• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where Did It All Go Wrong?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well given that they'd at least done something (unlike those who were selected, who'd even fallen short at the domestic level), I'd say they'd have been better picks than those who got in instead...
Would have to agree with you there.The likes of Wharf and Bresnan only had modest domestic records and were better in 4 day cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not like they'd done anything of note there, either.

It's not merely those 2, though - they're just the worst of all the cases.

Seriously, no seamer picked in ODIs in the last 4 years had done anything to merit it whatsoever except maybe Jonathan Lewis.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They were proven better than just about every bowler that was picked.

And amazingly, just about every bowler that's been picked has turned-out absolutely crap...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
For starters England needs a coach with ODI mentality -a dedicated ODI coach someone like Fairbrother or Steve Rixon might be a good choice .

Then they need select the right players for the ODI team.

There's enough talented players in the English counties, unfortunately the right ones are not getting picked, IMO.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
For starters England needs a coach with ODI mentality -a dedicated ODI coach someone like Fairbrother or Steve Rixon might be a good choice .

There's enough talented players in the English counties, unfortunately the right ones are not getting picked, IMO.

Bringing domestic One Day competitions in line with how ODI's are played would also help (been said a lot).

Maybe even schedule more ODI's...:mellow:

Great piece of writing, Richard. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How have they been proven better than others when they've not been tried?
Both the Mahmood-Plunkett types and the Mascarenhas-MJ types have been tried at the domestic level.

The Harmison-Plunkett-Broad types have also been tried at the domestic level - and done very poorly. The Mascarenhas-MJ types have done better. The fact that said domestic poor-perfomers have also been woeful at international level suggests that those who outperformed them at the domestic level would be likely to do a similar thing at the international - had they got the chance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's certainly IMO something worth considering - but as with the players, for most the idea of separate coaches will probably prove to inconceivable to get the go-ahead.

I'd certainly like to see Duncan Fletcher remain in charge of the Test side - but possibly not in the ODIs. Trouble is, hindsight (ie the Hussain-Vaughan situation in 2003) suggests such a thing would only cause problems if there was any instant-success in the ODIs.

There are some, but there certainly aren't as many as in other countries.

And IMO the formats used at our domestic level don't help that. 40-over cricket isn't horrendously different from 50-over, but it's certainly not the same, either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bringing domestic One Day competitions in line with how ODI's are played would also help (been said a lot).

Maybe even schedule more ODI's...:mellow:
To quote a certain someone - the last time that was suggested it "went down like a bottle of Tizer at an Ashes piss-up"
Great piece of writing, Richard. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks. :)