for selecting a Team
(2-1-2-1-2-1-2) Rule
2 Openers
1 No3
2 Middle Order
1 Wicket Keeper
2 Allrounders
1 Spinner
2 Fast Bowlers
Better to Stick to position at which they used usually bat or bowl.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I Generally Follow the Rule Employed by Richie Benaud for selecting a Team
(2-1-2-1-2-1-2) Rule
2 Openers
1 No3
2 Middle Order
1 Wicket Keeper
2 Allrounders
1 Spinner
2 Fast Bowlers
Better to Stick to position at which they used usually bat or bowl.
Generally I agree. But of Englands top 4 bats (Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond, Hutton) 3 are openers. I believe the inclusion of all 3 openers is worth any sort of drop in production they might have due to the quality gap between them and the next candidates.

e.g If Hobbs, Tendulkar and Sobers were all openers would you really exclude one from an ATG XI to conform to their exact batting position? No

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
Generally I agree. But of Englands top 4 bats (Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond, Hutton) 3 are openers. I believe the inclusion of all 3 openers is worth any sort of drop in production they might have due to the quality gap between them and the next candidates.

e.g If Hobbs, Tendulkar and Sobers were all openers would you really exclude one from an ATG XI to conform to their exact batting position? No
yeah Justin Langer played at no3 untill Slater retired so sometimes we can go for the best players when there is no alternative

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This England XI probably is the best
1) Graham Gooch*
2) Alastair Cook
3) Wally Hammond
4) Kevin Pietersen
5) Joe Root
6) Ben Stokes
7) Ian Botham
8) Alan Knott+
9) Jim Laker
10) Fred Trueman
11) Jimmy Anderson
Pretty ordinary bowling attack for an all-time best England XI. Just Trueman ATG level, Anderson & Laker not far behind, and then Botham and Stokes.

I'd look at the likes of Barnes, Larwood or Willis.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty ordinary bowling attack for an all-time best England XI. Just Trueman ATG level, Anderson & Laker not far behind, and then Botham and Stokes.

Plus Snow and Bedser/Statham who seem very similar.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain

Hmm if you think players before WW1 and WW2 are better than Modern Day Greats then you can go for Barnes and Larwood.

CricketFan90s

U19 Vice-Captain
Plus Snow and Bedser/Statham who seem very similar.
Trueman was the best bowler of 50s and 60s, Laker was the best off spinner of England, Anderson is the best English Bowler in 2010s, Botham for a period of 1977-1987 was very lethal. Stokes is the fifth bowler. It’s not an ordinary attack.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Trueman was the best bowler of 50s and 60s, Laker was the best off spinner of England, Anderson is the best English Bowler in 2010s, Botham for a period of 1977-1987 was very lethal. Stokes is the fifth bowler. It’s not an ordinary attack.
Its ordinary compared to other teams e.g Australia, Windies, SA, Pakistan.

Kinda sad really considering how long they’ve been in cricket.

Slifer

International Captain
Australia All Time XI West Indies XI Pakistan XI
1) Langer 1) Greenidge 1) Anwar
2) Hayden 2) Haynes 2) Hanif
3) Bradman 3) Richards 3) Younis
4) Smith 4) Lara 4) Miandad
5) Waugh(c) 5) Lloyd(c) 5) Inzamam
6) Border 6) Sobers 6) Imran(c)
7) Gilchrist(wk) 7) Dujon(wk) 7) Sarfaraz(wk)
8) Warne 8) Marshall 8) Wasim
9) Lindwall 9) Holding 9) Qadir
10) Lillee 10) Ambrose 10) Waqar
11) McGrath 11) Gibbs 11) Asif
Umm Haynes and Lloyd should never be in a WI atg XI. With all due respect

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Umm Haynes and Lloyd should never be in a WI atg XI. With all due respect
Haynes is a textbook HTB but Hunte averaged under 40 away too, just in an era where no one noticed. And Gayle is ehhh by ATG standards too. Much of a muchness, really.

ataraxia

International Coach
Haynes seems somewhat ignored by CW IMO, and it seems a quick stats squizz backs that up.

Averaged 56 at home: more than makes up for his 33 away. Played 67 of 116 matches away too. Long career. A major blot is not facing his bowling teammates (yes, seriously: he faced a lower quality of bowling than most in his time). Averaged 46 in FC, largely made up of low-scoring county cricket.

Immaterial anyway for Headley should open.