• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does longevity kick in for you? Rank these bowlers

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
James Anderson>Kapil Dev>Tim Southee >Brett Lee >Chris Martin >Peter Siddle >Shoaib Akhtar >Jasprit Bumrah >Fidel Edwards >Ryan Harris> Shane Bond>Umar Gul

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one except PFK considers Kapil to be ATG bowler. However I do think , he is ATG cricketer and he would have made atleast 95% of teams that have played ( not hypothetical ATG teams ).
Is that requirement for ATG though? Because 95% of teams had at least a passenger or two in it. Sourav Ganguly would probably make most teams in history, I'd have him over Gus Logie in the 80s Windies powerhouse team. But nobody calls him ATG

sunilz

International Regular
Is that requirement for ATG though? Because 95% of teams had at least a passenger or two in it. Sourav Ganguly would probably make most teams in history, I'd have him over Gus Logie in the 80s Windies powerhouse team. But nobody calls him ATG
Ganguly would have been potential ATG if his record against Aus team of 95-07 was like Kapil's against WI and he would also have around 150-200 test wickets @ 34-35

_00_deathscar

International Regular
No but that's clearly not the only requirement. Are you arguing that Kapil wasn't an ATG cricketer (rather than an ATG bat or bowler)?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ganguly would have been potential ATG if his record against Aus team of 95-07 was like Kapil's against WI and he would also have around 150-200 test wickets @ 34-35
I'm jumping in at the end of this but in what galaxy is Ganguly averaging 34-35 with the ball in Test cricket

mr_mister

No but that's clearly not the only requirement. Are you arguing that Kapil wasn't an ATG cricketer (rather than an ATG bat or bowler)?
He had ATG performances in him no doubt but I don't consider him ATG due to his overall averages

If we lower the requirements for ATG allrounder to ~30 with bat and ball we're opening the books up to any ol riff raff

ATG all round stats should be Imran-Miller-Faulkner-Sobers stuff

He was obviously a very famous cricketer but so was Ian Chappell

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know how Ganguly entered this discussion but I recall when Ganguly was young and knocking at Indian team's doors, he was touted to be best all-round talent in Indian domestic circuit. Not merely can-bowl-occasionally kind of player he became on international stage. Shows how transition from domestic to international can be difficult and force players to re-assess their roles and styles.

mr_mister

Ganguly opened the bowling at times right? Makes me think he was occasionally in the top 2 pace bowlers at times for his country. And from Kapil to Zaheer, other then Srinath and Prasad, who the **** was there?

mr_mister

And that one random dude with the completey out of place anglo name, Dave something

And if course, Agarkar. But Ganguly could bowl!

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ganguly opened the bowling at times right? Makes me think he was occasionally in the top 2 pace bowlers at times for his country. And from Kapil to Zaheer, other then Srinath and Prasad, who the **** was there?
This series was the peak Ganguly or peak any cricketer probably in ODIs.

Xuhaib

International Coach
This series was the peak Ganguly or peak any cricketer probably in ODIs.

It's the series where Mohanty had Saeed Anwar in his pocket possibly the only time India kept Anwar in check.

There is a funny Sachin interview on YT about this where Anwar went up to Sachin and asked where the hell did you find this Mohanty. I leave the ball it comes in, I play it hits the edge.

mr_mister

It's the series where Mohanty had Saeed Anwar in his pocket possibly the only time India kept Anwar in check.

There is a funny Sachin interview on YT about this where Anwar went up to Sachin and asked where the hell did you find this Mohanty. I leave the ball it comes in, I play it hits the edge.
So that's what got Mohanty enough cred to feature on the logo for the '99 WC

Why did he fall out of favour so fast?