• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which 4 heads would you put on a cricketing Mount Rushmore?

shortpitched713

International Captain
If they were "slaveholder glorifying" they'd hardly have Lincoln's head on Mt Rushmore ( Abe was the Great Emancipator), nor that of Teddy Roosevelt.
Despite not being an American history buff this was my first thought too…
Dudes, I'm not going to do your research for you.

Edit: **** it, but anyway, learn to Google.

"The Stone Mountain project was conceived in the 1910s, when a southerner was elected to the presidency, the nation’s capital was legally segregated, and the film Birth of a Nation was highly popular. The original idea for Stone Mountain, devised by Atlanta attorney William Terrell and supported by leader of the United Daughters of the Confederacy’s (UDC) Atlanta chapter Caroline Plane, was a bust of Robert E. Lee carved into the side of Stone Mountain. They approached Borglum with their idea, partially because of his renown for his previous work, but also because, despite being a “northerner,” he seemed sympathetic to their cause."

While it has been claimed that Borglum was a member of the Ku Klux Klan,[24] an article in the Smithsonian Magazine denies that there is proof that he officially joined the KKK.[25] That said, he became "deeply involved in Klan politics", attending Klan rallies and serving on Klan committees.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

"The Stone Mountain project was conceived in the 1910s, when a southerner was elected to the presidency, the nation’s capital was legally segregated, and the film Birth of a Nation was highly popular. The original idea for Stone Mountain, devised by Atlanta attorney William Terrell and supported by leader of the United Daughters of the Confederacy’s (UDC) Atlanta chapter Caroline Plane, was a bust of Robert E. Lee carved into the side of Stone Mountain. They approached Borglum with their idea, partially because of his renown for his previous work, but also because, despite being a “northerner,” he seemed sympathetic to their cause."

While it has been claimed that Borglum was a member of the Ku Klux Klan,[24] an article in the Smithsonian Magazine denies that there is proof that he officially joined the KKK.[25] That said, he became "deeply involved in Klan politics", attending Klan rallies and serving on Klan committees.
Why would I bother googling something I don’t have an interest in when someone can tell me the something I don’t want to know without me putting in effort.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

ok

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bradman
Sobers

Belinda Clarke and Elise Perry?

I don't even know who's considered ATG and stuff like that with women cricketers

ataraxia

International Coach
All hail Enid "averaged 60 with bat and 17 with ball" Bakewell.

Though the preponderance of players with figures like hers does suggest women's cricket was a very niche sport and not that greatly important to overall cricket history until the last decade or two. No offense meant, just being Mr. Obvious because people are taking TJB seriously.

number11

U19 Captain
how the heck does Warne get in ahead of Imran? Except maybe Australia, Imran was far more iconic everywhere.
Considered Immy vey closely. I went for the original icon [WG], the statistical GOAT [DB], the AR GOAT [Sobers] and the 4th slot was a pick'em.

Warne revived an art. Imran is the better cricketer but Warne has the historical gravitas.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Considered Immy vey closely. I went for the original icon [WG], the staridtical GOAT [DB], the AR GOAT [Sobers] and the 4th slot was a pick'em.

Warne revived an art. Imran is the better cricketer but Warne has the historical gravitas.
That was the whole point of my post. Warne has nowhere near the historical gravitas of Imran.

number11

U19 Captain
This is what happens when we venture outside of just choosing the best 4. How can one measure who was more iconic, how do we even define iconic.

Unless we're going straight popularity contest. And for the record, during his day, Garry defined iconic, popular, in demand. He was sought out for every domestic competition. The world record, the 6 sixes, the best all round cricketers ever... He drank, he partied, he literally did it all.
The best 4 cricketers ever are:

BRADMAN
SOBERS
IMRAN
MILLER

They add more to a side than any other player.