• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would be your England ODI XI ?

Swervy

International Captain
And I think, looking at his output, that he's not anywhere near as good as people talk him up to be.

I know both what his average proper (ie, against ODI-standard sides) and doctored (ie, with nonsense like Ireland, Canada and Bangladesh included) is, too. And that ain't impressive either.
but obviously, crcket isnt all about averages is it!!!:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
but obviously, crcket isnt all about averages is it!!!:)
No. Averages, however, can tell you what's happened in the games that have happened.

And even if you don't cumulate, as I say (in the part of the post I don't know if you read or not, as you didn't quote it), you can look on an innings-by-innings basis and see the truth of the situation.

Swervy

International Captain
No. Averages, however, can tell you what's happened in the games that have happened.

And even if you don't cumulate, as I say (in the part of the post I don't know if you read or not, as you didn't quote it), you can look on an innings-by-innings basis and see the truth of the situation.

is that watching the game, or watching the scorecard?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've watched pretty much every single England ODI since before Collingwood started his career, yes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I hardly ever agree with the England ODI side which is picked. If everyone was fit who would you play, 1-11 ?

I would go:

Trescothick
Prior
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Shah
Flintoff
Mascerenhas
S Jones
Plunkett
Panesar.

I feel this side would be attacking at the top of the order, with stability provided by Bopara at 3 (although still scoring at a quicker pace than Bell for example). Pietersen to come in at 4 and express himself with Collingwood ticking the runs along at 5. Shah could be interchangable with Collingwood but has shown excellent recent form with the bat. Flintoff lower down the order because his batting has been below par recently, however we all know what he can do. Coming in with maybe 10 overs remaining he could really have a swing of the bat low down. Mascerenhas is steady with the bat and again could help lower down the order. Jones, Plunkett and Panesar aren't completely rubbish with the bat and can all help a little in the tail.

Add to this the fact that we would have Panesar, Flintoff, S Jones, Plunkett, Mascerenhas, Collingwood, Pietersen, Bopara and Trescothick to bowl - I think it could be a great team!
100% agreed here except that i would have a Anderson over Plunks, but otherwise would take that ODI side once all are fit.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I really don't want Prior to open the innings in ODIs, it's stupid, he's obviously not good enough and we only put him there because Australia does it, which is a ****e way to run a side.
Yes Australia does it with Gilchrist, but I don't think if England were to make Prior position at the top of the order a permanent thing it would have been totally influenced by the fact that Gilchrist does it (although it must be admitted that Gilly's success in that role has certainly made all sides wish they had one like him). But Prior certainly has the game to become a competent ODI opener can't.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well I dont even know what his average (doctored or proper) is, but watching him play, I think he is a damned useful addition to the England ODI team
word out yo, Richard assesment on Collingwood is way harsh. England are bloody lucky to have him.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James Adams
Joe Denly
Owais Shah
David Sales
Ravi Bopara
Paul Collingwood
'Richard' Nixon
Graham Napier
Tom Smith
Liam Plunkett
Steve Kirby

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. Marcus Trescothick
2. Alastair Cook
3. Jonathan Trott
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Matt Prior
8. Dimitri Mascarenhas
9. Ian Blackwell
10. Jon Lewis
11. Jimmy Anderson

dcnstntn

Cricket Spectator
1. Marcus Trescothick
2. Alastair Cook
3. Jonathan Trott
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Andrew Flintoff
7. Matt Prior
8. Dimitri Mascarenhas
9. Ian Blackwell
10. Jon Lewis
11. Jimmy Anderson
I can't believe Bopara wouldn't feature in your side and Blackwell is included despite his not so good past form. A batting average of not quite 15 over a fair amount of games indicates to me, he just isn't good enough.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can't believe Bopara wouldn't feature in your side and Blackwell is included despite his not so good past form. A batting average of not quite 15 over a fair amount of games indicates to me, he just isn't good enough.
Considering I picked him at #9, his batting wasn't all that relevant to me, obviously. Best spin option ATM, IMO.

Bopara is vastly over-rated. He had a decent WC amongst a team that was horrible and he's been treated like the second coming of Fairbrother. He's not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Absolutely. He showed superb calm, that's about it. His range of strokes, currently, is not as impressive as some candidates.