• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's A Safe Total On A Belter ??

What's A Safe Total On A Belter That You Could Back Your Team To Defend

• 300-310

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 310-320

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 320-330

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • 330-340

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 340-350

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • 350+

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters

Swervy

International Captain
That wonderful opening-attack of Merv Hughes and Tony Dodemaide...

What's the odds on Tait, Hilfenhaus et al turning-out like him and David Gilbert?
Dodemaide wasnt a bad bowler to be fair.

That actually was an ok bowling attack in that game

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That wonderful opening-attack of Merv Hughes and Tony Dodemaide...

What's the odds on Tait, Hilfenhaus et al turning-out like him and David Gilbert?
Bit unfair on Dodemaide, methinks. Especially as an ODI bowler, and an average of 28 isn't too bad in Tests...

Swervy

International Captain
Well it felt something pretty similar when NZ chased-down Australia's 330-plus scores twice in a row (and they damn near did a similar thing 2 years ago, remember).
the difference between these last few games by NZ and that 1982/83 game was that the 82/83 game was so far out of kilter from everything else that had happen previously, and for a number of year after as well.

What happened yesterday etc was inevitably going to happen soon, because it has already happened.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dodemaide wasnt a bad bowler to be fair.
Dodemaide was no great bowler. He got 2 7-fors and not a lot else. Had he played in an era less rich in seam-bowling talent he'd probably have played more and had a lesser record.

No, he wasn't the worst you'll ever see but he certainly wasn't anywhere close to the McDermott-Reid-Alderman-Lawson league.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
shhh...its because he has probably never heard of him until he just saw the scorecard!!!:)
Bull****.

Tony Dodemaide is a very, very well-known figure as an administrator over here, in case you don't know. But he certainly wasn't a particularly good Test bowler.

And if I hadn't heard of him, how come I know names like Rex Sellars and David Sincock?

Swervy

International Captain
Bull****.

Tony Dodemaide is a very, very well-known figure as an administrator over here, in case you don't know. But he certainly wasn't a particularly good Test bowler.

And if I hadn't heard of him, how come I know names like Rex Sellars and David Sincock?
let me just reel this one in:laugh:

Swervy

International Captain
Dodemaide was no great bowler. He got 2 7-fors and not a lot else. Had he played in an era less rich in seam-bowling talent he'd probably have played more and had a lesser record.

No, he wasn't the worst you'll ever see but he certainly wasn't anywhere close to the McDermott-Reid-Alderman-Lawson league.
The funny thing is Richard, he probably wasnt the worst bowler you'll NEVER see, so how you make judgements about a player based on his cricinfo profile or whatever is beyond me.Please stop making assumptions about players you have little knowledge of, because you look foolish I am afraid

No-one said he was a great bowler, but he was a pretty good bowler, you initially intimated that he was a poor bowler, which he wasnt

Swervy

International Captain
Let me just yank this line into the river...
nah, you are already netted, skinned, gutted, sat on the shelf at Tescos, bought, cooked, eaten, and expelled from the body, and flushed back out to sea.

Done like a kipper:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The funny thing is Richard, he probably wasnt the worst bowler you'll NEVER see, so how you make judgements about a player based on his cricinfo profile or whatever is beyond me.Please stop making assumptions about players you have little knowledge of, because you look foolish I am afraid

No-one said he was a great bowler, but he was a pretty good bowler, you initially intimated that he was a poor bowler, which he wasnt
So you know that I have NEVER and will NEVER see him bowl, do you?

I've seen and read a damn sight more than you seem capable of comprehending, so please stop making assumptions about my knowledge of the game's history. Just because someone played before your lifetime doesn't mean you can't
a) watch them play or
b) know much about them even if you haven't

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
nah, you are already netted, skinned, gutted, sat on the shelf at Tescos, bought, cooked, eaten, and expelled from the body, and flushed back out to sea.

Done like a kipper:laugh:
You watched that as well, did you...

That imagination of yours is playing overtime this evening...

Swervy

International Captain
So you know that I have NEVER and will NEVER see him bowl, do you?
yeah pretty much, I doubt that you have seen much more than the odd ball of highlights.

And if you had watched much of him, why the hell are you making out he was such a poor bowler. You either havent seen him play, or you are a pretty poor judge of the game.....

actually..yeah you probably have watched him..I will go with the second of the two above options

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
yeah pretty much, I doubt that you have seen much more than the odd ball of highlights.

And if you had watched much of him, why the hell are you making out he was such a poor bowler. You either havent seen him play, or you are a pretty poor judge of the game.....

actually..yeah you probably have watched him..I will go with the second of the two above options
There's a surprise. 8-)

I'm making-out that he wasn't very good because he wasn't. And if he had been, he'd be held in the esteem that the likes of Gary Gilmour, Alan Hurst and others who've been kept out of the team by a wealth of bowling talent are. But he's not. And I don't need to have watched every ball of his career to tell that.
watched what???
Said instance.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dodemaide was a good bowler when he had everything technically right. He tended to be a guy who'd have a couple of good seasons before a bad one - funnily enough his bad ones coincided with when he lost his outswinger. He had a hard enough work ethic to ensure that he got it back and found form again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Terry Alderman wasn't totally unlike that, either, but the two aren't close to being in the same league (and Alderman would've been even better than he was but for injuries and electing for rebel-tours).

Swervy

International Captain
Well Terry Alderman wasn't totally unlike that, either, but the two aren't close to being in the same league (and Alderman would've been even better than he was but for injuries and electing for rebel-tours).
well you dont know he would have been better, its speculation, you may well have been right, but no-one knows.
BTW Alderman was class, but only really in England, else where, a lot of people would have been wondering what the fuss was about

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Alderman produced plenty of decent performances in Australia, too, y'know - his magnum-opus just happened to be his 2 tours of England. He only played 9 Tests outside England and Australia, and 4 of those were in New Zealand too.

Alderman was better than Dodemaide. That's why he played 41 Tests (and would've been many, many more but for injury and rebel-tours) to Dodemaide's 10. But he, too, had troughs in his form.