• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which 4 heads would you put on a cricketing Mount Rushmore?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr_Mister, I wish I could take credit for it but I owe it to Roy and HG. Although they're humorous, they speak a lot of sense. I remember when Tubby first took over the captaincy and Pakistan won a test over there against us by one wicket when Healy missed a stumping, and Roy and HG quite rightly opened up the discussion "Should subcontinental cricket records count?"

They decided on that occasion they shouldn't, and tbh it's a philosophy I've pretty much agreed with ever since. If you travel to a joint where the locals habitually open the bowling with spinners, you may as well just go back to the 1880s and make the game amateur again, because it takes away any physical threat and the fear factor associated with facing up to some fast stuff, which is what the opening salvos of any innings should really be about. In fact, here's some pictures just in which were taken at recent test matches in India ans Sri Lanka:

Locals "putting out their bats" for Phil Hughes pre-game:

The pre-match team photo:

Live action, day one. Note the ferocity of the local opening bowler as reflected in the positioning of the keeper:

Post-game celebratory harbour cruise for the victors:

Commemorative print of a visiting opener facing the hostility of the local opening bowler on the first morning. Limited edition of 1,500. Only $499,.00.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Good to see Timmy Rogers at square leg there in the last pic.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Allan Border Facts

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Allan Border has allowed to live.

There used to be a street named after Allan Border, but it was changed because nobody crosses Allan Border and lives.

Allan Border counted to infinity - twice.

Allan Border once kicked a horse in the chin. Its decendants are known today as Giraffes.
Lol.. does not hold a candle to the cricketing God amongst men who once, when given a target of 2 runs off 1 ball, won it with a ball to spare.

Sir Jadeja >>>≥>>>>>>>>>>>> The Fake Old Grumpy AB

Burgey

Lol, imagine some trumped up wannabe like Jadeja trying his gangsta bull**** on The One True AB.

In fact, you can't imagine it, because no one would try that **** on The One True AB. One glare from the great man to Jadeja and let's face it the latter would probably not play cricket again out of plain fear.

Last edited:

Daemon

Burgey getting pretty chirpy of late for someone who's team was demolished by the very team he takes so much pleasure in deriding

Burgey

Well tbf time travel ain't easy. Look at what happens when those sides travel to the 21st century over here and have to play in colour.

Only one man transcends that sort of thing. Only one man transcends time with peerless performances everywhere against everyone:

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
What's so good about that then?? So Alan Border achieved in 2 attempts in a test match what the good players do in 1!!

Reckon 333 + 123 in a test tops him......Gooch for Mt Rusmore
100 in a test immensely helps your team. Some players are known for throwing away their hundreds, so falling short of going on with it(150) is just being inadequate . About 150 is the mark of the player who scored a century and was dominant about it. Anything more is just wanker runs. They don't really count as far as changing the outlook of the test. So what we have here is that only one player has played the 'perfect' innings (defined as 150) twice in a match. Gooch, in your example may have scored more but 183 of them reminded people that he was being a wanker, and another 27 that he was inadequate. Throughout the innings Gooch was 55% wanker and 21% inadequate.

Now look at AB! This stat might alone prove that he is truly top echelon.... 303 runs in a game at only 1% wanker and 0% inadequacy.

Burgey

100 in a test immensely helps your team. Some players are known for throwing away their hundreds, so falling short of going on with it(150) is just being inadequate . About 150 is the mark of the player who scored a century and was dominant about it. Anything more is just wanker runs. They don't really count as far as changing the outlook of the test. So what we have here is that only one player has played the 'perfect' innings (defined as 150) twice in a match. Gooch, in your example may have scored more but 183 of them reminded people that he was being a wanker, and another 27 that he was inadequate. Throughout the innings Gooch was 55% wanker and 21% inadequate.

Now look at AB! This stat might alone prove that he is truly top echelon.... 303 runs in a game at only 1% wanker and 0% inadequacy.
This may be the​ definitive cricketing post in CW history.

the big bambino

International Captain
Border would be at the top of Mount Rushmore and all the other members of that 1984/85 team should be below him. Make those pricks carry him for a change.

Burgey

Border would be at the top of Mount Rushmore and all the other members of that 1984/85 team should be below him. Make those pricks carry him for a change.
So true. In fact, put the faces of every living Australian and half the dead ones at the base of the statue, because he carried the whole country through the course of his entire career.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

:laugh: Reckon I may have to tip my hat and pay that........very well played sir.

Though I'm gonna have to steel your "wanker runs" (this needs to become a CW meme ftr) in the next Bradman is God discussion...........take away his wanker runs and then see what the ****s average is eh:ph34r:

TheJediBrah

Though I'm gonna have to steel your "wanker runs" (this needs to become a CW meme ftr) in the next Bradman is God discussion...........take away his wanker runs and then see what the ****s average is eh:ph34r:
probably still about twice as good as everyone else tbh

Burgey

So good you worked this out. Means he spent 20% of his time batting proving he was a wanker, but I don't think many people really thought otherwise of him as a bloke anyway.

Victor Ian

International Coach
So good you worked this out. Means he spent 20% of his time batting proving he was a wanker, but I don't think many people really thought otherwise of him as a bloke anyway.
for quick comparison. (Name | % wanker runs)
Bradman 19.5%
Tendulkar 4.4%
Ponting 4.4%
Border 1.6%

I would love to see a revised all time averages, sans wanker runs, if one of those guys with a database could be bothered.

Last edited:

Burgey

Yep, and no one could argue that Border is less of a wanker than any of those blokes. Sure it's a close run thing between he and Ponting, who I suspect really isn't in the Tendulkar class of wanker but just felt he had to compete in the same era with him, so he's excused.

What about BC Lara? Massive scores were his thing, just saying.....

Howe_zat

Audio File
VI has somewhere in there the beginnings of a point

Runs past a certain point usually don't really help your team, hence why declarations exist, but they count just as much towards your average.

I would put the mark for wanker runs closer to 250 than 150 though.

Last edited:

Burgey

I would hasten to say that no other great batsman in the game has less wanker runs than TOTAB. Why? He's the anti-wanker.

Edit: below is how TOTAB deals with wankers:

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

for quick comparison. (Name | % wanker runs)
Bradman 19.5%
Tendulkar 4.4%
Ponting 4.4%
Border 1.6%

I would love to see a revised all time averages, sans wanker runs, if one of those guys with a database could be bothered.
would be a very simple matter to calculate from what you've already posted here (ie % of wanker runs)