• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's the deal with old English openers?

Flem274*

123/5
you don’t appear to realise that if you play against a stronger opponent more frequently your average will be higher.

it is modern bowlers figures that are flattered because they play more often against mediocre or minnow opponents.
There were two good teams and then several bad ones early on tbf. I've seen some of the early era NZ bowlers. They wouldn't play Senior A let alone Premier Grade today. Look at Cave and Cresswell below:

the big bambino

International Captain
There were two good teams and then several bad ones early on tbf. I've seen some of the early era NZ bowlers. They wouldn't play Senior A let alone Premier Grade today. Look at Cave and Cresswell below:

I’ve seen chatfield cairns Snedden and a few others. Harris. All looked funny and effete but were still effective. So we can all go rotten apple picking, point and laugh, to make a point.

There are more good players around. Because, you know, more teams and people play the game.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean there are more good sides. You’ve heard of the big 3. Even more pronounced now that SA batting is 1st class level at best and NZ haven’t repeated the form after they lucked into the wtc final.

the 60s had 4 good sides out of 7. Hobbs day 2 out of 3. Even that’s misleading as the best English players would’ve spent most of their time v Aus rather than sharing matches with that opponent and SA. Therefore less opportunity for softening your figures against mediocre and fledgling teams.

Fully agree with the opening post

Transport Rory Burns to the early 20th century and he would have statistics very similar to Hobbs/ Sutcliffe etc. Same for Zack Crawely too

I do rate Hutton much higher though at least he faced up to Lindwall and Miller
I would like to have seen any human being say this when Sydney Barnes was still alive.
I mean are people joking,Barney would have made those guys,Burns,Crawley etc. a joke even at 65.
And I can’t imagine Burns and Crawley going up against Tiger O’Reilly.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I would like to have seen any human being say this when Sydney Barnes was still alive.
I mean are people joking,Barney would have made those guys,Burns,Crawley etc. a joke even at 65.
And I can’t imagine Burns and Crawley going up against Tiger O’Reilly.
And Barnes was just a club bowler in the Lancashire League, imagine how great the others were.