• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where will Kohli end up among Asian batsmen?

subshakerz

International Coach
When Kohli was going hot in 2018, he looked at a certain point to threaten Tendulkar's status as Asia's greatest bat.

But his decline since then has caused him to slip. The next tier below Tendulkar is Gavaskar/Sangakarra/Dravid and then Miandad/Younis Khan/Sehwag/Inzi, not necessarily in that order.

Where is Kohli likely to end up? If he peaks again, can he reach no.2?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
There is very little chance that Kohli will peak again.

Also, Kohli never threatened Tendulkar's status even at his peak. Yes, he was a God in ODIs at one point and had a good chance to overtake Tendulkar's ODI records but that chance is also slowly getting eroded now.

Gavaskar Sanga and Younis Khan are in the second tier next to Tendulkar or same tier as him.

Kohli will end up in the tier after that being clubbed with Dravid/Miandad/Sehwag/Inzi.

subshakerz

International Coach
There is very little chance that Kohli will peak again.

Also, Kohli never threatened Tendulkar's status even at his peak. Yes, he was a God in ODIs at one point and had a good chance to overtake Tendulkar's ODI records but that chance is also slowly getting eroded now.

Gavaskar Sanga and Younis Khan are in the second tier next to Tendulkar or same tier as him.

Kohli will end up in the tier after that being clubbed with Dravid/Miandad/Sehwag/Inzi.
Why can't he peak again? His issues seem more mental than technical.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Why can't he peak again? His issues seem more mental than technical.
I don't know. I was also hoping match after match that he will be back to his form again, but giving up now. He looks shot and the confidence and swagger he had earlier in his batting is long gone now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will probably end up having a beer with a few of them at a pub somewhere at a sportsman’s night

subshakerz

International Coach
Kohli will never score a century again
He likely will, but that is besides the point. He can get a century but still going along muddling around averaging in the 30s zone like Ponting in his late career.

The question is whether he will get into top form again. I think he can but I don't think he can go for more than 1-2 years in this sort of form and not risk having to retire.

OverratedSanity

He'll have a good run at some point in the next two years and end up equal-ish with Dravid and behind Gavaskar among Indian bats imo. As of right now, he's really not done enough. He had a tremendous peak and the chunk of that peak in 2018 where he dominated in nightmare series for batsmen was amazing. But outside of that he's really not been consistent enough.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Younis Khan is rated a tier ahead of Rahul Dravid?
Oops that's a bad miss. I will move Dravid up but retain Younis Khan there. Younis Khan was really good. But Kohli to me is still a rung below them. Needs to have a second wave to get into that Gavaskar Dravid tier.

Xuhaib

International Coach
He is somewhere close to Sehwag right now with another good run he will reach Dravid/Sunny G tier I feel Sachin tier is out of his reach however will end as a top5 sub cont bat off all time.

My current rankings
Sachin
Gavaskar/ Sanga/David
Younis/Miandad
Inzi/Sehwag /Kohli
Mahela/laxman/Mo Yo

I think next run of form 18-24 months him past Younis & JM and in to 2nd tier.

Burgey

I think he’s being judged pretty harshly here tbh, maybe because of this lean patch he’s in. He’s a gun player imo. Could only definitively put tendulkar as clearly ahead of him in this discussion. Think he’s every bit the player the others being discussed are.

All personal preference I suppose, but jeez he’s a terrific player

subshakerz

International Coach
I think he’s being judged pretty harshly here tbh, maybe because of this lean patch he’s in. He’s a gun player imo. Could only definitively put tendulkar as clearly ahead of him in this discussion. Think he’s every bit the player the others being discussed are.

In terms of potential for achieving greatness, I think only Tendulkar and maybe Gavaskar are ahead of Kohli. But if he retired today, there would be a strong sense that he had much unfulfilled in his career and more accomplished guys like Sanga and Dravid should be ahead. He basically had a great five year peak but that is it.

The other reality is that his decline has damaged his reputation signifcantly. He is no longer feared despite being still in his physical prime.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

Both Tendulkar and Gavaskar are clearly still ahead of him. Do you believe Kohli is ahead of Dravid and Sehwag as well among Indian batsmen already?

Burgey

I think he's ahead of Sehwag, yeah. Dravid is about 50/50 I guess. Like I said, I think it's hard to say these guys are definitively better than him. Could argue one way or the other, but there seems to be a bit of a prevalent view he isn't in the top echelon and not worthy of comparison, and I think that's harsh on him.